Can a new DSL modem improve my ping?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Run a race to see were the slow down occurs.

If it occurs outside your Network and Modem there is nothing in the world that ypou can do about it.

The following Screen shot is taken by using the List feature of 3DTrace ( http://www.d3tr.de/index.html ).

Download the free program and Run it (No need to install)

Choose from the menu the As List option and you get something like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/trace.jpg

The table shows the result of multi ping from my computer through a Buffalo Router to Internet site 96.6.68.195*

The important columns in the table (for this discussion) are the two in the middle. I.e. Min. ms and Max ms.

The numbers there show a typical outcome. As the trace progress on the Internet the variation changes dramatically.

So while the variation on my Router is 1ms, and the connection to the direct ISP's server is 2ms, the variation later on is almost 20ms.

Friendo

Banned
Nov 24, 2009
my Hop 1, 2, 3 shows 6ms average, and 0~1 variable, also I changed my Windows MTU from 1480 to 1492, what's a good MTU# for low dsl pings?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
DSL MTU should be 1492.

MTU, unless totally of the wall, should not affect pings, it is a different variable.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Unless the modem is defective don't think it will affect anything. You seem to have a newer version of the speedstream. We're still handing out 4200's where I work... That's what most people have. Think there's actually still customers on the newbridge using mainstreet xpress modems, those are huge compared to the speedstreams.

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
I highly doubt that the modem would play a huge role in ping differences. If it's leased from your provider and thus easy to swap out at little or no cost, it's worth a shot. But I wouldn't run out and invest in a new one; chances are that you'll have exactly the same ping after installing it.

Good luck!

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
It does affect pings, I just changed it back to 1480, theres no more jitter in pingtest.net

Friendo, let's review.

How many hops are between you and "pingtest.net"? How many OTHER variables could be affecting jitter between you and "pingtest.net"? Why on earth would you directly contradict a networking guy who tells you to use 1492 on the basis of one non-statistical test to a website numerous hops away from you?

<facepalm>

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Friendo, let's review.

How many hops are between you and "pingtest.net"? How many OTHER variables could be affecting jitter between you and "pingtest.net"? Why on earth would you directly contradict a networking guy who tells you to use 1492 on the basis of one non-statistical test to a website numerous hops away from you?

<facepalm>

Edit: That's funny because my roommate is the exact same way. Whenever we run into a networking problem, he will grab me (network engineer) and ask me what the problem is. I will point out the exact issue with detail, then he will run off and start resetting the modem and router, etc.

Every time this happens I stand there like "are you serious"?

I just don't help anymore.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Most General computer hardware enthusiast has their knowledge from analogs to Plumbing and Cars cause thye have No clue about EE.

They are familiar with tweaking to death the setting of their Mobo BIOS and Video card, and they think that if you put a 1000Watt PSU into a computer that need only 400Watt the computer would work faster.

Unfortunately Networking is another world and these practices do not fit in.:rolleyes:

Like a guy from another thread that have regular Network and is trying to improve his gaming by ""OVerClocking"" the NIC settings.:eek:

"I'm on Vista 64, with a 920 i7 and i'm using the onboard NIC that offers UDP Checksum Offload ipv4 & 6. I've turned off all the the offloading for both TCP and UDP, enabled Priority & Vlan to just Priority".

We are "stupid" we do not know that there are setting in the NIC Drivers and we do not try to "Overclock" them.:sneaky: - :hmm:

Friendo

Banned
Nov 24, 2009
Friendo, let's review.

<facepalm>

You can say what ever you want it doesn't change the fact that my ping went from 225 to 210 in some servers after the 1480 mtu change.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You can say what ever you want it doesn't change the fact that my ping went from 225 to 210 in some servers after the 1480 mtu change.

Keep trying every now and then, it will probably fluctuate a lot. Ping does not always just stay the same. There are lot of variables with the internet.