Calling Wireless GURUs!!!! EAP2 using AES encrytion on PDA's

Aug 27, 2002
I love my boss...........
He wants me to find PDA's for us (IT&S) but they must use EAP2 and AES certificates.

Does anyone know of any PDA's that support this? The best I've found are Windows Mobile 2003 using Sockets Wi-fi Companion running 802.1x/EAP-TLS certificates.

I'm not up to date yet on Enterprise Wireless Solution, and I'm certainly not up to date on PDA technology. (appearantly I'd better read up, as he's hinting I may end up administering this in the relativly near future)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Good luck.

Generally we call these "doesn't conform to the wireless security standard, so no talkie for you"

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
btw, the "latest ACS solution where the AP's don't use IP address" is...well, inaccurate. Without an IP address, you lose alot, like WLSE, Radio montoring, NAC (which is really on the latest ACS, not sure if they are selling it yet). I would be interested in why you would deploy them without IP's.

Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by: nweaver
btw, the "latest ACS solution where the AP's don't use IP address" is...well, inaccurate. Without an IP address, you lose alot, like WLSE, Radio montoring, NAC (which is really on the latest ACS, not sure if they are selling it yet). I would be interested in why you would deploy them without IP's.
ACS that we are using.
WLC that we are using.
And we also have the latest version of Cisco WLS running on a server.

We get all that you mentioned without using IP addresses, the AP's they are set up by mac addresses for enhanced security using the lightweight AP's. I still haven't been trained even partially yet, I'm not the network engineer, just his backup. I mostly deal with our Active Directory infrastructure and general data security (AV, folder security, etc.).

We were one of the few who got to be one of the final beta sites for Cisco through Amhurst for thier newest enterprise wifi solution. (there still isn't documentation from Cisco for a lot of the equipments functionality yet) I think that Cisco has just started selling this solution through normal channel partners a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, to the PDA problem, we figured out that we should just make another VLAN for the PDA's and tighten up the ACL's on that VLAN (PDA's won't need near as much network access as the laptops and wifi enabled GE hospital equipment).

I'd still be interested in finding more secure PDA wifi clients.