Call to Arms - Rally for a 4 Day Sprint on project Seti@Home June 9th - 12th

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Message from team TeAm AnandTech:

Call to Arms - Rally for a 4 Day Sprint on project Seti@Home June 9th - 12th, 2017 Smoke
pct_1.png

8 Jun 2017, 9:26:26 UTC

I know you haven't run Seti@Home in a very long time but here is a chance to get together once more and have some fun.

TeAm AnandTech Seti@Home is participating in a Sprint Race that only runs for 4 days: June 9, 10, 11, and 12.

Let's show the world we are still out there and are a TeAm to be respected.

Go to: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

Select the correct BOINC client for your computer(s) and install immediately. We are hours away from the official start.

Come visit your TeAm's Forum and say hello: https://forums.anandtech.com/forums/distributed-computing.15/

Crunch! Crunch! Crunch!

Smoke

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
I started Seti@Home on three i7 computers - 24 CPUs and 3 GPUs running now!

Reactions: Smoke

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
slowbones2, you are one of the first to answer the call! It is great seeing you here. :beer:

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Well seeing I did have one pending result it's not so long since last ran SETI... :innocent:

Now is it just my imagination, or have something happened to these forums - since I can't remember it was possible to just choose from a list of smilies last time was here. :cool:

... or rather remembered my password :oops:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Forum software changed sometime last yr (IIRC), can't say I like it as much :p

Hi RD btw :)

Oh & I've got my i7 4930k & HD7970 on SETI :), no idea how good they are at it, if SETI GPU uses lots of DP then it should do very nicely :), otherwise, not so much! lol
My CPU is finishing off some Asteroids & Pogs WUs atm, when do I need to switch it to SETI?

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Waffle checks in! :beer:

Subject: re: Message from team TeAm AnandTech: Call to Arms - Rally for a 4 Day Sprint on project Seti@Home June 9th - 12th, 2017

Thanks for the heads up! Seti running on 8 cores and 2 gpus as we speak.
cheers
waffle

Reactions: Ken g6

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Oh ok I'll fire up my 2nd rig too then ;), although I'm not sure about running it on it's GPU, I'm away this weekend & 2 GPUs crunching might turn it into an oven!

Re my main rig's GPU vs CPU, seems my GPU is nearly 7x faster than my CPU, but my CPU has 11 threads on SETI :).

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
My dual e5-2670 + r9 280x, I am not getting the "space heater" function that I also paid for :(

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
A bit late to the punch here but how can I offer my processing power to team Anandtech? I only have my laptop for now but it's been running on all 8 for the past days continuously. Heck I even have me OnePlus3 crunching WCG stuff...

I have to thank @VirtualLarry for unintentionally reminding me this stuff existed, I was doing Folding@Home about 8 years ago for about 1 year straight but been out of the game because of uni and now I'm suddenly back doing WCG, happy to switch to anything that needs work.

Any team I can join here to help the scientific cause? :)

EDIT: Joined you guys on WCG just a few moments ago! Any other places to look for your activity?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken g6

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Welcome to the TeAm, @DaQuteness! We're on most distributed computing projects. We're team 198 on folding, for instance. If you don't see the TeAm on a project ask here and we'll set it up or point you to how to join us.

Reactions: DaQuteness

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Joined you guys on WCG just a few moments ago! Any other places to look for your activity?
The weekly stats give an impression what folks are up to (some long-term, some short-term) and where the TeAm stands:

Lots of projects there; also have a look at the sticky thread.

Some of us are participating in Formula Boinc competitions (like the June 9-12 SETI@home sprint):
FormulaBOINC
TeAm AnandTech is registered in league 2 of the Formula (out of three leagues, for teams of different headcount). Users don't have to register with Formula Boinc in order to participate, they just need to register with their team in the respective project.
  • Next sprint is scheduled for June 22, 20:00 UTC to June 25, 19:59 UTC. The sprint project will be announced 1 day in advance (June 21, 20:00 UTC), which is when we can start switching our gear to the project, download tasks, start crunching, make first adjustments. (But only credits that we receive between June 22, 20:00 - June 25, 19:59 UTC will be counted.
  • And the entire year is meant to be a marathon in each of the projects which Formula Boinc is keeping tabs of. Therefore some of us are dedicating resources to projects where the TeAm could advance in ranks, or where we should defend our year 2017 ranking.
There are also PrimeGrid challenges:
PrimeGrid Races 2017
  • Next challenge is scheduled for August 20, 18:00 UTC - August 23, 18:00 UTC. No registration for the challenge required; just register with the TeAm. The August challenge is about the GCW-LLR subproject, and only work fetched after the beginning of the challenge and reported before the end of the challenge counts.
Recently we participated in the annual BOINC Pentathlon, hosted by SETI.Germany:
8th Annual BOINC Pentathlon
Very demanding, but also lots of fun. Something to look forward to next year, May 5 - May 19.​

Also hosted by SETI.Germany will be the annual Wow!-Event, a two weeks long SETI@home competition:
Formula Boinc thread, post #678 and following posts
  • 2017 Wow!-Event scheduled from August 15, 04:00 UTC to August 30, 18:00 CEST (16:00 UTC)
    individual registration necessary, registration for the upcoming event has not yet opened
I for one became involved with distributed computing just last December, when Ryan announced at the AnandTech front page that there is going to be a Folding@Home competition between TeAm AnandTech, Tom's Hardware, and Hardware Canucks, with prices going to a charity. Have had fun in the TeAm in several BOINC competitions since then, and am contributing bits of computation to F@H and a small number of other projects on a small scale between competitions. But on the whole, many TeAm members are pursuing one or more projects which interest them most on a regular basis, instead of jumping projects for competitions. (And as a greenhorn, I am always most impressed to see what sort of resources many of the TeAm members have already put into their projects over the years.)

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
@StefanR5R Wow, thank you very much for such a detailed answer, much appreciated! Well, I don't have too much in the way of firepower for now, hopefully I'll make a bigger contribution come September :) I am finding it hard to keep myself from just buying something!

Cool! I'll take a look and start crunching with the team!
Cheers!
V.