Can a dumbass like me do my own taxes?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ChefJoe
Originally posted by: Jeff7
In Pennsylvania, you can file your taxes right at the state's own website. (Why the IRS hasn't done something similar is a mystery to me. Maybe they don't want to put tax software companies out of business, out of fear of [more] death threats?)

IRS was going to roll their own software and then the current software makers cut a deal with the IRS to avoid having their businesses shut down.
I had a feeling it was something like that. It's the one downside of capitalism - when profitability stands in the way of progress. Got to take the good with the bad, though.:)

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
I've heard that the IRS could do 1/2 of the populations taxes for them. And for another 25% they could do most of it for them. But the tax preparation industry has successfully lobbied against it. Think about how much money the IRS would save by not having to process all of those paper returns.

I also heard here in California the state tried a pilot program a couple of years ago where they "filled in" the information for your state return if it was available. But again the tax preparation industry lobbied hard to make sure it didn't become permanent.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
you can do your taxes by hand faster than you can sign up for one of the free online tax services.

This is true in the OP's situation.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've always done my own taxes. Couldn't believe how much easier it is to do with TT, though and once I started using it I didn't stop. Never did 1040 before using software, and can't imagine what a pain it would be to do it by hand. If I had really complicated taxes and enough money I'd hire a pro, but right now I have no problem doing it myself.

I saw an ad on TV about TT Federal being free, and figured it wasn't for real, so I bought TT Deluxe at Costco (with $15 off coupon). I went online today to TT.com and it said 1040EZ is a free download, and includes free federal e-filing. So, if you only need 1040EZ that would be a good way to go. I haven't done EZ for several years.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Dunbar
I've heard that the IRS could do 1/2 of the populations taxes for them. And for another 25% they could do most of it for them. But the tax preparation industry has successfully lobbied against it. Think about how much money the IRS would save by not having to process all of those paper returns.

I also heard here in California the state tried a pilot program a couple of years ago where they "filled in" the information for your state return if it was available. But again the tax preparation industry lobbied hard to make sure it didn't become permanent.

If you wait long enough, they will do it for you :)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
It's easy if you're single and have no investments. I'm married with several investments and deductions, and Turbo Tax NEVER catches everything for me. I pay an accountant $129 and he usually saves me about $4000/year. My tax papers each year looks like a freakin' dictionary :(

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
you're still going to have to pay something though right? you either pay for the software and/or the actual filing part.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
you're still going to have to pay something though right? you either pay for the software and/or the actual filing part.

If you fill out the forms by hand you have to pay postage, that' all.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ironwing

Ah, so it must be the e-filing that i'm thinking about?

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I use H&R block's software. I have no complicated debt\asset, multi-state issues. All I do is work ONE job, live in the same city as that job, have standard withdrawals from income, etc. so it's as simple as things get, even considering I'm deducting student loan interest.

If you expect to get a large sum back, get an accountant. If you owe, or think you're screwed, get an accountant.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Ah, so it must be the e-filing that i'm thinking about?

Yeah, that's why I still don't e-file. Either you have to pay a third party vendor for the privilege or you have to give all your financial info to a third party website. If the IRS and states were serious about e-filing they would provide the service themselves instead of turning it into a for-profit scheme to benefit private businesses.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Who did you give all your financial info to and what did they do with it?

H & R block and i'm poor and am planning on always being such thus it really doesn't matter.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001

Oh no, now they know how much money you make! Just like your bank, your CC company, your mortgage lender or landlord, your auto lender etc. I wonder what all of those institutions do with your financial info...

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
I just did mine using turbo tax. I have been using them since 03... it took me about 2 hours while watching TV.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Dunbar

Oh no, now they know how much money you make! Just like your bank, your CC company, your mortgage lender or landlord, your auto lender etc. I wonder what all of those institutions do with your financial info...

And your SS number, and your address, your telephone number. All to save you from a 41 cent stamp.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: ironwingAnd your SS number, and your address, your telephone number. All to save you from a 41 cent stamp.

Yeah, uh, H & R Block has all that information from the first year I paid them to file for me (I was young and crazy; I didn't know better!) so I'm not real worried about them getting it every year thereafter.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Does this relate to why you need both a contract cell and pay as you go one?

No. Even though I am poor I do have a good credit history and have never missed a payment on anything.

The prepaid is for buying weed. The prepaid sim on my main line is for giving out to people that I may want to contact in the future but I don't want to have my main number. The main number is really for family, business and emergencies.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
IF i can do it by myself then anyone here can.

its very easy and useing software to electronicly file makes it fast and easy.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: sonambulo
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Does this relate to why you need both a contract cell and pay as you go one?

No. Even though I am poor I do have a good credit history and have never missed a payment on anything.

The prepaid is for buying weed. The prepaid sim on my main line is for giving out to people that I may want to contact in the future but I don't want to have my main number. The main number is really for family, business and emergencies.

maybe that's why you're poor