• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The California chapter of the NAACP is pushing to get rid of the national anthem, calling the song racist and anti-black, CBS station KOVR-TV reports.

"This song is wrong," chapter president Alice Huffman told the station. "It should never have been there, and just like we didn't have it until 1931, it won't kill us if it goes away."

As quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers,
Colin Kaepernick started the NFL protests during the anthem that quickly spread to bring attention to racial injustice in the country. But Huffman said Kaepernick's message was lost when it turned into a debate about the flag.

"The real intentions got overlooked, and it's become something that's dividing us, and I'm looking for a way to bring us back together," she said.

Huffman said that the protests led her to look at the lyrics of "The Star-Spangled Banner," especially the parts of the anthem Americans don't typically sing.

"It's racist," she said. "It doesn't represent our community. It's anti-black people."

Huffman is referring to the third stanza, which includes the lyric "no refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave."

She said some interpretations conclude that the lyrics celebrate the deaths of black American slaves fighting for freedom and the song should be replaced with something that supports all our values."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/national-anthem-lyrics-california-naacp-star-spangled-banner/

Unfortunately, I think this will just polarize opposition to the NAACP in general and fuel even more racism.

Feb 16, 2005
The lyrics of a verse no one ever sings is the least of the problems with our national anthem. It sucks. It's not tuneful, it's hard to sing, and it's about a war we mostly lost.
Yea, I keep forgetting that as a song, musically speaking, it sucks.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
My answer to the poll depends on whether we're talking about the full lyrics or just the ones used at sporting events.

I don't see a reason to get rid of it so long as we continue to jettison the racist lyrics.

Reactions: ViRGE and Ken g6

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The lyrics of a verse no one ever sings is the least of the problems with our national anthem. It sucks. It's not tuneful, it's hard to sing, and it's about a war we mostly lost.
Yeah, "America the Beautiful" should be made the anthem.

Reactions: Ken g6
Jan 25, 2011
My answer to the poll depends on whether we're talking about the full lyrics or just the ones used at sporting events.

I don't see a reason to get rid of it so long as we continue to jettison the racist lyrics.
Doesn't that kind of illustrate the entire point the black community has been making about racism in America for years? It's racist. We know it's there. But if we just ignore it then it's not so bad.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Doesn't that kind of illustrate the entire point the black community has been making about racism in America for years? It's racist. We know it's there. But if we just ignore it then it's not so bad.

Which has nothing to do with whether it's appropriate to keep the song in the manner in which it is currently sung. If they want to raise awareness about the excluded racist lyrics, they're doing so, and I think that's fine. We should know that our national anthem had racist lyrics in it as originally written.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'll be down to change after we fix inequality and injustice. Right now though, because most of the inequality and injustice is coming from conservative fear that somebody will cut in line in front of them with their own needs, I don't see getting them all riled up over a sore toe issue like this. Almost anything will set off their snowflake victim responses at a time when it's vital they wake the fuck up.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
the "slave" part is not talking about black slaves. its talking about the people fighting for the crown and calling them slaves. good grief whats next, using the word slave in any context racist?

Feb 16, 2005
the "slave" part is not talking about black slaves. its talking about the people fighting for the crown and calling them slaves. good grief whats next, using the word slave in any context racist?
Just when I think you couldn't get any more ignorant.
As we have written about in detail, the view that “The Star-Spangled Banner” is racist stems from the third stanza of the original Francis Scott Key poem (“The Defence of Fort McHenry”) from which the lyrics to the song come. This section has been interpreted by some historians as glorifying the death of runaway American slaves fighting on the side of the British during the War of 1812:
https://www.snopes.com/california-naacp-want-replace-national-anthem/

If your spin was accurate, I'd think they'd sing that loudly and proudly, don't you?

Jan 25, 2011
Just when I think you couldn't get any more ignorant.

https://www.snopes.com/california-naacp-want-replace-national-anthem/

If your spin was accurate, I'd think they'd sing that loudly and proudly, don't you?
Key never specified what he meant. There's "two sides" to the discussion. One side argues it means mercenaries and actual slaves. The other side argues mercenaries and captured sailors forced into service by the British.

The problem is it's not clear. And in its present form, in this day and age, it's quite easily interpreted as racist.

Feb 16, 2005
Key never specified what he meant. There's "two sides" to the discussion. One side argues it means mercenaries and actual slaves. The other side argues mercenaries and captured sailors forced into service by the British.

The problem is it's not clear. And in its present form, in this day and age, it's quite easily interpreted as racist.
key was a slaveholder and profited from said slaves. evidence points towards it being escaped slaves fighting for their freedom for the crown.

Jan 25, 2011
key was a slaveholder and profited from said slaves. evidence points towards it being escaped slaves fighting for their freedom for the crown.
Hey I'm with you. Was just throwing out some historical interpretation for the rest ;)

I knew you already knew that.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, "America the Beautiful" should be made the anthem.
Go ahead, replace it with America the beautiful, didn't know you so called (separation of church and state) liberals wanted to use a christian song that glorifies God (you know that guy in the sky you tell everyone is no more real than Santa Claus or the tooth fairy) as the national anthem.
O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet,
Whose stern, impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!