California 1st to set quota limits for retailers like Amazon

borosp1

Apr 12, 2003
I think this is good news for warehouse workers in California. Having to go to bathroom while being under some gun that effects negatively by potential disciplinary actions how the employer sees how productive you are is not great for the employee and there human health long term. I know this will lead to more and more robotics replacing's people in this and many other industries as robots don't complain and can work 24/7... But there has to be a baseline standard of human health when employing a person to do a job and not treat them as disposable machinery..

California on Wednesday became the first state to bar mega-retailers from firing warehouse workers for missing quotas that interfere with bathroom and rest breaks under a new law signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom that grew from Amazon's drive to speed goods to consumers more quickly.
The measure also bars Amazon, the online retail giant, and similar companies from disciplining workers for following health and safety laws and allows employees to sue to suspend unsafe quotas or reverse retaliation. The bill applies to all warehouse distribution centers, though proponents were driven by Amazon's dominance.
“We cannot allow corporations to put profit over people,” Newsom, a Democrat, said in a news release announcing he had signed the law.

The law, AB 701, was authored by Democratic Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, a lawyer and former labor leader. She accused Amazon of disciplining warehouse workers at the direction of “an algorithm” that tracks employees' activities and can determine that anything not directly related to moving packages is “off-task.”
“Amazon is pushing workers to risk their bodies for next-day delivery, while they can’t so much as use the restroom without fearing retaliation," Gonzalez said when the Legislature passed her bill.

Workers who think their quotas lead to unsafe behavior can ask for 90 days' worth of documentation of how their work speed meets or fails the quota. Any discipline within that 90 days is presumed to be retaliation, as is any discipline within 90 days of an employee complaining to the company or a state agency about an unsafe quota.

Yesenia Barrera, a former warehouse employee who is now an organizer with the Warehouse Worker Resource Center, recalled the constant pressure to perform and “carrying, bending, reaching, twisting and packing items from 30-60 pounds for hours a day.”

But 27 business organizations led by the California Retailers Association objected that California is home to thousands of warehouse distribution centers that together “provide quality jobs to hundreds of thousands of working-class Californians.”

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
But every working class schmuck in America needs to start standing up for the group or else we're gonna get screwed.

Thanks to the efforts of the Repub party leadership and their very wealthy plutocrat benefactors toward keeping the working class and the poor divided along political and theocratical lines of contention, they have managed to have the working class stiffs of the nation fighting against each other rather than uniting for their (our) own best interests, of which is the ultra wealthy's worst nightmare: The vast majority of the nation comprised of the middle class and the poor dictating terms to the very few obscenely rich power brokers along the lines of sharing the wealth our nation produces.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Thanks to the efforts of the Repub party leadership and their very wealthy plutocrat benefactors toward keeping the working class and the poor divided along political and theocratical lines of contention, they have managed to have the working class stiffs of the nation fighting against each other rather than uniting for their (our) own best interests, of which is the ultra wealthy's worst nightmare: The vast majority of the nation comprised of the middle class and the poor dictating terms to the very few obscenely rich power brokers along the lines of sharing the wealth our nation produces.
Incase you haven't noticed, Amazon is run by the ultimate Liberal, Democrat politicians tend to represent most of wealthy people, and they haven't been the party of the working class for a long time.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Incase you haven't noticed, Amazon is run by the ultimate Liberal, Democrat politicians tend to represent most of wealthy people, and they haven't been the party of the working class for a long time.

That is totally why almost every Democrat in the state house voted for this bill and EVERY SINGLE Republican voted against it.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Do you get off being a fucking moron? I’m just trying to figure out why you always post the exact opposite of reality.

I guess when you are a traitor your world is upside down and inside out.

Reactions: hal2kilo

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Mentally deranged poster strikes again.

Reactions: hal2kilo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

If you actually look at the statistics, wealthier Americans tend to lean Republican, until you get to some uber rich niche groups, like Hollywood level money and some of the billionaires. But most wealthy people vote R. More of America's richest families lean R.

Also, which party tries to do things for the working class? Healthcare? Higher wages for non-degree jobs? Taxing the rich and corps more? Protecting workers? I mean this info is all out there and you must know it. Which begs the question...

How are you so willfully stupid?

I can tell you a secret how the R's consistently get lesser off whites to vote for them. They employ hate and lies. It's a party of shit people.

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”

― Lyndon B. Johnson

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
In case you haven't noticed your brain is rotten and you've not posted anything of merit in like ever. Fuck off clown!

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo and Burpo

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
If you actually look at the statistics, wealthier Americans tend to lean Republican, until you get to some uber rich niche groups, like Hollywood level money and some of the billionaires. But most wealthy people vote R. More of America's richest families lean R.

Also, which party tries to do things for the working class? Healthcare? Higher wages for non-degree jobs? Taxing the rich and corps more? Protecting workers? I mean this info is all out there and you must know it. Which begs the question...

How are you so willfully stupid?

I can tell you a secret how the R's consistently get lesser off whites to vote for them. They employ hate and lies. It's a party of shit people.

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”

― Lyndon B. Johnson

I hear what you are saying, and it may be valid. However, you used a Democrat, who was reportedly (according to the FBI, part of JFK document release) a former Klansman as the quoted example? Kinda confusing don't ya think?

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Any minute now @brandonbull will be along to explain why the GOP in California was totally in support of this but voted against it because reasons and how the Democrats did this as a favor to Bezos because they hate the working class.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I hear what you are saying, and it may be valid. However, you used a Democrat, who was reportedly (according to the FBI, part of JFK document release) a former Klansman as the quoted example? Kinda confusing don't ya think?
What better source than him for that kind of knowledge and insight then?

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
What better source than him for that kind of knowledge and insight then?

True enough. It saddens me though to think that people assume that this media circus and political mess is new. I remember (from school) that Roman history was similar, and that many of the current political tactics were common amongst Roman politicians several thousand years ago.

What was old is new again..........

Damn I feel old, since I learned that in the 1970's. That makes me feel like having a pint or three right now! I don't work tomorrow, so why not!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Do you get off being a fucking moron? I’m just trying to figure out why you always post the exact opposite of reality.

I guess when you are a traitor your world is upside down and inside out.

Dude, I have told you a dozen times and I'm seriously getting fed up.

STOP HOLDING BACK!

TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL!!!

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It pains me that this needed to be put into a law.
I'm not sure it needed to be. Most of this would fall under existing OSHA regulations. Though it seems to be moving some of OSHA's oversite away from administrative action and into litigation.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

That may be true, but he's not a politician. But answer this: why did EVERY Republican vote against this? And why would we need legislation to give people breaks? Why did ALL the Democrats vote for it? Wouldnt that go against Bezos wishes?