California running out of money

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
strangely enough, I had a very good burrito in Thailand. I even had Pizza in a cone!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: venkman
strangely enough, I had a very good burrito in Thailand. I even had Pizza in a cone!

I had an awful burrito in Thailand, but I did have some great Italian food up in Chiang Mai.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Zebo
Originally posted by: smack Down
Originally posted by: BoomerD
A HUGE part of the problem with Kahleeforneeya's economy is the "Govern by proposition" bullshit we have here.

Every special interest group in the state pushes a proposition that requires state funding without having to figure out HOW to fund it...so the money is expected to come from the general fund.

Every election cycle, Kahleeforneeya is awash in new propositions for this or that...yet none of them come with any specific way to pay for them.

Imagine passing a workable budget and expecting to actually live by it...then having all sorts of new bills added that require 25% of your budget to be spent on other things...makes it dammed tough, especially when your income is dropping every year.

Kahleeforneeya has lots of problems...IMO, many of them caused by the proliferation of illegal immigrants and the many programs that support them in one way or another. (welfare, food stamps, SSI, ESL classes, allowing the illegals to attend college with resident rates,etc.)

I'm not looking forward to having my vehicle license fees tripled again...that's gonna suck. Ah-Nold has suggested a $12 increase in those fees. IMO, that's acceptable, but tripling those fees will just mean more un-licensed and un-insured drivers on the roadways.

Kahleeforneeya needs to raise taxes on the wealthiest 1%, start charging sales tax on services, (something many states already do) and increase the state sales tax by 1%. Charging sales taxes on luxury items such as yachts and personal aircraft purchased in another state is also a good way to bring some $$$ into the state. (they already do this for cars and trucks with some time limitations)

There are enough poor people in this state that cutting programs is a bad idea. yes, there's a lot of fraud and waste, and THAT should be gone after, prosecuted, and eliminated, but cutting programs for those who can't help themselves just seems...Republican. (compassionate conservative ring a bell?)

You forgot to mention the single biggest reason CA is screwed. Prop 13 aka screw the new comer law.

Without it it was screw over the old couple on a fixed income or pension law who were tossed out of their homes by sheriffs due to their rising home values. And you have to be naive to believe 41B could be made up from getting those very few (most are dead) who are still under 1970s property values up to current values.

Every other state in the nation seems to get buy with out some BS like Prop 13. Having everyone pay the same tax isn't screwing over anyone it is called fair.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: winnar111
And the state can only get worse once Obama comes in and takes all the money away from the Hollywood liberals and gives it to the UAW in Michigan.

Wow, another baseless, uneducated attack on Obama from winnar111. At least this time the thread didnt start out that way.

BTW, CA is broken beyond repair - There is nothing Schwarzenegar, or anyone else can do - it's fiscal corruption is deeper than Chicago's political corruption. Its been this way for decades, the state is owned by big business, its not the fault of liberals, or conservatives, its because the elected officials sold the state off long ago, and the new ones coming in contimue to corruption. Gray Davis was very possibly the worst of them all. The man makes Blago look like Mother Theresa. I left CA 4 years ago and will never go back its broken WAY beyond repair.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: retrospooty
And the state can only get worse once Obama comes in and takes all the money away from the Hollywood liberals and gives it to the UAW in Michigan.

Wow, another baseless, uneducated attack on Obama from winnar111. At least this time the thread didnt start out that way.

BTW, CA is broken beyond repair - There is nothing Schwarzenegar, or anyone else can do - it's fiscal corruption is deeper than Chicago's political corruption. Its been this way for decades, the state is owned by big business, its not the fault of liberals, or conservatives, its because the elected officials sold the state off long ago, and the new ones coming in contimue to corruption. Gray Davis was very possibly the worst of them all. The man makes Blago look like Mother Theresa. I left CA 4 years ago and will never go back its broken WAY beyond repair.

No, Arnold is worse than Gray Davis. Claimed he wouldn't take special interest money, then takes more than Gray Davis. Increased the size of govt more and faster than Davis.
Check the numbers and get back to me.
And California will rise again to take its rightful place as richest and most prosperous state.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: marincounty

No, Arnold is worse than Gray Davis. Claimed he wouldn't take special interest money, then takes more than Gray Davis. Increased the size of govt more and faster than Davis.
And California will rise again to take its rightful place as richest and most prosperous state.
Actually Pete "Pee Wee" Wilson was the worse of them all and is the main reason California is in the predicament it's in now.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Actually Pete "Pee Wee" Wilson was the worse of them all and is the main reason California is in the predicament it's in now.

Is that the equivalent of a buh-buh Clinton response?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: venkman
Good. F--- California and their retarded government. I hope you all starve to death while worshiping at the alter of plastic surgery, tree hugging, and terrible burritos.

Now you've pissed me off. California (and SF in particular) has the best burritos in the world. That's right, better than Mexico (or Michigan).
Text

too bad the burrito isn't exactly an authentic mexican cuisine.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

Now you've pissed me off. California (and SF in particular) has the best burritos in the world. That's right, better than Mexico (or Michigan).
Text

[/quote]

Damn you and your jpg of mission-style burrito enticement. That looks so good!

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
the state's got a LOT of nice land sunk into reserves. @ the rate of $20,000 an acre, they'd
have a lot of buyers. one guy at the pool has 45 acres next to 8500 acres. if 23.5% of that
is buildable, that's 2000 acres. sell that one parcel, there's $40,000,000 for the county.

i wonder if they will start selling off state and county parks. there's no reason they couldn't
make that work. i know people would complain about "development". but if i got 2 of those
acres, i would take VERY good care of it, and make an effort to keep it "native".

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: wwswimming
i wonder if they will start selling off state and county parks. there's no reason they couldn't
make that work. i know people would complain about "development". but if i got 2 of those
acres, i would take VERY good care of it, and make an effort to keep it "native".

You know, I thought people above had made a lot of stupid comments but you sir are a moron.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

LOL - OK, we have the past 3 governors of the state in a battle for the most corrupt special interest money criminal of them all... This is exactly why the state is fucked.

its the largest state with the highest payscale, and one of the highest tax rates. By economy of scale California should have more money to spare than any other state by far... The waste is phenominal... Sad.

Paddington

Jun 26, 2006
In my state there's a budget deficit, which isn't quite as big as California's. They could fix it easily with a slight sales tax hike (which was recently lowered) and some spending cuts, but I don't think they're going too. I think this state (along with 28 others with deficits) will play the watch and wait game, to see if Calif. gets bailouts and then ask for one too.

You can't blame them, honestly. I think the federal gov't really needs to force the hand of states to make major tax hikes and spending cuts, before assistance is given, but we'll see if that happens.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Paddington
In my state there's a budget deficit, which isn't quite as big as California's. They could fix it easily with a slight sales tax hike (which was recently lowered) and some spending cuts, but I don't think they're going too. I think this state (along with 28 others with deficits) will play the watch and wait game, to see if Calif. gets bailouts and then ask for one too.

You can't blame them, honestly. I think the federal gov't really needs to force the hand of states to make major tax hikes and spending cuts, before assistance is given, but we'll see if that happens.

Why why why why why does everyone immediately jump to the "hike taxes" idea to try and solve the deficit problems? The *real* answer is to cut spending, I mean REALLY cut spending. Not this "we'll increase it less than inflation" or "we'll increase it by less than we did before" BS, they need to slash spending and remove waste before they go to consider raising taxes and fees.