Can a company do this?

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
My dad has a cell contract with a company. He had a special deal where he paid £2.50 a month and he'd get 100minutes. That company was taken over by another one (Vodaphone). He continues to pay his usual price of £2.50 a month then this month he was charged £12.50.

The company did not tell him in writing that they were going to charge him a different amount.

Can they do this without prior written notice?

Thanks.

Koing

Usually in the contract you signed initially it states that the pricing can change without notice.

May 10, 2001
no matter if they "can" or not, raise a fuss with the company, keep going up the latter, you will find someone that cares about your patronage.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
tell him to read over his contract. It's not a matter of whether a company can do it or not, it's a matter of whether it was specifically stated that they won't, then signed and agreed upon by both sides. In either case, with that much of a jump I would call them and tell them that you want either the rate taken back down or the fee to break the contract waived so that you can find a new service.

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ness1469
tell him to read over his contract. It's not a matter of whether a company can do it or not, it's a matter of whether it was specifically stated that they won't, then signed and agreed upon by both sides. In either case, with that much of a jump I would call them and tell them that you want either the rate taken back down or the fee to break the contract waived so that you can find a new service.

Ok.

Yeah currently calling them asap. They were busy all day today.

Got the letter written up. Going to speak to them asap.

Thanks for all the advice.

Koing

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
What country are you in? I didn't think Voda was in the USA if you are in the USA.

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
England ReelC00L

They took over Cellular Operations. THEY had a MUCH better online system then Vodaphone. Vodaphone DON'T have online how many minutes you have FREE for that month?! That is REALLY ghetto imo. They can show me my online bill and minutes, durations, times of calls etc BUT NOT how many minutes I have left?

They said I could use my mobile for it. Well yeah I can but that is besides the point. Cellular Operations had it and everything else. I personally think it is a *scam* to not let people know so they over spend...

But oh well all of my mates are on Vodaphone and it doesn't make sense for me to change networks.

Koing

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Koing
England ReelC00L

I guess I'd just warn you to take most of the replies with a grain of salt here then because most of what people will tell you is either the ideal world or USA law. I will abstain from advising since I know I am out of my element with your country.

eLiTeGoodGuy

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
Usually most companies reserve the right to change the price of your plan at any time. But alot of them will let you cancel your contract withing 30 days or so of them having to change the price. I know the company I work for has not made people change their older plans but if something should happen where we HAVE to change their plan we would send out a notice and tell them it will be done automatically next month and if they want they can cancel without penalty