calling a spade a spade...Farcry 2 SUCKS!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
You know what they need to fix as well? Guys shooting me while facing the other way.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: RS8
You know what they need to fix as well? Guys shooting me while facing the other way.

I think that the AI shooting RPGs out of their asses has something to do with too spicy of a diet. Maybe they should consider easing back on the heat.

Originally posted by: schizoid77
I don't think it 'SUCKS'. I think maybe you just don't like it.

No, it sucks.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
If you don't want to bother looking for diamonds, learn how to use ArtMoney and give yourself an extra 1000.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Canai

I think that the AI shooting RPGs out of their asses has something to do with too spicy of a diet. Maybe they should consider easing back on the heat.

No, it sucks.

why do so many people like it?

NOBODY liked Daikatana, I never came across a single person who liked the game, that's the definition of "sucks". FC2 isn't your type of game, ok, but it's at the top of my short list of games I like. Apparently more people agree with me than you because it's ratings are averaging quite high.The few annoyances I find with it will either be fixed in a patch, or I will just deal with them. I see myself playing thru it a couple times. I haven't enjoyed a game this much since HL2, well, except maybe Swat 4. I'm already hoping it does well enough to have Ubisoft make an expansion pack. I have a feeling it will.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: QueBert

No, it sucks.

NOBODY liked Daikatana, I never came across a single person who liked the game, that's the definition of "sucks". FC2 isn't your type of game, ok, but it's at the top of my short list of games I like. Apparently more people agree with me than you because it's ratings are averaging quite high.The few annoyances I find with it will either be fixed in a patch, or I will just deal with them. I see myself playing thru it a couple times. I haven't enjoyed a game this much since HL2, well, except maybe Swat 4. I'm already hoping it does well enough to have Ubisoft make an expansion pack. I have a feeling it will.

See, that's what I don't get... I really can't get into FC2 at all because of the mouse acceleration and terrible gameplay elements, but most of the games that people compare it to or, like you said, 'haven't enjoyed a game this much since...' are games I loved. HL2 was a blast, and I still play it (with Cinematic Mod :D), Swat 4 was amazing and is still one of my favorite LAN games, yet to me FC2 is utter crap compared to those games.

Fixing the wallhacking AI in a patch would be a start, but the whole malaria limited sprinting is IMO game breaking, as are all the canyon roads and non-persistent world and bulletproof t-shirts. I know a lot of people are comparing the bulletproof t-shirts to the armored uniforms of the Korean soldiers in Crysis, but I'm one of the people who never had any trouble dropping Koreans on Delta.

FC2 *is* my type of game, but it's done so poorly and has so many bullshit moments that I really don't understand people liking it.

I do really like the sound design though, but that's pretty much it. :(

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

No, it sucks.

See, that's what I don't get... I really can't get into FC2 at all because of the mouse acceleration and terrible gameplay elements, but most of the games that people compare it to or, like you said, 'haven't enjoyed a game this much since...' are games I loved. HL2 was a blast, and I still play it (with Cinematic Mod :D), Swat 4 was amazing and is still one of my favorite LAN games, yet to me FC2 is utter crap compared to those games.

Fixing the wallhacking AI in a patch would be a start, but the whole malaria limited sprinting is IMO game breaking, as are all the canyon roads and non-persistent world and bulletproof t-shirts. I know a lot of people are comparing the bulletproof t-shirts to the armored uniforms of the Korean soldiers in Crysis, but I'm one of the people who never had any trouble dropping Koreans on Delta.

FC2 *is* my type of game, but it's done so poorly and has so many bullshit moments that I really don't understand people liking it.

The Malaria thing is just a cooler version of every other FPS's limited sprinting ability. In any other FPS you'll get tired quick and just stop running. At least here you get a nice effect to go with it :) Hell in Crysis with that super duper advanced suit you had, I could still only run for like 4 seconds before I had to wait for it to regenerate power. Unlimited running in an FPS is bad, and FC2 doesn't seem to be any better or worse than any other shooter when it comes to how far you can run.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006

No, it sucks.

The Malaria thing is just a cooler version of every other FPS's limited sprinting ability. In any other FPS you'll get tired quick and just stop running. At least here you get a nice effect to go with it :) Hell in Crysis with that super duper advanced suit you had, I could still only run for like 4 seconds before I had to wait for it to regenerate power. Unlimited running in an FPS is bad, and FC2 doesn't seem to be any better or worse than any other shooter when it comes to how far you can run.

Yeah the limit in Crysis was only in the speed mode though, you could sprint indefinitely in all the other modes.

I just find it stupid that FC2 boasts a 'massive' 50 square Km map, and then makes it half inaccessible mini mountain-y things and forces you to take a car to the rest.

phexac

Jul 19, 2007
LOL I completely forgot that Ubisoft made Assassin's Creed. That's all I needed to know to have the correct expectations for FC2. Assassin's Creed was clear sign that Ubisoft could think up cool concepts to put into a game, but completely lacked the skills to compile them into an enjoyable game. Assassin's Creed was the same 5 actions repeated over and over and over again. Get to a new area, climb a tall building, beat up some dude for info, sit on a bench near some dudes talking, kill target dude. How can you take such a cool concept and ruin it so badly by making the game into a repetition fest? Based on that, all that can be expected from FC2 is a few cool concepts bundled together into a completely uninspired and flawed game.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
After playing more of it this weekend, I still just can't cal it a great game.
It does have some new elements, but as to whether they add to the gameplay or not is still up in the air.
(I thought my HDTV was bugging with the lighting effects until I read the game forums!)
My biggest gripes are the same as others, mainly the respawning of enemies (which everyone in Africa is apparently.), ther malaria spin, and the feeling that you're doing the same thing over and over again.
I don't really mind the driving, the weapons, the map, etc.
It's still fun, but not for long playing times.
I'm usually stuck to the TV for a while when I get into a new game, but this one has me playing on and off.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: phexac
LOL I completely forgot that Ubisoft made Assassin's Creed. That's all I needed to know to have the correct expectations for FC2. Assassin's Creed was clear sign that Ubisoft could think up cool concepts to put into a game, but completely lacked the skills to compile them into an enjoyable game. Assassin's Creed was the same 5 actions repeated over and over and over again. Get to a new area, climb a tall building, beat up some dude for info, sit on a bench near some dudes talking, kill target dude. How can you take such a cool concept and ruin it so badly by making the game into a repetition fest? Based on that, all that can be expected from FC2 is a few cool concepts bundled together into a completely uninspired and flawed game.

Assassin's creed didn't totally suck. It was a entertaining game that emulates Prince of Persia type of action adventure game.

Ubisoft does make some good titles like Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Tomb Raider,etc.

FC2 is just a bad GTA imitation.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Azn
Originally posted by: phexac

Assassin's creed didn't totally suck. It was a entertaining game that emulates Prince of Persia type of action adventure game.

Ubisoft does make some good titles like Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Tomb Raider,etc.

FC2 is just a bad GTA imitation.

what part of FC2 imitates GTA? I don't remember anything in the last 4 GTA's I've played in FC2, except for the ability to go anywhere. They're not even in the same genre (First person vs Third Person) I'm curious about these similarities you speak of.

*EDIT* I just went and played GTA: SA, I think you're smoking crack there is nothing at all similar about the two, unless you want to consider both having guns and missions and vehicles to be similar. Then I suppose every FPS is a GTA imitation.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I just played a bit and I don't see why you guys hate it so much. The weapons feel fine, the driving is done decently (and small trees/fences don't stop your car), and the AI isn't too bad (they took cover and flanked me).

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Am I the only one that uses boats and buses?

Funny - my city has the worst public transportation and I use it all the time ingame.

-z

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Regarding respawning guys at checkpoints: Are you complaining that they just reappear while you're standing there or that if you come back after some time, they are restaffed? If the latter, think about it; why wouldn't more guys show up? What's the point of having checkpoints in a war-torn thugocracy if you don't staff them? "Hey, someone killed our troops at checkpoint #17. Should we send some more to keep that bridge locked down or should we let it slide?"

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
the re spawning is a bit much, the first time I went in a place where it said if I fire my weapon I will be attacked, I spent a good 6 minutes smoking baddies before I realized I wasn't gonna kill them all because they were respawning faster than I could kill them all :) If in a patch they slow it down a bit, or make it more realistic and have a jeep or something truck them in I'm cool with that.

I dug up my FC 1 dvd and installed it, it's not as good as I remember and the AI has some laughably bad stuff about it.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The respawning is part of the game, I have no complaints about that. I'm actually starting to get "addicted" to the game after 50%.

The game, for me, went from medicore to good overnight. Just have to give it a chance but it's still not one of the better FPS I've seen.

chrismr

Feb 8, 2007
The game isn't terrible and can be pretty fun, but it most certainly does have some questionable design elements.

Like everyone else, I think the respawning should be re-worked to have a minimum time to respawn.

All the narrow canyons can be a bit frustrating. I just find myself wanting to cross over them. I don't mind them forcing vehicles down the canyons, but why oh why can I not cross over the "hills/mountains" on foot? I don't know why, but this frustrates me to no end, and I am always lookign out to see if maybe there is somewhere in all the canyons I can take a short cut by foot.... but no...

There really could have been more bus stops. I have not used them yet because I look at the map and see how far I will still need to drive anyway, even using them.

I don't mind the AI over all, but I don't like that they can see through walls/bushes/trees, that they always know exactly where you are, and a few other niggles like not being able to shoot them during their death animation. I am able to take them down fairly quickly, even with a fairly early weapon.

I like driving/running around when out of the canyons and into the open sections. Sometimes the game is really gorgeous.

Overall, I don't think its terrible. Its just flawed by some really stupid design decisions, and pure laziness on some of the things implemented (such as one mission at a time).

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
One of the things I really like is that you're not the only person on the road. One time I was driving along after stopping to blow up an enemy car behind me (which started a brushfire), only to have another one drive behind me, gunning all the way. Also, the game runs ridiculously smooth and looks good. And it hasn't crashed yet!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
the re spawning is a bit much, the first time I went in a place where it said if I fire my weapon I will be attacked, I spent a good 6 minutes smoking baddies before I realized I wasn't gonna kill them all because they were respawning faster than I could kill them all :) If in a patch they slow it down a bit, or make it more realistic and have a jeep or something truck them in I'm cool with that.

I dug up my FC 1 dvd and installed it, it's not as good as I remember and the AI has some laughably bad stuff about it.

there are some assasination missions where you have to kill people in Pala (the no-fire town). Even if you use a silenced weapon where no one can see you, they still get alerted that you shot your gun or killed someone.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex

there are some assasination missions where you have to kill people in Pala (the no-fire town). Even if you use a silenced weapon where no one can see you, they still get alerted that you shot your gun or killed someone.

I didnt even use a gun on the one I did and they still chased me.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Well I have to admit, it got better for me also. Once you don't have to keep backtracking it really opens up and doesn't seem so forced. Changing to Dx9 also made a HUGE difference, the game is basically playable now. (Vista64, 180.42 8800GTS 512) It's enjoyable in a weird way, probably won't finish it but I'm having fun with it now.