Can a computer monitor be transformed or modified into a video-only monitor that would connect to a regular VCR/DVD?

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Like the title says.

I have this old monitor in my storage. If I can adapt it into a video-only monitor, to which I can connect a regular VCR or DVD player, I can put it in a guest room or children's room (the audio would be dealt with separately), that wuld spare the need to get another TV.

Is this feasible?

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Isn't there some hack I can perform myself, without having to resort to third-party sources?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
Isn't there some hack I can perform myself, without having to resort to third-party sources?

No.

You need some sort of scan converter. There are simpler ones that are much cheaper than the one I linked to, but they don't have all the capability (component in, etc.).

Viper GTS

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
My brother got one that cost around $99. I can't remember the brand, but it has s-video in and a tv-tuner. Watching television on it, while it doesn't suck, it's not great, but DVDs look good.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
I think the cheapest converters to do this will set you back $80-100.

There's no easy hack.

On top of that, in all honesty, it'd look stupid.

You'd be better off listing the monitor FS or offering to trade it for a 13"-15" tv. You can pick up some 13-19" cheapo TVs for DIRT cheap if you watch for holiday sales etc and they should be fine for your needs...