Camping: How wrong is it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
The recon class in BF3 tends to attract lower skill players and/or ones that only care about inflating their kill death ratio. Thus, the recon class tends to be on average the most useless class when it comes to winning a round due to the typical player that plays it.

Yeah you can play however you want, but you should realize that you really aren't helping the team nearly as much as a recon player that's more aggressive and actively placing their spawn beacon closer to the objective to support their team.

From what I can see you need to stop camping in the mountains and start helping your team. Honestly, I usually take a humvee and run fellow recon teammates over that camp in the mountain.

Oh, I'm the first to admit, I don't have skillz. I play casually but I generally play for the team to win...I'm just not pyscho competitive nor do I have any experience playing this games. As such, Recon works well for me.

However, if the match is going well, or its close but we're ahead, generally I'll try and push the boundaries, get behind enemy lines undetected, setup a spawn beacon in an unlikely place to be found, etc. If there are actual teammates that are up for SOFLAM work, I'll get on the SOFLAM and paint targets (which normally doesn't last long because of the range of the SOFLAM, the uselessness they've made it operate by, and how teammates will not take advantage of it, then it's destroyed). If I'm up there on the mountain I'm also watching over D to make sure it doesn't get taken.

Guys sitting on the mountain with no spawn beacon out, with no SOFLAM out or taking control of the SOFLAM and not letting it pain the TOW missle launcher at E while the enemy heli is over B raping their team, are completely F'ing useless.

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I feel that if you were camping on the point itself, instead of a mile away from the point, then you would be infinitely more useful. Your soflam and spawn beacon would be closer to the battle, lazing tanks and helping squadmates spawn onto your current and surrounding points.

You by yourself would be actually be able to move and actively defend a point from being capped instead of becoming instantly useless (if on the mountain) if an enemy simply stands behind a building or a rock while capping the point.

Having one extra point capped throughout the round (or even having it contested) will do worlds more for the team than you sniping one person every five minutes as they spawn.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
As long as you are not in an exploit spot (like an off map spot or something like the head glitch in BF3) then it's cool....

....but plan on me coming back and taking your tags.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I feel that if you were camping on the point itself, instead of a mile away from the point, then you would be infinitely more useful. Your soflam and spawn beacon would be closer to the battle, lazing tanks and helping squadmates spawn onto your current and surrounding points.

You by yourself would be actually be able to move and actively defend a point from being capped instead of becoming instantly useless (if on the mountain) if an enemy simply stands behind a building or a rock while capping the point.

Having one extra point capped throughout the round (or even having it contested) will do worlds more for the team than you sniping one person every five minutes as they spawn.

No, not camping on the point itself, I'm like, 300m away I'd guess, something like that. Pretty easy on Hardcore with the M98B. My radio beacon is generally...not where I am, at least not on that map. That way my squad can spawn not only on me, but, in another location as well. SOFLAM generally is not on me either. I like to put it out where it is covered from normal enemy view but still effective (well, as effective as it can be given sometimes how little some teams will use it). Then generally lets me protect D, snipe into E, C, B, and A if needed. Unfortunately, and the purpose of this thread, it also gets me looking right at the A spawn point when the opposing team takes it.

As long as you are not in an exploit spot (like an off map spot or something like the head glitch in BF3) then it's cool....

....but plan on me coming back and taking your tags.

Happens a lot to me, something I'm not good at. I don't move around much, which is to my detriment. I get knifed...a lot... :D

Chuck

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'll add that I don't find spawn camping to be that big of a deal if your team is already winning.

I don't find spawn camping (in BF3) that big of a deal anyway. There's a glitch in Firestorm where you can shoot through the top of the mountain overlooking the American spawn, but anything shot back just hits the mountain. Some little shit parked a heli behind that magic spot and was killing people left and right. Lot of frustration, but the solution was simple enough. I spawned into an F-18, circled around and strafed his ass.

A bigger pain IMO is the algorithm BF3 uses for point spawning. I'll spawn at a point that's in the process of being taken, and about 1/4 the time I'll spawn 5 feet in front of an enemy and die before I take a single step.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Happens a lot to me, something I'm not good at. I don't move around much, which is to my detriment. I get knifed...a lot... :D

Chuck
Drop a TUGS and listen for the tell tell beep that a backstabbing punk is in your AO. I prefer playing Recon in a semi-vulnerable position where people can try to get at me from behind, it adds to the excitement and gives my G18 a workout when I hear that beep beep. :biggrin:

lif_andi

Apr 15, 2013
I've played more than most, and I don't have a problem with campers... usually they are easy to kill, specially if you have a mate or 2 for backup... prime knife targets.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
the majority of the time campers (true campers) aren't doing anything to help their team win so they really don't play into it at all. yes many of them are recon and go up on a crane or tower or mountain and have some crap KD and basically zero points.

my only issue with them is that i always get stuck with them on my side and because of that we are basically playing at a personal disadvantage

Mar 10, 2005
camping is ok, spawn camping is totally dbag. however, if it's still in a game in 2013 then that's the game dev's failure (or is it a "feature"?).

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Its a war game, right? Is there some unwritten moral code we are supposed to abide by while killing the enemy? I certainly didn't read it. If it works, do it I say. Spawn camp them if all flags are taken and if its not against server rules. This slows them down from taking those flags back. Why the hell wouldn't someone do this? Oh wait, EVERYONE does when all flags are taken.

Hint: Moonbogg'll camp ya.

Second Hint: Campers are easy to kill if you don't suck.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
First let me say that I only play BF3, and at that, not a ton (or at least, not as much as I'd like to). Generally I play Recon but I've run through the other classes and I'm working on Assault right now. Generally I play Recon though. I play not for my own score or stats, but, to help the team win the round.

So my question is, how wrong is camping? And let me give an example:

On Firestorm, if you're up on the US mountain, you have a pretty easy view into the spawn location at the containers that are at A. So if you're playing as US, and the RU has A, and you're playing Recon with a sniper rifle, it is exceedingly easy to sight in on that spawn location and deliver death. It's camping, no question about it.

But how wrong is that? If I let them spawn they'll be more dug into A, and/or, will be able to easily take B and D (especially D, it's right across the road basically). So if I'm playing for my team to win, why would I allow them to spawn and then take objectives that hinders my team from winning?

Just curious to hear what others have to say on this...I'm torn on not trying to be a camper and wanting my team to win.

Chuck

You are of very little use to the team doing that. How many flags do you capture, how many people do you revive, do you take down vehicles, how many kills and deaths do you get in an average round?

As for the reason people don't like it.
All you are is an annoyance to the other team, and someone who isn't helping your own team win. That along with taking very little skill.

Edit: I love campers when they are on the other team, I don't even have to look to see where they will be. There are always campers in the same spot's it's easy kills. There are lots of places I don't even walk around to see if someone is there I just bounce a nade into a normal camping spot and it's easy kill.

Edit: I hate campers when they are on my team.

Last edited:

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
You are of very little use to the team doing that. How many flags do you capture, how many people do you revive, do you take down vehicles, how many kills and deaths do you get in an average round?

As for the reason people don't like it.
All you are is an annoyance to the other team, and someone who isn't helping your own team win. That along with taking very little skill.

On the flip side, if he's actively using MAV to spot the team (particularly elements pushing objectives), he will be worth his weight in gold. There's no commander radar scan, so having a (well played) mav spotter is priceless.

That being said, having 6 snipers set up on the mountain in Firestorm is a huge waste of resources.

RE: Spawn camping. If it's allowed per server rules, do it. Particularly denial of enemy team assets. It's a huge advantage to your team. If it's particularly against server rules, then obvi dbag move.

RE: Camping (in general). There's a "good camper" and a "bad camper". Good campers will hold multiple LOS, either covering objectives or lanes of approach, while minimizing enemy routes to them. This is extremely dangerous to the enemy team, and is likewise a great asset to their team. They will also shift position to avoid the killcam seekers, and adjust as the situation demands it (why are you covering B when we've moved onto C?). A bad camper never moves, and as such is garbage. Just approach from an alt direction and knife them. Over and over again. Or use their non-moving nature against them, you will ALWAYS have the drop as long as you play smart.

BF3 players always amuse me, if they're not whining about "OP Weapons" (hint kids, M16 isn't what you should be bitching about), it's about "X Playstyle = NOOB!!!", anything to get out of responsibility as to their bad play. It's a game, either get better and adapt to the situation, or resign yourself to a poor k/d because you ARE bad.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
my first heavy multiplayer FPS was Unreal Tournament so I think camping is an idiotic, unskiled play style that does not work in arena FPS

the closest thing to camping in arena FPS that worked was not camping and more map presence / control by staying within a certain portion of the map

people can play whatever they want though since camping & sitting in a corner hoping to shoot and kill someone that doesn't see you works to an extent in modern FPS games

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
Static Ground Defense
13712 Kills
299 Death
45.86 K/D Ratio
1437 Destroyed
1846 Roadkills
365:04:19 Time
http://2142-stats.com/Ric0572+stats.html
Suez Canal (Conquest)

I guess this might be camping too
but the other side always went around that base I camped in even when they had the flag.
[my first mp game ever]

Last edited:

AdamantC

Apr 19, 2011
People who complain about camping in shooters that aren't arena based (i.e Quake, Unreal Tournament) are idiots. They also tend to be the insipid halfwits who keep running into the same choke point with a MG or two at the other end. They also seem to have absolutely no concept of things like "bouncing a grenade around a corner" or a magical thing called "taking another route to flank campers".

Spawn camping however is a big no no.