Cable management Nightmare

ganons

Jul 20, 2015
So Im new to PC building and have a mini ITX pretty much completed. I bought a Hybird PSU http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/248 due cable managment but things are still messy. It really comes down to the HDD/SSD being needed to mount on the bottom of the case and cable they give, daisy chain cable which is designed for disks that go in trays. Now for me to get the sata to plug in, I had to screw in the front 2 screws and leave out the back 2. Now this leaves an excess wiring that is left over, there are like 2 more sata ports free and some another connector. There is another similar daisy chain cable but has 2 female molex ports.

Anyway being the noob that I am I bought this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATA-Comb...For-HDD-DVD-/141708816787?hash=item20fe80f193 thinking I can plug in the psu and remove the daisy chain when I tried to fit I found it was wrong because the PSU takes a 5-pin pci express power cable not molex. Bought 2 lol. But then I remembered the other power cable can take molex cable and it pluggedd in and worked but then the wires are like jungle, I am yet to buy a gfx card. Now I have another idea which might be dumb but can I get a 8-pin pci express which is for the gfx card (1 port will be free) and stick the sata converter with a mod?

The options I see now are

1. Cut the stock cables so the sata cable can go in flush and no excess wires left

2. Mod the cables with adapter or cut and mod then and add the sata to molex cable

3. Try and find long hdd screws then use the stock cable leaving the unused ports

IMG_20150805_215540.jpg

IMG_20150805_215644.jpg

Can attach picture of the mess with the adapter

i7Baby

Jul 23, 2015
Plug the shortest sata power cable to the SSD and cut off the rest.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Although they don't look great, a few extra cables or a cable that is a bit too long is not going to hurt things, or greatly affect temperatures, on an otherwise well-designed cooling system. What CAN hurt it is a lot of extra connections added between a PSU and its target. In most cases, you want to avoid adapters between the power supply and its targeted component if at all possible.

Another thing to consider is that you are putting power connectors of unknown quality between quality components.

I also don't know what i7 baby meant by "cut off," but of course you wouldn't physically want to do this.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I don't think you and I have the same definition of "nightmare"

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
That SATA plug that is plugged into the SSD, the cap of it will come off. Then you can literally move it to make the cable longer or shorter, I would clip the cables unless you may at sometime in the future need more SATA plugs. You can also re add it latter...........