Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Maybe I'm slow, it JUST occurred to me after many years of listening to it.

Is that a coincidence or the song is meant to refer to the word fornication?

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
It has nothing to do with fornication. It is saying that California sells its own culture.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Not only that, they didn't even bother to make their own music. They let Tom Petty do it for them.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: SilthDraeth
It has nothing to do with fornication. It is saying that California sells its own culture.

Yup. While its obviously a blend of the words California and fornication, the song is about the California image and culture.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It traces back to a "citizen's campaign" to keep the 1976 Winter Olympics from being held in
the state of Colorado. Bumper stickers had "Don't Californicate Colorado".
See:
http://listserv.linguistlist.o...nd0203d&L=ads-l&P=3247
The first use of "californicate" I remember was during
the Colorado citizens campaign against the 1976 Winter
Olympics. Denver had been awarded the 1976 Winter
Olympics, but a grassroots coalition helped pull the
plug. The winter games were switched to Innsbruck
after CO passed a law making it illegal to pay for
events like the Olympics with state taxes.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Even thought that thought has crossed my mind, it doesn't really make any sense.

To "californicate" something would be to make it somehow more like California. I think the song is talking more about cultural things, although I do admit I've never read the lyrics.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: YoungGun21
Not only that, they didn't even bother to make their own music. They let Tom Petty do it for them.

I love how people these days find songs with the same time signature and claim them as being ripped off.

Anyway, OP, you're very very slow.

sierrita

Mar 24, 2002
"Californicater" a has been used as a derogatory term for years. Ask anyone who grew up in Oregon or Arizona.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Originally posted by: sierrita
"Californicater" a has been used as a derogatory term for years. Ask anyone who grew up in Oregon or Arizona.

I lived in Cali until I was 9, then moved to Arizona, Kingman to be exact, I was there until I joined the military at 21. I never heard the term. But that doesn't mean it wasn't around, just not in Kingman I guess.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Originally posted by: pulse8

I love how people these days find songs with the same time signature and claim them as being ripped off.

I take that as a compliment... I <3 Petty!

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
I can't recall when I first heard the phrase "Don't Californicate Oregon". Generally used in reference to the mass imagration of Califorinains moving to our state. The Willamette Vally has been pretty well Californicated.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
imo, it's a play on "our music has sucked since we sobered up, so let's sing about nothing but california from now on." ;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
imo, it's a play on "our music has sucked since we sobered up, so let's sing about nothing but california from now on." ;)
They've been sober since before Blood Sugar Sex which was their best album

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: loki8481
They've been sober since before Blood Sugar Sex which was their best album

John Frusciante was in no way sober for Blood Sugar Sex Magik. He left the band during the tour for that album and a few years later did that interview where he looked like a friggin zombie.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Originally posted by: pulse8

When you can take Tom Petty's song (with or without the lyrics, doesn't matter) and play Californication right over it and they are completely in sync, don't you think that is a little bit of a rip?

I love the RHCP but I just don't think they should have totally ripped somebody else's song.