Can a plugged/worn PCV valve cause the engine to overheat?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
People here are far too paranoid about coolant. As long as there isn't a big green streak running down your driveway and into a drain you'll be fine - make sure there is none left on the road for a dog or cat to come and drink. Once it's in the drain there is no problem it will become dilute enough that nothing could be harmed by it. Coolant isn't really very toxic at low levels, you have to drink quite a lot of it to get sick. You should taste it, it really tastes very good. It's quite sweet.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Getting back on topic...(ah hell, I forgot...this is OFF-topic.;) ) Zygmunt is one of my favorite places for import part.
Note, these are for the Q45 NOT the touring model...check the base URL site if you have the touring model...

Edit...crap, can't hotlink to the parts
Here's the address...look them up yourselt:
http://www.bimmerparts.com/index.html

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Originally posted by: Squisher
Yeah back On topic, drain like 1/2 to 1 gallon out of the radiator bottom pitcock, save it, and pour it back in when you're done.
Thank you for the tip.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: goku
Originally posted by: funboy42
Originally posted by: goku
Originally posted by: funboy42
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
Originally posted by: AnyMal
Originally posted by: bctbct
Doubtful, when the car temp is high does the heater work? If you start the car and drive and the temp starts getting high but your heater does not work, thermostat is sticking.

It's been fairly worm last couple of days so I didn't use the heat but I'll try. So you're saying that a faulty thermostat may cause car to overheat?

Does the car overheat and then suddenly go back to normal temp?

Yes

Thats a sign that the thermostat is sticking. Part is usually about $10 and pretty easy to fix depending where it is located. Now this is the thermostat in the radiator hose not on your heater controls.

PCV would effect engine performance.

Well, it's a strart. Thanks for your help :)

Edit: would replacing it require me to drain the radiator?

No, you just need to remove the thermostat housing. A lot of coolant will come out of course so you will need to re-fill the radiator but you don't need to drain it before doing the job. Remember to either catch all the coolant in a bucket is make sure you wash it ALL down the drain because animals like to drink it and it kills them.

NO DO NOT DUMP IT DOWN THE DRAIN!!!!!!!!! It is highly poisonous and in every state it is against the law to dump antifreeze down the drain, let it run out onto the ground, or into a storm sewer. Catch it all, bottle it back up in the coolant jug and then take it to any parts place for proper recycling.
PLEASE!

That is even worse advice than the one you're quoting... WTF would you let it go on the ground and into the storm drain? HTF are you suppose to 'catch' it once it hits the storm drain? Whats worse is that you're letting that stuff touch the ground and get into the storm drain, it will still contaminate the ground and then get washed away with the rain which is bad.

Learn how to read you stupid fvck. its against the law to do anything I said, its all one thing not just down the drain, but to let it drain onto the ground, and not all people live where it is paved ass hat so letting it drain onto the earth when your neighbor may be on a well system isnt to smart. I was just covering all basses so the op, and other members, understand it needs to be recycled and not drained anywhere. You drain it into a drain bucket, you buy at the parts store (it has a drain spout built into the bucket), and then pour that into your now empty antifreeze container. DUH :p

Wow, wow, wow, wow, I complement you again for a wonderful reply. It was well thought out and well written, and I feel you should keep up the good work. Complements all around to you my good man for the fine reading job you did before commenting my reply.

your screen name is decieving.
So is yours, and you could have fixed the bold tags.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
People here are far too paranoid about coolant. As long as there isn't a big green streak running down your driveway and into a drain you'll be fine - make sure there is none left on the road for a dog or cat to come and drink. Once it's in the drain there is no problem it will become dilute enough that nothing could be harmed by it. Coolant isn't really very toxic at low levels, you have to drink quite a lot of it to get sick. You should taste it, it really tastes very good. It's quite sweet.

Maybe I'll enjoy a tall, cool glass of coolant with dinner tomorrow. :confused: