Calling users "asshole", at least without strong cause, should not be allowed [Original title modified, to prevent misunderstanding]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
My point: The thread topic of this thread should not be allowed. At least not without some pretty drastic justification, if at all.

Yet, the forum has allowed just that. An OT post, saying 'you are an asshole' to be posted, in a quote agreeing with the statement, that was reported, yet nothing was done.

The forum is better when it has some minimum civility - as per the change to the P&N forum against such behavior that has been at the top of the forum for months, "The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. "

When people can discuss things that are sometimes sharing personal info, without a hateful, insulting environment. It doesn't mean no criticism, but the criticism should be based on some standards.

'You are an asshole' without that justification, at least, does not meet that standard. To a moderator's credit, that was recognized when the original post was deleted after being reported.

But, then, a (presumably different) moderator quoted the deleted post with their comment of "Quoted for truth!". That was reported, days ago, with no action to the post or response. Ask yourself how you feel when you see this thread's topic. Now, how would you like to see it aimed at you personally, in response to your post. Perhaps over and over. Not seeming like a positive thing? Because it's not. So, don't allow the behavior by other posters. Is this behavior allowed by moderators only?

Could that phrase ever be justified? That's a matter of debate. If someone posted some despicable behavior - egregious piracy, stealing, knowingly going around with covid trying to infect people, any number of such things - perhaps. But not simply 'I felt like saying it because I don't like that you are reporting a bad customer service experience'.

If those are going to be the standards, then it degrades this forum, and makes a lot of the usefulness for discussing issues in a better environment not so possible. I'd post less, missing a previously good, favorite forum, and presumably others might as well, in a cesspool instead of a decent forum. And that choice might just justify the thread title. And it would be just fine, right? Obviously, the thread title is not one I'd normally post. But the actions so far make it appropriate for this purpose.

Whatever the response, this thread can be deleted. The post referenced here is #115 in this thread: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/more-bad-amazon-stuff.2585980/page-5#post-40315104

Reactions: ksosx86

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I mean you are acting like an arsehole there.
Also you should probably have made this post in the moderator discussions forum which is private.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If you don't like a post there's a specific link to report a post. You're not supposed to make an entire thread about it in a public forum. Particularly when you are bitching about moderators.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Craig, imho, you often post in a way that leads people to experience you as AN ASSHOLE.

I believe you don't mean to be, necessarily, but you sure often post like one.

However, nowhere, not in convos, not in Moderator Discussions, and most certainly not HERE in open forum do YOU get to call US an asshole. If you don't understand the difference, I probably can't help you further.

Anyway, please look at Geekbabe's title, and then look up the definition of "emeritus." Geekbabe has not been a moderator here for years and years. And, let me tell you something else . . . she was and is one of the most civil posters we had.

So, when she agrees with another poster that YOU were an ASSHOLE for endlessly berating some hapless CSR, it is because YOU WERE AN ASSHOLE.

There is a long list of posters and moderators who are of the opinion that YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE.

Btw, posters are well allowed to call another poster being an asshole an asshole in OT.

You need time off to better think about your general approach here. I will give you time to read this first, and, make no mistake, if you double down on being the ASSHOLE you were in your OP here, it will only add to your sanction.

So . . . don't . . . please.

Reactions: DooKey

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
Wow, you all are awful ... gracious here. Guess I'd rather have that than the place I just left after 10 years but damn I mean that's one hairy thread title pal' :(

EDIT: I get it now - misunderstood the context sorry

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig234

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
For the record, your original title, which I first responded to:

1602944091496.png

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Craig, this is your fifth instance of a moderator call out/failure to follow mod instructions. As you do in numerous instances with other posters, your reflexively combative instincts blind you to any proper reaction, and you go overboard in a way that is completely unacceptable.

Why you thought, even as a rhetorical gambit, to eschew the sole proper channel for addressing a mod concern, which is the private Moderator Discussions, and launch a thread available to all entitled "Moderator, you are an asshole" is beyond us, but unacceptable it is.

You have been a near constant point of discussion in the mod corps for your behavior. It is more trouble than we are willing to put up with. I don't believe you are a conscious troll, but your apparent inability to interact with others, and when you don't get your way, with US, cannot long continue.

You will shortly receive a convo with your sanction. Please let it better inform your behavior going forward.
This thread will now mercifully be locked.

Reactions: DooKey
Status
Not open for further replies.