California Sierra snowpack approaching 40 year record highs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
SDGE came out today and got their bucket truck stuck on my Dad's property, East San Diego. My Dad warned them that it probably wasn't a good idea to drive a heavy bucket truck in the field.
We have gotten so much rain that while the top of the soil looks fine, any heavy vehicle breaks right through and winds up stuck in the mud.

PXL_20230302_192236489.jpg

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The rain has been good for us, but I wish we'd get at least some of it in summertime instead of literally zero. It might prevent some of these fires.

Reactions: Pohemi

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
How much of this snow pack is in the Colorado River basin, replenishing Lake Powell/Lake Mead, vs. just CA reservoirs or just flowing into the Pacific?

You don't do geography huh?

It is pretty freaky seeing snow in the hills around Palo Alto! There were street closures due to snow if you went past 280 towards Skyline Blvd into the hills.

Reactions: Brovane

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
You don't do geography huh?

It is pretty freaky seeing snow in the hills around Palo Alto! There were street closures due to snow if you went past 280 towards Skyline Blvd into the hills.
I'm an east coaster, and I can tell you exactly where the eastern continental divide is, literally less than 10 miles from where I live. Aside from some major CA cities locations, I don't know much about the west, especially names of mountain ranges.

Conversely, I would not choose to demean your lack of geographic knowledge if I told you a foot of rain fell on the Black Mountain range, one of the highest ranges in the Appalachian chain, and you didn't know if that rain would flow into the Atlantic Ocean, or the Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico. But if it makes you feel like a smarter person, I'm happy to contribute to your ego, it sounds like it needs a boost.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm an east coaster, and I can tell you exactly where the eastern continental divide is, literally less than 10 miles from where I live. Aside from some major CA cities locations, I don't know much about the west, especially names of mountain ranges.

Conversely, I would not choose to demean your lack of geographic knowledge if I told you a foot of rain fell on the Black Mountain range, one of the highest ranges in the Appalachian chain, and you didn't know if that rain would flow into the Atlantic Ocean, or the Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico. But if it makes you feel like a smarter person, I'm happy to contribute to your ego, it sounds like it needs a boost.

OK, but Lake Powell/Lake Mead are way east from California. SOME of all this moisture might make its way into the Colorado River drainage...but not much. The rain/snowfall that's hitting the Rocky Mountain region...Parts of Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, those will help the Colorado River.

Map_colorado-river_wikimedia.jpg

Reactions: MtnMan

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

Don't be such a baby, geez. If I didn't know where a place was I would look it up on a map.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
God I love California. It's pretty rare to find a place that you can go surfing and snow skiing on the same day.
Mt. Diablo this week.
Fp11bd5aAAAuYba.jpg:large
Nice pic! I think everything in that picture that isn't covered in snow is old landslide deposits.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Just had a peak at 10 day outlook in my locale and it says showers most days. Then looked up snowpack and they're saying looks like cold and rain may extend into April! :oops: I'm OMG, my plans for my yard need revisions. This is shaping up to be the year we hoped for in terms of drought busting, yep. Groundwater replenishment will take more than this, but the reservoirs should mostly be pretty set for now.

Looks like the start of a new ice age to me.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
SDGE came out today and got their bucket truck stuck on my Dad's property, East San Diego. My Dad warned them that it probably wasn't a good idea to drive a heavy bucket truck in the field.
We have gotten so much rain that while the top of the soil looks fine, any heavy vehicle breaks right through and winds up stuck in the mud.

View attachment 77506
It's just something that Alpha Males are condemned to do. :)

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
How much of this snow pack is in the Colorado River basin, replenishing Lake Powell/Lake Mead, vs. just CA reservoirs or just flowing into the Pacific?

My mother lives in Vegas and according to her the mountains around Vegas have record snowpacks. Any rain or melted snow from storms in the area gets funneled into Mead due to how Vegas and the surrounding area designed their storm drains.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Looks like a good day to stay in and watch The Shining.

Funny you should say that. My wife is South African and had never seen The Shining so wasn't getting my references.
So after quiting skiing early on Tuesday because of the whiteout we watched it together. :)

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
My mother lives in Vegas and according to her the mountains around Vegas have record snowpacks. Any rain or melted snow from storms in the area gets funneled into Mead due to how Vegas and the surrounding area designed their storm drains.

that’s a smort move

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
It's just something that Alpha Males are condemned to do. :)

Yup, something like "Hold my Beer" or "Watch This!!".

Of course my Dad knew how bad the field was because he got his RV stuck in the field about 6-weeks earlier.
That was a mess, we used boards and shovels to get the RV out and he hadn't gone very far into the field before realizing his mistake.
The SDGE kept going until his tires were very well buried.

PXL_20230120_211728041.jpg

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
that’s a smort move

I think quite a few of the cities in desert areas that are near reservoirs have designed their storm drain systems to flow into the nearby reservoir, or in the case of Salt Lake City they designed theirs to flow into the Lake.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
@Paratus
You imagine this series of storms + cold snap in California is a result of the Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW) event a few weeks back?
I did expect its impacts to be felt in the East, but a return to normal in ~10 days is about the coldest we can achieve.

Commonly, temperature anomalies between the West Coast and Midwest / East Coast are polar opposites. So maybe California got it instead of us?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
After a brief hiatus, three more days of rain. Thunder and lightning two nights in a row. Coming down hard. We haven't been battered like this since, I think it was around 1987.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
@Paratus
You imagine this series of storms + cold snap in California is a result of the Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW) event a few weeks back?
I did expect its impacts to be felt in the East, but a return to normal in ~10 days is about the coldest we can achieve.

Commonly, temperature anomalies between the West Coast and Midwest / East Coast are polar opposites. So maybe California got it instead of us?
Heard I think in TV the other day: A warmer atmosphere holds more moisture—about 7 percent more per 1.8°F (1°C) of warming .

So, global warming is stoking the formation of the storms we are experiencing. Those would include this winter's and, of course, the hurricane/typhoon/cyclone events.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
After a brief hiatus, three more days of rain. Thunder and lightning two nights in a row. Coming down hard. We haven't been battered like this since, I think it was around 1987.
Another storm coming through N. Calif. right now. I heard rolling thunder early this morning (it's only 4AM here now), then there was pouring rain laced with hail. I've heard thunder quite a few times in the last few weeks, which is very unusual. On average I hear thunder maybe once a year here.

More storms are imminent here. We aren't due for 3 straight days without rain until Thursday (4 days from now). Snow continues to pile up in the Sierras. I think we're around record levels now for the date and I figure we are apt to surpass records by April.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
@Paratus

Seems at least plausible. In general the stratosphere has cooled since heat has a slightly tougher time getting through the increase in greenhouse gases and reaching the stratosphere/space from the ground.

Heat transfer is still going to happen and I guess SSW is one way it happens. If that moves the jet stream around then it can let the cold at the North Pole down to lower latitude. I guess it depends on how the jet steam is deformed that defines where the cold air is going and for how long.

Definitely getting into weather more than climate here.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
From Mercurynews.com just now. OMG, they said the storms would let up for 3 days starting Thursday. Now they're saying an atmospheric river will hit Thursday and Friday. Sheesh. :oops:

Atmospheric river storm this week will bring heavy rain, raise flood concerns with huge Sierra Nevada snowpack
Experts are watching computer models closely, nervous about growing flood risk

The winter of 2023 isn’t finished yet. Not by a long shot.

An atmospheric river storm is likely to hit Northern California late Thursday into Friday, meteorologists and climate scientists said Monday, bringing high chances of heavy rain in the Bay Area, 1 to 3 feet of new snow at higher elevations in the Sierra, and an increased risk of flooding as the warm rain hits the state’s massive snowpack.

Details about the storm, a classic “pineapple express” event barreling in more than 2,000 miles from Hawaii, are still not certain.

But this past weekend, computer models began to show its likelihood increasing from about 10% to now about 70%, said Daniel Swain, a climate scientist at UCLA.

“There’s a lot of uncertainty at this point regarding how intense it will be, how prolonged it will be, and the impacts it will likely have,” Swain said, “as well as whether it will be followed by additional warm storms or not. All of that is up in the air. However, confidence has grown that a warm rain event of some magnitude will occur later this week.”

This storm is most likely to be a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5, potentially a 4, said Marty Ralph, director of the Center for Western Weather and Water Extremes at UC San Diego and one of the nation’s leading experts on atmospheric rivers.

“It will be felt as far south as San Diego and up to the Russian River,” Ralph said.