Calling 9-11, Hello . . .

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Do You Want Us to Come and Shoot Her ?

From a 'Burb of Ft. Worth -

Um, if you have raised your kids to be BRATS - it's a waste of the Emergency
Dispatch's time to take care of your kids, because you're an incompetent parent.

Not the brightest thing for a Dispatcher to say, granted, but damn - what if there
realy was an emergency call coming in and this dicipline problem trumped it ?

<CLIP>

WATAUGA - Lori came home to find her daughters fighting that Monday evening. Her 12-year-old had kicked a hole in the door, and the girls were hitting and throwing things at each other. She feared one or both would be seriously hurt.

She called 911 and asked for help. Her 12-year-old daughter was out of control, she told the call-taker.

"OK. Do you want us to come over to shoot her?" the dispatcher asked, according to a recording released this week. For five seconds, the line went dead.

"Are you there?" the call-taker asked.

"Excuse me?" Lori said.

Mike Forbess, a dispatcher of five years for the Watauga Department of Public Safety, then told her he was joking and apologized. But Lori cannot get his comment out of her head.

"This is a slap in the face that my child was not important enough, my call for help, my 911 call was not important enough that he had to make a joke about it," Lori said Monday. She asked that her last name not be used to avoid identifying her daughters, one of whom has emotional problems.

Forbess immediately told his supervisor about the call. He received a letter of reprimand two days later. Forbess received a second letter of reprimand from Chief David Van Laar on Monday, the same day the Star-Telegram obtained a copy of the 911 call recording, and of Forbess' disciplinary records.

The mother, however, said her faith in the 911 system remains shaken. She said she plans to file a formal complaint.

"I do not have words to tell you how shocked I am that someone is allowed to do this," she said. "You don't do people like this, and then get a slap on the wrist."

In his letter to Forbess, Van Laar wrote: "This type of response cannot be tolerated, and this letter shall serve as notice that any future unprofessional responses while answering the 911 line will be cause for termination."

But the reprimand is not enough, the mother said.

The next time she has an emergency, she said, she won't feel safe calling 911.

"This man does need to be disciplined," Lori said. "How can a person in this line of work be so unfeeling that he asked a person who needed help, 'Would you like us to come over and shoot your child?'

"That's an interoffice disciplinary action," she said of the reprimands. "That doesn't do anything.

Van Laar made no excuses for the dispatcher.

"The reason I didn't take tougher action is, he immediately owned up to his supervisor and said he made a mistake," Van Laar said. "He's a good employee. He just made a severe mistake which is inexcusable. ... This is not something you should hear on the other end of a 911 call."

In an interview Monday, Forbess said he is sorry for his comment to the woman. In five years with the department, the dispatcher has never been disciplined for his handling of 911 calls.

Forbess has received two commendations from community members for his work. He was disciplined once with a written warning for working an unauthorized shift for a co-worker.

"I am so sorry for what I said to that lady, and I can never make it up to her," Forbess said. "I'm ashamed of my actions, what I said and what I did. I would take it back if I could, but I can't. I'm just very sorry that I did it. It was a poor choice of things to say."

Forbess said that he sometimes tells jokes or changes his tone of voice to ease the stress of a caller. In this case, he said, his words made the situation worse.

"I admit what I did. It was stupid, it was inexcusable and I'm sorry," Forbess said. "I know it's not enough for her or for the papers or for the rest of the world. I've taken the punishment that they gave."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why don't they fine the woman a few hundred dollars for mis-use of emergency services.
Can't control a 12 year old girl ? Where are the Ramones when you need them ?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
"OK. Do you want us to come over to shoot her?"

I heard this recently. This will be a classic saying.

I can personally attest to the Texas 911 system being overburdened with nonsense.

I installed a system that spans both Texas and Louisiana.

I brought up the New Orleans system first and saw an average number of calls per hour.

Then I brought up Texas and it was 7 times higher.

I know "Everything is Bigger in Texas" but there is no excuse for this.

It was obvious to me that the Texans use 911 as a Social line.

The woman should be ticketed and Social Services brought in and possibly take her kids away. Foster Parents may be able to better than her.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
The dispatcher was obviously over the line in that remark and should be disciplined more than just a letter (one-day suspension). That said, the mom, herself, needs to be smacked upside the head for being a stupid parent.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I wonder how many Govt programs the Mom is sucking off of? It is easy to see that she always turns to the Govt. to fix things in her life that she feels she is too stupid to take care of vy herself.

I really dislike parents who will not discipline their children.... .

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
It's going to reach the point where real emergencies are going to delay police being dispatched while the operators question the caller to see if the problem is legit. This is already a problem with Amber Alerts. I've heard these alerts issued, only to be withdrawn an hour later after the child was found in the care of a relative or babysitter.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Start charging people who blatantly make non-emergency calls.

I've heard a story about a local person who called 911 to have the police dispatched because her son wouldn't clean his room.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: conjur
The dispatcher was obviously over the line in that remark and should be disciplined more than just a letter (one-day suspension). That said, the mom, herself, needs to be smacked upside the head for being a stupid parent.

Agreed 100%. Stupid comment from dispatcher + stupid over-reaction from a hyper-sensitive caller.

Has anyone heard that 911 call from the woman who was mad at a fast food place (Burger King?) for not making her the sandwich she wanted? I'm not sure if it was real or not - heard it on the radio morning show a few weeks ago. Hillarious, nevertheless.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I've used it a half dozen times in the last few years, all traffic related. It would piss me off if someone could not get through because of some personal problem about child rearing.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Working with the public can be very hard. I'm sure that remark just slipped out before he could stop it. He was obviously frustrated. Who knows how many calls he had and how serious they were just before getting a stupid call like this? He was wrong, admitted it, and apologized. I'd say cut the guy a little slack, nobody is perfect.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

Working with the public can be very hard. I'm sure that remark just slipped out before he could stop it. He was obviously frustrated. Who knows how many calls he had and how serious they were just before getting a stupid call like this? He was wrong, admitted it, and apologized. I'd say cut the guy a little slack, nobody is perfect.

*Exactly... and I want to know.. >> What will that Mom's PUNISHMENT be.... she is the idiot that caused ALL of this...

Don't even get me started... she is raising two little b*tches that are going to live freely in this society in a few years and will be trouble for THE REST OF US... because she is not willing to discipline them herself and is probably sucking off of the Govt Tits... AND SO WILL THEY

She should be charged with a Civil Misdemeanor for calling 911 and risking the lives of people who may truly have an emergency :|

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
that b!tch needs to take care of her own fvcking kids and then deal with bullshit she gets from other people for being a horrible parent

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

I used to man the Call Station at the Firehouse before the 911 system kicked in.

I got all kinds of crazy calls from people like looking for advice and nothing to do with needing an Ambulance, Fire or Motor Vehicle wreck.

I was glad when the 911 system took over.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dahunan

*Exactly... and I want to know.. >> What will that Mom's PUNISHMENT be.... she is the idiot that caused ALL of this...

Don't even get me started... she is raising two little b*tches that are going to live freely in this society in a few years and will be trouble for THE REST OF US... because she is not willing to discipline them herself and is probably sucking off of the Govt Tits... AND SO WILL THEY

She should be charged with a Civil Misdemeanor for calling 911 and risking the lives of people who may truly have an emergency :|

Amen :thumbsup: