Can any program speed up video files without changing the pitch?

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
VLC player has a nifty feature to speed up movies without changing the pitch, so the voices don't sound like chipmunks despite playing at 120-130% normal speed. I'm looking for any software that will allow me to do this to downloaded videos and save them with the higher playback speed preserved. I've tried lowering the frame rate with programs like VirtualDub, but the audio always gets badly out of sync with the video. Any suggestions?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
You can split out the audio with VirtualDub, and "Effect -> Change Tempo" with Audacity. (Tutorial if you need one.) Then adjust the framerate to match. No guarantee the audio will get back in sync when you merge it back in with VirtualDub, but you have a better chance this way.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
How did I know Berryracer was going to be in this thread. He always seems to have weird little programs for this type of thing...

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
I'm not sure exactly what his angle is but he makes it seem like he's shamelessly pushing software he has a hand in profiting from.

I can't explain it though.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I don't think Smooth Video Project does what the OP wants. The OP wants to make his videos play faster, so that an hour-long video is shown in 45 minutes, say, but not add more frames. SVP interpolates more frames, but doesn't actually make a video play faster.

OT: I once did something like SVP with an AviSynth filter called MVBob.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I'm not sure exactly what his angle is but he makes it seem like he's shamelessly pushing software he has a hand in profiting from.

I can't explain it though.

how the heck am I making profit from an excellent program that I have no ties to? what a muppet :rolleyes: