calling a spade a spade...Farcry 2 SUCKS!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Personally I've had a lot of fun with the game. The sandbox nature of games like this doesn't get old for me.

...Except that it does when I have to destroy the same outposts multiple times in a short amount of time. The one big change I'd make would be to up that respawn timer a bit... I really don't get how Ubisoft looked at that and said, 'that's a good thing to have in a game like this,' except to artificially make the game longer.

This has all been said already, but I figure it bears repeating as it's the only really frustrating part of the game IMO. I love the interface, I love the map system, the action is enjoyable, the sound effects are awesome and, given the performance I'm getting, the graphics are great (it takes a game like this to make you realize just how ridiculous Crysis is, though)

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
I think the majority of the above criticisms are pretty valid. Safehouses are totally pointless on a PC game. The respawning can be a little ridiculous at the safehouse. Stupid that you can be seen through walls, and that trying to use the environment as cover is all but impossible.

Even worse is the driving. With the default FOV, it's so cramped and hard to see, especially at night, and the cars catch on fire/stop working WAY too quickly when under fire.

The worst part of all is probably how it takes 5 bullets to somehow penetrate a cotton tank top, or worse, a bare chest. Little things like that serve to completely rip the player out of the world they are trying to believe. If they had only included a prone button, tweaked the AI in terms of ability to detect the player, and made the enemies a little more killable (hell, they could have added even more enemies that way), the game would be 100% better.

As it stands now, it's kind of an overhyped and undercooked heap, ala Oblivion.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
After playing some more, I am starting to get tired of having to drive all the way across the map to do the exact same missions over and over. the enemies are exactly the same.

I still do have some fun while playing though. fun just thinking up different ways to try to kill people. i had an assasination mission to do at the airport. I get there and I don't see anyone around. I notice the map shows the target as being in the main hangar so i start to walk towards and i see that there are open windows near the top. i lob a grenade in and kill the guy, lol. just stuff like that make me keep playing.

Ephemeral

Dec 4, 2004
I've been having fun with the game so far, of course it has some problems, but what game doesn't? The combat can get pretty intense playing on hardcore, and actually planning things out can go a long way, especially on later missions. Most of the weapons I have used so far have been great, even though the balance tends to be a little off. Assault rifles and light machine guns could pack a little more punch, especially considering how powerful the MAC-10 is (even at range). The fire propagation is easily one of the best features of the game. I can't even count the amount of times I have covered a quick retreat with a molotov, or the Gustav which can light a line of brush with its back-blast. The IEDs can add to it by making a good fall-back position into a great one, making for an almost cinematic escape as you sprint into a slide past them and detonate just as the enemy is in range.

Stealth kills are much easier once you obtain the camo upgrade, and it actually makes the machete fairly effective, you just need to retreat back into the brush after a kill. I love hiding and waiting for the perfect moment to strike, only to sink back into cover and do it again to the unfortunate saps that come over to check the body/area. The MP5SD and silenced pistol are still the most effective stealth approach, as long as you make the kill once the target is isolated or his buddies are looking the other way.

The atmosphere/sound is also very well done, if a bit inconsistent. There are times when it is pretty amazing, with a gentle breeze blowing the vegetation around, leaves floating by, the sun shining in through the canopy of trees, and wildlife grazing in the open fields. There are also times where it feels far too empty though, without wandering NPCs, and the wildlife being extremely few and far between, it leaves you wishing more time was spent on populating the world (especially considering how much of it you see by design).

I agree with the spawn points needing work, having them instantly re-staff once you've taken enough steps away from them is just lazy design. I have no problem with checkpoints being covered, but I wish the NPCs were generated at main camps/bases and traveled to them. At least then you would have more random/open encounters, and even be able to head off reinforcements if you wanted to. At the very least they should have a decent time limit on the respawn, so you don't clear one out on the way to some objective, only to come back to a fully staffed position minutes later.

The monocle is just plain bad, I don't know who thought the sensitivity didn't need to be adjusted on the zoom, but if you don't have an adjustable mouse, you may need to bind some keys for sensitivity until they fix it. Also the eyesight adjustment to light/dark areas needs work. It needs to be more subtle, as it can be really difficult to quickly scan the inside of a structure.

Sprinting seems fine to me, I think it may depend on your sickness level. There are times when I can barely sprint five feet without getting dizzy, and times when I can sprint for a good 10-15 seconds. I've noticed when I'm at sickness level 1-2 I don't have nearly as much trouble sprinting, and overall its comparable to most games that limit it in some way. You can always extend it a little by throwing slides in, sprint for a few seconds and slide, rinse repeat etc. I don't expect to be able to cover ten miles full blast with malaria, but that's why there are vehicles all over the place.

Mission variety could have used more attention, objectives as a whole are pretty similar to each other, and the setting just allows for so much more than simple kill/collect missions. If the combat (for me at least) wasn't so much fun, I would probably never make it through the storyline missions.

Some of the design constraints can be irritating...impassable rocks and terrain forcing you down set paths easily being the worst offender. Time/budget constraints aside, I understand that things are done to comply with a smaller resource pool, but its sad to see so much untapped potential these days. In my opinion, multi-platform will never be viable until they stop treating the platforms like they are the same.

Overall a solid game, nothing exceptional, but just about what I expected from it.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex
After playing some more, I am starting to get tired of having to drive all the way across the map to do the exact same missions over and over. the enemies are exactly the same.

I still do have some fun while playing though. fun just thinking up different ways to try to kill people. i had an assasination mission to do at the airport. I get there and I don't see anyone around. I notice the map shows the target as being in the main hangar so i start to walk towards and i see that there are open windows near the top. i lob a grenade in and kill the guy, lol. just stuff like that make me keep playing.

The assassinations are an awesome part of the game. Especially when you get to intimidate them with the knife first. Once you get what you want, what do you do? I slowly backed out of the room, and then tossed a Molotov and watch him run around on fire. F'ing twisted fun I might add.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Had my first water cooler moment: At night I was approached a checkpoint with three guys. While I scoped it out, a technical drove by and around the bend. A little later, it came back heading for the checkpoint. Realizing I didn't want to take on five guys at once with a truck-mounted machine gun, I pulled out my RPG and as it neared the point, I shot it, BOOYAH!!! It blowed up real good!!! Suddenly, I saw I was taking damage. It was too soon for them to be returning fire, so WTF? I glanced around and realized the grass, the grass, THE GRASS WAS ON FIRE!!! Yikes! :Q As I ran toward the checkpoint away from I saw the flames spreading from the blown up truck and looking back, the grass fire was spreading and had engulfed a tree whose leaves were now burning. I had a cliff face behind me, so if these fires spread, I was screwed. They didn't and I had one straggler to cap before clearing the area. Note to self: Stuff burns!

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I just spent $50 on it and am quite upset. It's NOTHING like the first game, its more of an Assasin's Creed game, like somebody else said.

Very repetitive, weapons suck, and I can't get into it.

But, the graphics are quite good on my rig, and that's the only thing that keeps me playing every so often.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I'm glad i downloaded this one first before buying it.

Its absolutely horrific and not worth the time to even download. This game is almost as good as daikatana.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Regs

The assassinations are an awesome part of the game. Especially when you get to intimidate them with the knife first. Once you get what you want, what do you do? I slowly backed out of the room, and then tossed a Molotov and watch him run around on fire. F'ing twisted fun I might add.

wait, what? all of them immediately start to shoot at me, no intimidating them.

schizoid77

Mar 4, 2008
I find the more time you invest, the more effort you put in, the better it is. It's not a run and gun, it's not a pick up and play for a little, it's a GET INTO IT kinda game. For me, at least.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I'm moving on to Dead Space.
I played FC2 alot last night and into the morning and it just doesn't do it for me. :(
Creepy aliens here I come!

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

Pull knife out and press E? I did this at least 2-3 times as I can remember. One for the police chief, another at the school with the teacher who taught people had use explosives and the other for the radio censor. Maybe you did not take your buddies alternate mission?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

Pull knife out and press E? I did this at least 2-3 times as I can remember. One for the police chief, another at the school with the teacher who taught people had use explosives and the other for the radio censor. Maybe you did not take your buddies alternate mission?

no, i never got an alternate mission during an assassination mission.
you got the mission from the radio towers?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

Yes. When you take the alternate mission with your buddy you have to make him say a message on the radio at the ranger station. " I did what you want now just leave". Of course if you try to sprint out he'll start shooting at you like always. So I slowly back out facing him armed with a Molotov and watch the show!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

Yes. When you take the alternate mission with your buddy you have to make him say a message on the radio at the ranger station. " I did what you want now just leave". Of course if you try to sprint out he'll start shooting at you like always. So I slowly back out facing him armed with a Molotov and watch the show!

i wonder why i never got any alternate missions?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Just did that mission myself. 1st stop was to take out he sniper on the tower. Then climb tower and clean out what I could from long distance (I wish I had Fraps running cuz I had some movie-quality snipes in there). Then crawled down, walked up to hanger with machete... and well.... MISSION COMPLETE!

I am loving the game. I have to get back to the story line missions though as the "bonus" assassination missions from radio towers can get repetitive.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

I'm talking about if you just don't go directly to the objective but meet up with your buddy first. Blue arrow on map = buddy, red arrow = straight to objective. They give you a phone call first right after a mission breif.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006

I'm talking about if you just don't go directly to the objective but meet up with your buddy first. Blue arrow on map = buddy, red arrow = straight to objective. They give you a phone call first right after a mission breif.

I think you guys are talking about two different things. As far as I can tell, you're talking about some of the story missions given by the warring factions - like "destroy the mercenaries' gear" in which a buddy will call you and offer you an alternative to the mission.

I think Pontifex is talking about the standard "take out x target" missions that are received from the radio towers by the guy with the masked voice. Those missions usually just entail driving to some random location and killing some dude in a convoy.

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
Here are my observations.

1. Everything feels clunky and slow, like I am permanently stuck in mud. Everything felt smooth and fast in Crysis and Warhead.

2. The story is not engaging at all. After playing for a day I have no motivation to continue, it's just down right boring.

3. There's no reason to explore anything, and there is no variety in the enviroment. This game is just a copy of Assassin's Creed. Assassin's Creed is a shitty game with a couple things repeated over and over and over ad infinum. Anyone who likes AC must be a pretty boring individual.

4. Crysis and Warhead are infinitley superior to Far Cry 2.

5. Far Cry 2 is a shitty game and UbiSoft is a shitty company that makes shitty games.

imported_apocalypse

Aug 27, 2008
Far Cry 2 is trying to pull off a free roaming game ala GTA, but there isn't enough unique explorable content to make it work. There is none of the pace, excitement or character connection of a scripted linear shooter game. Nor are there the entertaining random things to do like in GTA. It just ends up being a lot of driving around to do the boring side missions, which reward you with nothing substantial.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I kind of think of GTA4 the same way. Drive, chase, drive, chase.... Some chases were so tight that if you made one slight error you're SOL. The game is based off of money and power, yet money was useless and no-one knew who you were or gave two craps about you. The only thing that kept me going in GTA4 was the senseless anarchy, which after three installments of GTA it gets rather boring quick, and to find out what happens to the Russian guy at the end.

yusux

Banned
Aug 17, 2008
I just drive through all the damn guard post and shoot down the hogs that chases you, I already beat the first area with nade launcher, dragnov and flamy. The only real grip I have is most of the guns are too inaccurate if you don't aim down on them and they have too much recoil, especially the heavy machineguns. They're really hard to just shoot to use compare to the first Farcry, over all the game is Flawed it deserves 7.9/10 at best,

graphics are nice, but HDR needs to be stronger, and shadows needed to be tweaked to achieve realistic effects "gfx ! in console", and for some reason the foliage and trees is magically bright at night, wheres the blood decals or the bullet shells? U hear bullet dropping but u see nothing at all.. theres too little critters imo I barely see them