California ignoring the 2nd Amendment yet again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Oh joy, more pointless arguing about the "well armed militia" crap.

Can't we just move on? Not something we shoud be wasting our time on.

And treason? Hyperbole much?

You're right, let's argue more about vagina rights and how Romney can't remember when he met his wife. Those are much more relevant than lawmakers creating laws that blatantly ignore the Constitution.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

You're right, let's argue more about vagina rights and how Romney can't remember when he met his wife. Those are much more relevant than lawmakers creating laws that blatantly ignore the Constitution.

Zing!

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I'm not being a smart-ass, but does the 2nd amendment really protect totally unrestricted open carry of weapons? Even in a place like Texas, I suspect openly carrying a shotgun through a shopping mall would cause a bit of a stir. The California law here doesn't seem THAT unreasonable, all things considered.

A shopping mall is private property so your scenario does not apply.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Do we live in the wild wild west were people have shootouts now? Why the hell do you want to open carry a gun. Plan to gun someone down in public or something?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
California ignoring the 2nd Amendment yet again

In California it will be illegal to:

Open carry a loaded handgun in public
Open carry a loaded rifle in public
Open carry an unloaded handgun in public (passed last year)
Open carry an unloaded rifle in public (when this passes)

Since most counties will not issue concealed carry permits, there is no way for the majority of Californians to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.

Dude

An unarmed citizenry cannot fight

Get with the program

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Srsly, dat gubbernment be taking your god-given rights away, Schneiderguy. Time for you to put your guns to use and fight the power. Take your well regulated militia buddies and reclaim 'Merica. That's what you have the guns for in the first place, right? To ensure your freedoms? Time to put up or shut up.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Do we live in the wild wild west were people have shootouts now? Why the hell do you want to open carry a gun. Plan to gun someone down in public or something?

The reason open carry is a good thing is for the same reason why people do not try to mug a cop - you KNOW the person is armed with a deadly weapon, so mugging them would be a very unsafe thing to attempt.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

How would you feel about having your right to vote restricted?

What other liberties do you enjoy? Such as having a job, owning a home, being married, having children, buying food,,,,,.

Do you own your home? Were you denied a loan because of your race, sex, religion?

Any infringement on our rights and civil liberties should be taken seriously.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
[
Since most counties will not issue concealed carry permits, there is no way for the majority of Californians to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.

Where is the Constitution does it say you have the right to carry a weapon, concealed or otherwise?

Can you own a gun and store it in your house in CA? Seems good enough for a militia to me. I don't want people walking around with guns, loaded or not, in my state. Keep that red neck shit in the fly over states.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_South_Carolina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_California

I'll leave you to interpret those yourself. Hint: it has something to do with South Carolina having a very large population of a certain race that commits violent crimes at a rate far above the national average.

Go on, say it. You know you want to. Drop that "N" bomb. Don't be afraid, there's plenty more people on this forum who feel the same way you do about "those people."

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Srsly, dat gubbernment be taking your god-given rights away, Schneiderguy. Time for you to put your guns to use and fight the power. Take your well regulated militia buddies and reclaim 'Merica. That's what you have the guns for in the first place, right? To ensure your freedoms? Time to put up or shut up.

'Murica, fuck yeah!

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Are you allowed to carry an unloaded weapon + ammunition? E.g. IDF style?

Six-IDF-Women.jpg

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Where is the Constitution does it say you have the right to carry a weapon, concealed or otherwise?

Can you own a gun and store it in your house in CA? Seems good enough for a militia to me. I don't want people walking around with guns, loaded or not, in my state. Keep that red neck shit in the fly over states.

HAY. I wonder what would have happened if someone had been carrying a loaded gun in the theater in Aurora on that night. You know, maybe the massacre would have instead been limited to say...injuries only. Or less deaths. Oh, wait. I'm using logic, and proposing ideas. Whoops, I'll stop that now.

Are you allowed to carry an unloaded weapon + ammunition? E.g. IDF style?

Six-IDF-Women.jpg

In CA, no. In most states, no. Rifles generally cannot be open carried, nor should they be IMO. Handguns shouldn't really be open carried in my mind either. Concealed, yes.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I have a CCW and and always armed, on that note I have never understood the desire to open carry. in this day in age it generates way too much negative attention that i dont need. hell just look at the people arrested for somebody seeing their concealed weapon...

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
The reason open carry is a good thing is for the same reason why people do not try to mug a cop - you KNOW the person is armed with a deadly weapon, so mugging them would be a very unsafe thing to attempt.

so much fail fail fail.

actually for the mugger its perfectly safe. You are not going to do shit when you are walking down the street and a punkass mugger steps out and points a gun in your face. What are you going to do, quick-draw him like billy the kid or something? lol not only is he going to get your wallet but he damn sure is going to take your piece as well and may even shoot your ass with it just out of principal.

open carry does not deter shit. stage coaches, trains, armed cars all get or were stuck up and they had/have armed guards. if somebody wants what you have they will get it.

Last edited:

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
so much fail fail fail.

actually for the mugger its perfectly safe. You are not going to do shit when you are walking down the street and a punkass mugger steps out and points a gun in your face. What are you going to do, quick-draw him like billy the kid or something? lol not only is he going to get your wallet but he damn sure is going to take your piece as well and may even shoot your ass with it just out of principal.

open carry does not deter shit. stage coaches, trains, armed cars all get or were stuck up and they had/have armed guards. if somebody wants what you have they will get it.

Or lets them know they need to take you from a different angle, or just shoot you on sight. If they don't know you're armed, you can surprise them. Open carry is a dumb idea.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I thought the Amendments only applied to federal laws? Im all for the states making their own laws, if we dont like them then the politicians dont get elected, plain and simple. Look at marijuana laws, states are flipping off big brother by not "protecting people from themselves".

No. (And I'm assuming when you write "Amendments" you mean the Bill of Rights). The most recent significant SCOTUS case on gun rights was Heller. Heller was an individual suing Washington DC because of overly restrictive gun laws.

Originally, the Bill of Rights was seen as primarily applying to the fed govt, and states could make their own laws. Slavery changed that.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I'm not being a smart-ass, but does the 2nd amendment really protect totally unrestricted open carry of weapons? Even in a place like Texas, I suspect openly carrying a shotgun through a shopping mall would cause a bit of a stir. The California law here doesn't seem THAT unreasonable, all things considered.

'Reasonable' restrictions are fine.

The question would be, I think, is the totality of these laws 'reasonable'?

IIRC, laws against open carry have been struck down. I don't remember the details (and am too lazy ATM to hunt for it) nor I have read the CA law, so I have not formed any opinion.

Here in NC my understanding is that you can open carry. However, we also have a law against 'Going armed to the terror of the public'. I.e., there are some restrictions on open carry.

Fern

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
No. (And I'm assuming when you write "Amendments" you mean the Bill of Rights). The most recent significant SCOTUS case on gun rights was Heller. Heller was an individual suing Washington DC because of overly restrictive gun laws.

Originally, the Bill of Rights was seen as primarily applying to the fed govt, and states could make their own laws. Slavery changed that.

Fern

Not totally right. Originally they were meant to apply to the states, until SCOTUS rules in 1833 in Barron v Baltimore that they did not. As a result of this, the 14th amendment was ratified, and most of the amendments have now been incorporated. The 2nd amendment included (McDonald v Chicago.)

Last edited:

SeasickBill

Aug 31, 2012
Totally fine with this. I see no need for anyone to be openly carrying a firearm in a public place. If you want to hunt, fine. If you want to have a gun in your house to protect your family, fine. But let's stop pretending that we're stopping violent crime by letting people carry loaded weapons in public.

The less guns there are on the streets and the more difficult it is to obtain one the better.

Criminals obtain their guns illegally. Only a good citizen who is not a felon, under the age of 18, or mentally unstable can own a gun. Take the guns out of a good citizens hand and you have only criminals with guns. It's not just about stopping someone from committing a violent crime but also to defend ourselves from an abusive government. People become the victim of a violent crime because the criminal knows there is low risk. The criminal thinks that there is a 1 in 10, if not more, chance that you'll be armed. Well with a 9 out of 10 chance that someone if armed the criminal would focus on something else that is destructive to society instead of constructive.

SeasickBill

Aug 31, 2012

No we don't we have more law enforcement now then ever so no band of thieves will be taking over any towns just because you can open carry. Why would someone just gun someone down in public just because we can open carry? If they wanted to do that then they would purchase a firearm or obtain one illegally, conceal it and then pull it out when he guns whoever down in public. No one could stop that. Maybe if the public shooter knew that the man he was going to gun down was armed he would think twice. An armed society is a polite society. Not everyone's so willing to take a chance getting shot just to shoot the first person who pisses them off.