Cables for video output to 21" 2040u?

SeanTek

Nov 8, 1999
www.seantek.com
I have a Mitubishi Diamond Pro 2040u, and I want to get the highest possible quality output out of it at, say, 1600x1200 and 1920x1440 (the max resolution is 2048x1536 @ 75Hz, but I would rarely run it that high). What kind of cables should I use? I have heard that a VGA to BNC breakout connector would give _slightly_ better quality, so I was considering one of these cables from www.bettercables.com.

On a side note, I also need a video card to replace the onboard video that I am temporarily using. I am tempted to get a GeForce 2 GTS, but from what I have heard, the image quality at my high resolutions might be below par (I run a lot more 2D games/apps than 3D, so I don't mind stepping down temporarily to 1024x768 to see better 3D framerates). I am considering buying a G400 MAX or G450, and then upgrading either to a Radeon once stable drivers for Windows 2000 come out (and, if possible, they release the Radeon II), or to a GeForce 2 if image quality improves. Can anyone else suggest a good upgrade path?

tonyou

Nov 22, 1999
If you get the G400 MAX I don't see any reason to get the BNC cables. At 240MHz clock frequency, your monitor probably won't see much improvements at high resolutions with better cables.

Oops, I didn't know what I was typing earlier (better video cards definitely make a difference...

Tony

SillyBoy

Oct 10, 1999
Actually I disagree. The high resolutions and refresh rates do require better quality hardware. Case in point: Output on my ex-girlfriend's TNT2U at 1920x1440 on a Viewsonic P815 is okay, however when switched to a G400, the output is so much more clear and sharp. The colors seem (my subjective opinion only) more vibrant as well.

Get the BNC cables, but make sure they are of good quality. A bad BNC cable is worse than a good d-sub. YMMV.

-:)

SillyBoy

Oct 10, 1999
Yes!, Yes! Thank you for finding that site for me sharkeeper - I have been looking for it for at least half a year.

Seantek, the site that sharkeeper recommends is the place where I bought my crystal clear ghost free 8 ft long BNC to 15 cable. 8 feet!, you can't do that with a normal cable.

-:)