Cable Woes

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
So I recently realized a couple of things:

1) I kind of want to get a PS3 to go with my Wii (was going to cancel on PS3 after getting Wii but decided against it).

2) I noticed that my Audigy 2 ZS DOES have an optical out.

3) The Z5500 set that I still haven't opened (waiting till I move) seems to have all kinds of optical.

My plan is to go component for the Wii and Hdmi for the PS3 for video. I will get the 2 RCA to 3.5mm adaptor suggested by someone here for the Wii's audio. But what can I do about the audio for the PS3 and my sound card? I wanted to buy an optical cable but all I see is TOSLINK and SPDIF and neither looks like the port I have on my audigy. I just want to be able to connect ALL three things (PS3/Wii/PC) to my Dell 2407WFP (figuring DVI for PC, component for Wii, and HDMI for PS3 but am open to a "better" way) AND to my Z5500s simultaneously. Can anyone help me with a way to connect all three to my Z5500s?

If I do optical from Audigy 2 ZS to Z5500, which cable do I need? Neither TOSLINK nor that coax optical cable on monoprice looks like the port on the card...

HELP!!!

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
You don't need to go through the soundcard from the Wii and PS3, you can go straight to the z-5500 control pod.

Digital audio cables come in the form of digital coaxial (RCA ended) and digital optical (toslink).

Your z-5500 set has a digital optical and a digital coaxial connection. You can use a digital optical cable to connect the PS3 to the digital optical input on the z-5500s.
http://www.monoprice.com/produ...102&cp_id=10229&style=
Get a cheap "Toslink to Toslink" of the right length for you.

For the Wii, you can connect to the stereo analog connection on the side of the z-5500 control pod. The 2xRCA to mini adapter will work here.

Then connect your computer via 3 stereo 3.5mm jacks like normal and you'll be in business.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Err? I figured I'd use HDMI since the monitor and the PS3 both have this port... Will that not work?

Thanks for the advice on the audio btw! I didn't mean I was going THROUGH the sound card for the consoles; I meant I was considering optical for the sound card instead of analog but I guess your solution would be simpler.

So just to make sure, it's the TOSLINK cable that I should get for the PS3, right?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
I didn't know the 2407 had HDMI input?

Use analog from the computer.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=1940133&enterthread=y

Yeah, toslink for the audio from the PS3 to the Z-5500 control pod.

I'm not sure exactly which 2xRCA to 3.5mm stereo plug you're planning for the Wii, just just keep in mine the length of the cable you're getting so it will work for your setup. If you're going to have everything close it won't matter though.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Oh crap, I guess I remembered wrong (just looked). Hmm... good thing I know now before I went and bought the cable. Thanks for the help!

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: TemjinGold
Oh crap, I guess I remembered wrong (just looked). Hmm... good thing I know now before I went and bought the cable. Thanks for the help!

No problem. Good luck!