Calling MST3K fans

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Mystery Science Theater has been off the air for some years now, but I just got introduced to Mike Nelson's new project, called RiffTrax. It stars him along with the voices of Tom Servo, Crow, and others who dub over many new movies.

I just watched Aeon Flux with a RiffTrax MP3 and it was hilarious. References include Bittorent and Nintendo Wii amongst others. It's great how they keep the same edge yet include modern day references that you would never get in MST3K.

Go to http://www.rifftrax.com/ to see what it's all about, and to download MP3's that can sync up with your movies. You may also be able to find MP3's available elsewhere.

Star Trek V sample RiffTrax

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
I do miss MST3K....

This just doesn't seem to be as good. I guess because these movies are actually good and not complete trash....

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
That could be fun, but it will never be the same. Like Nirvana, it's better left not revisited.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
They really need the silhouettes of Mike and the robots at the lower right, since the interaction with what was on the screen was often funny, too. Still, I'll check it out.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
So, it's an MP3 file you download, and then sync it up with the movie yourself? Interesting way of doing the big movies without them having to pay for the rights.

I guess if you've ripped your movie collection to HDD, then splicing the new sound over, or maybe even adding it as a selectable track, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Oh how I wish MST3K would be available in full season DVD packs, while at the same time NOT cost as much as a season of Star Trek DVD's. Futurama's $40 price range is a lot more attractive. :)

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7
So, it's an MP3 file you download, and then sync it up with the movie yourself? Interesting way of doing the big movies without them having to pay for the rights.

Yep, in the file they tell you when to press play on the movie and play on the soundtrack. Every 20 minutes or so a robot voice will come in and say a line of dialogue in the movie so that you can tell if you are synced or not.

Originally posted by: KarmaPolice
Ah MST3k how i miss thee....

Funny but not even close to the same

It's definitely close to the same. You get the same humor with the same voices doing the riffs. You don't get the silhouettes or skits, but for what it is, it's great.

To all the doubters, just download a track of a movie you have (or can rent) and check it out. True, it wasn't the *same*, but it was still hilarious.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
I liked the 5th elements and the X-Men was okay. Troll 2, Matrix, Predator, Aeon Flux, and Daredevil maybe got one or two chuckles, each.

If you search youtube for "rifftrax" you can find short samples of each movie track available for sale on their website. The next one coming out is "300", so apparently they somehow scored a copy before the official DVD release date, which is still a month (I think) away.

Yep, in the file they tell you when to press play on the movie and play on the soundtrack. Every 20 minutes or so a robot voice will come in and say a line of dialogue in the movie so that you can tell if you are synced or not.
Only reason that's useful (doing it after the movie's started) is in case you need to stop/pause the movie for some reason, and want to make sure the MP3 and movie are in sync late.r Otherwise, some versions of the movie aren't the same as the recording they used (ex: if the person watching is using an extended edition, director's cut, or a european release that has a slightly different cut).

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
Good idea but I miss the old MSTK3K's (anyone see the MSTK3K poster in his room in the opening scenes of 40 Year old Virigin?)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I just went through the youtube samples, and the Eragon and LOTR ones were funny, the rest were meh.