Calling all chemists

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Would Triclosan react with Chrlorine? I was thinking about getting some for my swimming pool. Would it be safe?

CrazyPerson

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2003
The EPA registers it as a pesticide, giving it high scores as a risk to both human health and the environment.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by: CrazyPerson
The EPA registers it as a pesticide, giving it high scores as a risk to both human health and the environment.

Then why is it in both my toothpaste and my handsoap?

CrazyPerson

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2003
cause it kill germs... read the back of toothpaste and handsoap carefully... it says something like.. dont not swallow... if swallow... see a doctor immediately.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Do NOT mix ANYTHING with oxidisers (predominately Cl and Br) or explosion, fire, or release of extremely dangerous by products may be the result. A properly sanitised water column will measure 665+ millivolts oxidation-reduction potential. (ORP) Anything less can result in the growth of unwanted microbes.

Cheers!

pnho

Dec 7, 2000
don't they have standard chemicals out there for it? why start using something new for the swimming pool?

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by: pnho
don't they have standard chemicals out there for it? why start using something new for the swimming pool?

I guess you're not the entrepreneur type.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd
Originally posted by: pnho

I guess you're not the entrepreneur type.
ah, yes. how entrepreneurial of you to put triclosan in your swimming pool.
rolleye.gif

=|

TonyG

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2000
I have leary to use different normal pool chemicals at the same time, much less start experimenting. My cousin was adding some of the chlorine tablets into his pool that you put into one of the floating baskets, then added another pool chemical, unsure what it was, but he just dumped it straight into the pool. It reacted with the chlorine tablets and they violently reacted with each other, causing the plastick basket to blow up and cut his hand in several places, along with some nasty burns.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I remember a while back when I was younger I saw a demonstration... someone had this chemical in which if urine was detected it would turn blue. Pretty cool. Is this what the chemical you're asking about will do?