Cali people, need some help...............

Jul 12, 2001
My friend is driving down from San Fran tom. and wants to take PCH, but he wants to know where to start and where to get off route 1

Its been about a year or 2 since i did it, I know that it doesnt really matter where u start, but if u go to far south you run into a lot of small towns for a while and it takes a lot longer then it should with no real scenery...

any suggestions?

phreakah

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2002
a few years ago i took a trip up to SF from LA on the 1

it took FOREVER... the road winds and turns at the hills, there are no barriers on the road, so you have to go pretty slow

i think it took my sister about 8 hours before she finall said fvck it and hopped onto either the 5 or 101 in some town

Jul 12, 2001
Yeah its only worth it for a portion of it...im trying to figure out what that portion is so that he isnt taking the 2-3 hours to go through small towns

Wahsapa

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
i have a HUGE ass map of california and its highways on my wall -looks at it- the last thing you want to do is take the PCH anywhere.

about to san luis obispo is about as far as id want to go without hoping on the 5.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
The best portion is from San Fran to Hearst Castle. After that take connecting highway 101, 'cause 1 goes through the endless fields - no ocean view, nothing but occasional farming equipment. The stretch from Hearst Castle to San Fran is excellent though.

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: paulney
The best portion is from San Fran to Hearst Castle. After that take connecting highway 101, 'cause 1 goes through the endless fields - no ocean view, nothing but occasional farming equipment. The stretch from Hearst Castle to San Fran is excellent though.

thanks thats exactly what i needed