Can a thunderstorm deplete a battery in an unplugged laptop?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
So I am traveling in the Chicago area, with my laptop. Here is what happened: At the hotel, it was plugged in and charging, about 99-100%. I am going out, so I put it to hibernate, unplug it and pack it up. Outside it is raining and thunder storming/lightning flashes. I get in the car to go to my grandma's house, and take my laptop there inside. I don't actually get a chance to use my laptop there, and do not try to power it on till I am back in the hotel room. I have not plugged it in yet. Weird, the laptop is very warm. It will not turn on. I plug it in, now it turns on, resumes from hibernation, and windows says 0%, plugged and charging.

Does this make any sense? What happened here? Can the static from the storm cause a battery to discharge from 100% to 0? As I type this, it is charging, about 62%. Seems ok, but was the battery damaged, or is this unrelated to the thunderstorm and my battery is just going bad?

A few quick google searches don't find anything on the topic. Thanks.

Feb 25, 2011
Not unless it got hit by lightning.

Your laptop probably woke itself up and ran its battery down. That's why it was super-hot - the lid was closed. It happens.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had a similar problem with on of my laptops. I was shutting it down or hibernating it, and Windows was turning it on / waking it up.

The way I worked around it was to set Windows to auto-hibernate after 30 minutes of inactivity. (Setting in Advanced Power Properties.)

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ok thanks, I guess that makes sense.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Disable wake timers in power management.

I had a battery leak on my cheapo laptop overnight, made a mess all over my teble and have no idea how it happened, so now I have a battery-less laptop that I have to plug in if I want to use it (which I don't anymore).