Can a newbie builder get help?

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by JoongJok, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JoongJok

JoongJok Member

Hello,

I just built a new custom PC; everything is connected but it won't boot but instead make a high pitch sound. I did try to plug in the VCard, CPU, 1 stick of RAM and the power supply onto to the motherboard on a cardboard box and it seems to work fine but when it's on the case, it still has the same effect as before, no booting and high pitch noise. I also removed any extra standoffs but I still think something is wrong with the case or the motherboard. Any suggestions? ;(

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AMD 9 Series FX Motherboard

AMD FD4300WMHKBOX FX-4300 Four-Core 3.8GHz AM3+ Processor

Coolmax ZU Series ZU-800B 800W Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

Corsair CC-9011013-WW Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case

If you need anymore information, please ask. I've been waiting so long for my first beauty to work.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - newbie builder Forum Date
    Newbie help creating first time backup routine Computer Help Nov 25, 2014
    PC Custom Build Newbie Computer Help Nov 19, 2013
    Newbie who has no idea what she's doing- Computer Build Computer Help Dec 29, 2012
    Newbie Builder fdisking for Win7 RC Computer Help Aug 31, 2009
    Newbie Builder Problem Computer Help Dec 9, 2004

3. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

When you put it in the case do you have the same exact things plugged in? Are you hooking up the front panel connections?

The case is just a box. Inspect it and make sure nothing is hitting the MB that shouldn't.

Start by putting in the box with the bare minimum hooked up.

Add extra parts and extra connections one at a time till you find the problem.

4. JoongJok

JoongJok Member

I've put it at the bare minimum hooked up without the case on a cardboard box and it works. But when I do the same hook up in the case, it will make the buzzing sound.

5. jolancer

jolancer Senior member

justa guess but.. maybe the PSU, coolmax? not gana spend the time looking it up but its common for newb builders to cheap out on the PSU. PSU is actually one of the most important parts.

remove the PSU from the case just have it sitting next to it on the cardboard, but plug it in to the Motherboard and whatever and try again.

6. mlc

mlc Senior member

If it's posting ok outside of case.. and nothing, absolutely nothing, is changing, then there is a short between the board and the case...

You either missed a standoff, or there is one not aligned properly, or something else on the board is coming in contact with the case...

7. JoongJok

JoongJok Member

Question, on my Corsair 500r case, are the 3 top ones also standoffs? They have an odd shape and feel like the same material as the hard frame. Could this be the cause of the short circuit?

http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2011/october/550x-corsair-500r-3.jpg

8. JoongJok

JoongJok Member

What if I build the bare minimum on a cardboard but leave the PSU in the case and it still works, is it still the PSU? I'll try doing it having the PSU outside the case later just to try again.

9. JoongJok

JoongJok Member

UPDATE: I assembled the minimum outside the case and it won't power completely, it only gives enough for the fans to just jitter.

10. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

Bad psu.99.5% sure:eek:

11. oynaz

oynaz Platinum Member

I disagree.

Off the top of my head:

75% bad assembly. Try reseating RAM and make sure you did not make a mistake installing the PSU

20% Bad mobo

4% Bad PSU

0,5% Bad CPU

0,5% Bad RAM

12. JoongJok

JoongJok Member

UPDATE: I bought a new PSU by Corsair and it works fine minimally wired outside the case. Now putting it in together, when I push the power button, all the fans make 1 jittery tick once i press it.

13. JoongJok

JoongJok Member

UPDATE: since it won't power on inside the case, I tried connecting it outside again and now the fans flicker like the first time...

14. JoongJok

JoongJok Member

UPDATE: I switched out the PSU again and it works outside the case. I'm not putting it inside yet before I know what's going on now.

15. mlc

mlc Senior member

are you sure the heatsink is firmly mounted to the processor? If not, you could be shutting down due to thermal overload...

If that's not it.. then remove all of the unnecessary stuff again.. and try reseating the RAM and Graphics card... and switch the RAM to a different slot that's supported for using 1 stick...

Also.. are you sure you have all of the power connectors into your motherboard? including the atx 12v 8 pin connector?

if none of that work.. try disconnecting the case switch from the board, and start it by shorting our the pins where the case switch would normally connect...

good luck.. let us know how you make out
    Mike

16. RadiclDreamer

RadiclDreamer Diamond Member

I agree, if a power supply whines, its usually not very happy

17. bononos

bononos Diamond Member

I think they are from the looks of it. Do the tops of the odd shapes have screw holes? They should if they are built in standoffs.

Your problem sounds like something isn't connected properly since it does work ok on a box, sometimes at least, check to see very carefully if the atx12v is the right connector in the correct position (I had a very similar problem because I slotted it in the wrong way around). Also check the casing jumper wire to the power switch isn't connected to the reset slot or something like that.

18. JoongJok

JoongJok Member

Okay, I kept the CoolMax because I had to reset the BIOS and it worked again. Whenever I use the new CORSAIR PSU it wouldn't boot and suddenly CoolMax works good. As for the cable management, I literally just threw in everything and plugged them all for it to just work. Everything works now except my case fans and fan leds. I'm afraid of any overheat.

19. Smoove910

Smoove910 Golden Member

<--- wondering if the actual power switch on the case might have an intermittent connection problem... something surely doesn't sound right

20. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

You may want to do a more consistent BIOS reset when going inside or outside the case.

I would recommend you return the Coolmax. Those things are hot, inefficient (even if it says it's not) and could easily take other components with it when it finally does go out.

How are you starting the computer outside the case? You may want to do the same when it is inside the case.

Good luck!

21. JoongJok

JoongJok Member

Everything works fine inside or out now but the Corsair PSU still has trouble powering everything. It does seem strange that CoolMax has worked while Corsair doesn't.