Calling all HVAC gurus...

gabemcg

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
I live in a 4 bedroom apt ~1800'sq.

Is it more cost effective to leave a window A/C unit on the lowest cooling setting at night when it's not hot outside, or to turn it off and open windows? I was always told that it's better to keep the cool air in the house, and the compressor from having to work too hard and re-cool the house when you turn it back on

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
The best thing to do is just turn on the fan and pull in cool air from outside. If the air is cool enough it can work a whole lot better than the AC going even.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
If the air outside is cooler than the air inside, use a couple of big box fans to cool the house down. Seal it up in the morning and turn on that air conditioner when you leave.

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
I'd leave the a/c running at night if you live in an area with high humidity, otherwise, windows open if you're wanting to save some cash.

Me personally, I like it freezing, so I'd leave both running and pile on the blankets :)

gabemcg

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: jmebonner
I'd leave the a/c running at night if you live in an area with high humidity, otherwise, windows open if you're wanting to save some cash.

Me personally, I like it freezing, so I'd leave both running and pile on the blankets :)

me too :) so much for sustainablility... It's a good thing we're splitting the bill 4 ways!

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
It just got to the point where the outside=inside here, about 74. I turned off the AC units and started the exchange.:) Humidity is only 44% though.