Can’t for the life of me get into my Windows Vista computer?

Megan Perryman

Mar 24, 2018
So, here’s the deal. When I was nine I received a Dell Inspiron 1545, and it worked wonderfully. Now I’m eighteen and I want to get into it again because I need a VM. So today I tried to get back into it and I don’t know the password at all. I can’t access anything through it and I’ve tried out every tutorial on the internet that covers it. I also just finished CS50 with Harvard to get my technology certification, and if I can’t figure it out, I feel like nobody can. I’m frustrated, hopeless, and ready to rip my head off.
Here’s a YouTube video that I made for further detail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwTLYymc3s

Thank you so much!

(p.s.
I came here because the a$$es at CNET locked my thread because I made my account THAT DAY and then added ONE VIDEO LINK, after stating that I had a real problem, of course. I wish not to be treated this way and to rather have my problem fixed. Thank you!)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Here is the link embed so people will know it's actually a safe Youtube link, which you have to understand is a very common malware attack by brand new users, so that's probably why you got bounced at CNET.

As far as your problem, if you do not know that password, the data should be encrypted and you should not be able to get to it. If you think about your issue, it makes sense if a person doesn't know that password, they shouldn't be able to access it. Otherwise, that security feature would be pretty well worthless. Say if someone stole a laptop that was encrypted and secured by a password, it wouldn't be much use if they could easily bypass that. Just to be clear, I am not accusing you of that, just explaining the feature to you.

Edit: After watching the entire video (camera is very bouncy BTW), I see you do know the password to the encryption software part, it just won't fully boot into Windows because you don't know the password to the Windows login, and can't find a way to bypass that.

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
trying windows repair isn't going to fix this problem.

this is a password issue.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
trying windows repair isn't going to fix this problem.

this is a password issue.

Exactly. She wants someone to tell her how to bypass that, and access the files/user data. In the past we have not done that here (many I bought a laptop, and I don't know the BIOS/encrypted drive password), so I figured we'd just ask Esquared and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Exactly. She wants someone to tell her how to bypass that, and access the files/user data. In the past we have not done that here (many I bought a laptop, and I don't know the BIOS/encrypted drive password), so I figured we'd just ask Esquared and get it straight from the horse's mouth.
the simplest way to get the data off the drive would be to remove the drive and attach it to another computer and see what's there.

I wonder if Dell included a restore function that doesn't format the drive?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
the simplest way to get the data off the drive would be to remove the drive and attach it to another computer and see what's there.

She hasn't used it in 9 years and just wants to make a VM out of it so why not reformat it?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

They have had factory resets on the HDD now (and most likely on this one as well), but I can't remember if the admin password has to be entered or not to execute it. It's been a very long time since I did a factory reset using the manufacturer's recovery partition.

Plus, the battery on this thing must be totally dead because as soon as it's unplugged, it turns off. I'm just impressed the hard drive still works after sitting dormant all those years.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
She hasn't used it in 9 years and just wants to make a VM out of it so why not reformat it?
1. she may have some info on it that she needs.

2. what is she going to do about windows? she likely never received restore disks.

What she needs to do is get whatever data is on it off. Then see about Dell's restore function.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
They have had factory resets on the HDD now (and most likely on this one as well), but I can't remember if the admin password has to be entered or not to execute it. It's been a very long time since I did a factory reset using the manufacturer's recovery partition.

Plus, the battery on this thing must be totally dead because as soon as it's unplugged, it turns off. I'm just impressed the hard drive still works after sitting dormant all those years.
I guess we will have to wait and see if she responds here again.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
1. she may have some info on it that she needs.

2. what is she going to do about windows? she likely never received restore disks.

What she needs to do is get whatever data is on it off. Then see about Dell's restore function.

I figured having the key on the bottom of the laptop is half the battle. Kind of forgot that Microsoft has only been hosting ISOs since Wini10.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
We cannot allow discussion of talk to bypass the computer security that's already in place.

Now if you want to talk, format drive, reinstall windows, that's fine.

But the ways to bypass the admin, is a no-no.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director