Calculating FPS

arnav

Nov 28, 2007
I've had my 8800gt for about 4days now, and i think i have resolved all my questions regarding the power and temp. Now I want to know how to calculate my FPS in a game.

Is there something that i can use and have it appear in the middle of the game and show me on the screen what my FPS is? also a program that could accurately tell me my card temperature while playing a game like crysis.

Jest3r

Jan 18, 2008
Originally posted by: arnav
how do u activate the built in meter?

Really depends on the game. I know a lot of online games have a command, like /f or /fps. That, or it could be under video settings.

arnav

Nov 28, 2007
thanks
anything good for temperature of my card and my cores--preferably some application that has been proven to be accurate.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
If you're playing a Source game, like CS:S or TF2, open the developer console and type "net_graph 3" without quotes. That will show you your ping, choke, fps and a few other things. It varies from game to game though, as has already been said. (Although with an 8800GT your FPS should be well over 60 anyway.)

FRAPS is a free download and should work over top of any game I think. To monitor temperatures use RivaTuner.

arnav

Nov 28, 2007
Does RivaTuner show the temperature in game or just logs it in a file.
Just wanted to know. either way i am going to use FRAPS and rivatuner from now on.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
It'll do either or both. You can leave it running in the background and it'll draw graphs like Task Manager.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: arnav
Just wanted to know. either way i am going to use FRAPS and rivatuner from now on.

you'd have to get out of the game [alt+tab] to see RT's temps in real time and it will also log to a graph or you could set up a 2nd LCD to monitor your computer while you are gaming. nTune will also monitor temps ... you might be able to set a program to sound a warning if a certain preset thermal threshold is exceeded or shut your rig down

FRAPs will run FPS numbers in a yellow overlay in whatever corner you wish or you can just disable it and enable logging - or both

Running FRAPs does take some performance away from your game ... although it is a pretty tiny difference. Eventually, i stopped running it ... i could tell anyway - without it - if i was dropping into the 20s. :p

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Originally posted by: apoppin
Running FRAPs does take some performance away from your game ... although it is a pretty tiny difference. Eventually, i stopped running it ... i could tell anyway - without it - if i was dropping into the 20s. :p

Yeah I decided that as long as the picture was smooth, I didn't care very much whether I had 35 or 95 FPS.