Can a poodle survive 34 degree weather

cpmer

Jan 22, 2005
How long can a poodle survive out in 34 degree weather. It has been outside now for 5 hours and we dont know where it went. Its 10 at night now so im wondering if it can survive till morning.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
It will probably find a way unless it's really tiny (Like a teacup poodle), it's a baby, or it's sick.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: cpmer
How long can a poodle survive out in 34 degree weather. It has been outside now for 5 hours and we dont know where it went. Its 10 at night now so im wondering if it can survive till morning.

how furry is it?

really depends on if it finds proper shelter. if so it should be fine.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
I guess you will find out when you find either your dog or a poodlesicle. Why can you not find your dog? Did you just let it roam?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You better find that poor thing. We have two poodles (one is 7 pounds, the other is 9 pounds). They wouldn't last in that weather outside.

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
I'd keep looking, but hope someone has already found it and taken it inside. Good luck. :beer:

Merlyn3D

Platinum Member
Sep 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: NFS4
You better find that poor thing. We have two poodles (one is 7 pounds, the other is 9 pounds). They wouldn't last in that weather outside.

you do not have poodles, you have rats

Hahaha

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

You have toy poodles. Regular poodles, that were once used for hunting are quite a bit bigger. If the OP has a toy poodle it probably wont make it unless it has a full coat.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

HAR HAR HAR :roll:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

Meh, let them make fun. Poodles are good dogs. Sure, they get mixed in with that foo-foo crowd, but they're loyal, playful, and very smart.

cpmer

Jan 22, 2005
I spy a dog across the street on neighboors front porch. I win. Whole family out looking for 5 hours and the nerd the at computer desk finds the missing dog.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

Meh, let them make fun. Poodles are good dogs. Sure, they get mixed in with that foo-foo crowd, but they're loyal, playful, and very smart.

You forgot ugly as all hell. ;)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8
Poodle

It's not a very ugly dog. There are plenty of others that are worse. What are those crappy dogs called, pomeranians? :shudder: Those things suck.

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
Originally posted by: cpmer
I spy a dog across the street on neighboors front porch. I win. Whole family out looking for 5 hours and the nerd the at computer desk finds the missing dog.

Glad you found it. I wondered about this all night. :beer:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Glad you found it. Unless it's a toy poodle that is shaved bald (except for the pom-pom thingies on the feet and tip of tail, making it look like it belongs to a family of clowns) then 34 degrees is NOT that cold for a dog. Must be you mild weathered Californians shudder at the thought of 32 degrees. :p It was in the 20's here this morning, and our little baby goats were running around having a ball - smaller than a poodle (5 pounds at birth, they're 2 weeks old)

A regular poodle (not a toy poodle) could be left outside for weeks at 34 degrees, as long as it had some shelter to go into (plus food and water, of course). That is, unless its owners were the type to shave the poor animal nearly bald. The function of their hair is to keep them warm; it doesn't make sense to shave them before the winter. (unless you're the type to get little sweaters and jackets for your dogs.)

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

one of the smartest dogs going. check any site for that.

but they are also sensitive to the cold and more likely to get frostbite and hypothermia.
glad you found your poodle OP. they never wander far unlike other breeds which would take off for good if not tied up or fenced in. my toy poodle won't leave the yard and it doesn't have any kind of fence around it.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8

they are far from what i'd call ugly

my pup

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Wreckem

You have toy poodles. Regular poodles, that were once used for hunting are quite a bit bigger. If the OP has a toy poodle it probably wont make it unless it has a full coat.

My neighbor had a large poodle, very large. That poodle sniffed my pet duck and my duck bit him on the nose. The dog was kept on a tether. Whenever my duck came around that poodle would go nuts to stay away from that duck. BTW, a dog finally killed my duck after 7 years, but she had a quality life.

Ducks Are Funny

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Cute poodle :) I clicked on the link, thinking "don't let it look like one of those show poodles with the (continental?) clip" I had 2 pet poodles when I was growing up; a toy poodle (she became mean when she got older), and a full sized poodle. I don't like most of the toy poodles I've met, but standard poodles are awesome.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Cute poodle :) I clicked on the link, thinking "don't let it look like one of those show poodles with the (continental?) clip" I had 2 pet poodles when I was growing up; a toy poodle (she became mean when she got older), and a full sized poodle. I don't like most of the toy poodles I've met, but standard poodles are awesome.
i hate "gussied up" poodles. mine just gets a cut at the groomers - nothing fancy.