Cable modem problem, it only works with one jack

Heifetz

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
When I plug the cable modem to other cable jacks in our apt using exactly the same coax cables, it doesn't work. The cable light on the modem blinks periodically, but it is never solid. This happens even on a jack which we receive dtv signals. Anyone know what causes this problem?

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
This is like ONTopic. Anyways, are you using the filter splitter when you plug it into other jacks?

Lots of cable questions today, eh?

Heifetz

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm using the -8db splitter that comes with the cable modem. It doesn't work on other jacks even though I use the exact setup on the cable modem (cable, splitter). I think it only works on one jack in the apt, out of probably 8 jacks.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Heifetz
I'm using the -8db splitter that comes with the cable modem. It doesn't work on other jacks even though I use the exact setup on the cable modem (cable, splitter). I think it only works on one jack in the apt, out of probably 8 jacks.

-8db??? Egadzooks, man!

Get thee a low-loss splitter (-2.5db or so)

Heifetz

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
What does the -8db actually mean? And why should I be using a lower loss splitter? Because the -8db splitter is the one that came with the cable modem.

Heifetz

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
You're losing signal with that much loss. Enough so that you're unable to get the connection on the cable modem.

Be sure you're using RG56, too, and as short a run as you can from the splitter to the cable modem.

Oh... what is dB?

Heifetz

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
So why would I even need a filter to begin with? I tried hooking the cable modem directly to the cable jack, but it still didn't work.

Heifetz

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
So why would I even need a filter to begin with? I tried hooking the cable modem directly to the cable jack, but it still didn't work.

Heifetz

Oh...it's digital cable TV? That's maybe why, then. I was thinking analog cable.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Have a cable guy come over and take a look at your cables. The house I just bought had old cabling which wouldn't support digital cable so I had to have them rewire the whole house.

May 16, 2000
It's very common for only one jack in a home to be able to use the modem. When they come install they test and adjust the signal only at the jack you say you'll be using. The others could be too strong a signal, crowded with noise, any number of scenerio's. You can try boosters, reducers, filters and other things to make other jacks work, but unless you have the tools to read the signal levels at each jack you're going to be shooting blind. Only sure way is to make a trouble call to the cable company, but be ready to pay for it.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
No, this is for cable modem, not tv cable.

Heifetz

Right...but do you have digital cable TV service? That will run on the same line into your home, right? The filter may be to separate the digital cable signal from the cable modem signal (sort of how a satellite feed would be separated since it runs at higher frequencies).

<shrug>

If you're having problems with the cable modem directly to the main feed, I'd suggest calling the cable company.

fatkorean

Dec 17, 2001
When they did our house, they installed it so only one room could get it. He split the wire into cablemodem vs rest of the house. He put a filter on the "rest of the house" part so it would filter the internet part. You probably have the same thing also.

-fk