Call of Duty 4

Raybdbomb

Nov 10, 2003
I'm looking to buy Call of Duty 4 for online play.

I'd prefer buy it through Steam, since I already have Steam for other games and it's quick and convenient...

But my only concern is about the game and steam, does it detract from the game experience at all? I heard somewhere you can only play on Steam call of duty 4 servers, is that true?

Any thoughts either way?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Raybdbomb
I'm looking to buy Call of Duty 4 for online play.

I'd prefer buy it through Steam, since I already have Steam for other games and it's quick and convenient...

But my only concern is about the game and steam, does it detract from the game experience at all? I heard somewhere you can only play on Steam call of duty 4 servers, is that true?

Any thoughts either way?

i highly doubt it and that would be extremely dumb if true anyway.

Apr 17, 2005
if you plan on reselling the game you're better off with a boxed copy. otherwise go for steam. personally, with a game with so much MP, you're likely to be playing it for a while...i'd go with the steam version.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Raybdbomb
yea not going to resell. so no downsides to steam, eh?

it can be a bit slow to download but other than that, not really

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Why tie a game to Steam if you don't have to?

As for no-CD, use a no-CD crack.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BFG10K

that usually won't work if he wants to play mp.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: BFG10K

I think CoD 4 uses PunkBuster. A no-cd crack would be a bad idea.

ric0chet06

Jan 11, 2007
yea, i dont have a cd drive anymore (somethings faulty when connecting IDE hd and IDE cd drive on same ide cable) and the only time i used the cd was for installing it

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
steam hogging all your system resources in the tray while you play is one of the benefits to.

Nightmare225

Golden Member
May 20, 2006
What if, I dunno, STEAM goes down one day or Valve bankrupts? What then?

I'm going to be laughing at you because I have a physical copy and you don't.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Picked up a copy of CoD 4 at Target this weekend. It was on sale for $37. I was kind of surprised to see it on sale already. What does it go for on Steam? And I have to agree that having a physical disk is more desirable than downloading it. If your drive ever crashes or Steam goes under, you've got no way to re-install the game.

Maasracer

Aug 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Nightmare225

So, you've harbored these thoughts for 3 years now, huh? Yeah, that's a healthy way to look at it.

Obviously you're the first guy who's thought of this hypothetical and AT THIS MOMENT Gabe is scrambling. You're so right... if Valve goes bankrupt, Steam will obviously JUST GO AWAY. Maybe if Steam was, I dunno, a revenue generating product it might be bought up and continued... nah.

Hey, can I join you and the other cool kids on the anti-Steam soapbox??? I just wanna laugh too ! ! !

Nightmare225

Golden Member
May 20, 2006
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
Picked up a copy of CoD 4 at Target this weekend. It was on sale for $37. I was kind of surprised to see it on sale already. What does it go for on Steam? And I have to agree that having a physical disk is more desirable than downloading it. If your drive ever crashes or Steam goes under, you've got no way to re-install the game.

Steam's got it for $45 right now, so you saved some money.

Originally posted by: Maasracer

So, you've harbored these thoughts for 3 years now, huh? Yeah, that's a healthy way to look at it.

Obviously you're the first guy who's thought of this hypothetical and AT THIS MOMENT Gabe is scrambling. You're so right... if Valve goes bankrupt, Steam will obviously JUST GO AWAY. Maybe if Steam was, I dunno, a revenue generating product it might be bought up and continued... nah.

Hey, can I join you and the other cool kids on the anti-Steam soapbox??? I just wanna laugh too ! ! !

The fact remains, I feel much more secure with having a physical copy and proof that I own the game in my hands then sitting on someone's server hundreds of miles away.

It's not like I hate Steam, I acknowledge its attempts to combat piracy and streamline PC gaming, I even have all of Valve's games on my account. However, anything not Valve, I always get the physical copy.

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
I wish I had bought it through Steam. The game wouldn't run with the error "Cannot Locate DVD-ROM". Activision's support suggestions did not work. I ended up having to DL a no-cd cr@ck to play the single player.
My only worry wi DL'ing games from Steam is ...What if they go under someday? Then I'd be screwed.

Nnyan

May 30, 2003
I see the benefits of Steam for certain gamers and have no problems with anyone going that route. I also jumped into the Steam bandwagon for about 6-7 games before I stopped buying games on Steam. At the end of the day I just would rather not have to depend on Steam to play my games and I would rather have a hard copy (I image all my software anyway onto my NAS). Plus I normally can find the games for less then the Steam price.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Can't you just buy the game and activate it though Steam? That's what I did for Dark Messiah.

The service for DLing Prey (Triton?) went out of business. Everyone that DLed a copy got a free one from Steam.