Cable cutter build check

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
Planning to cut the cord by new years. I just want the htpc to record OTA HD with 1080P playback and internet streaming, Netflix, Amazon ect. Not interested in server media streaming and storage at this time. Plan to use Xbox 360 for media playback in the living room. Here is what I have come up with and wonder if it will cut it in the real world.

Intel BOXDH61CRB3 H61 motherboard
Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge CPU
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Intel 330 SSD 60 Gig
Western Digital WD AV-GP WD20EURS
Fractal Design Core 1000 Micro ATX Computer Case
SeaSonic SSR-360GP 360W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS GOLD
Windows 7 Home

I already have a ATI TV Wonder 650HD with remote and IR sensor to throw in.

Question 1, will the G620 cut it for my needs or do i need to go to a I3
Question 2, is this WD green drive really that good for DVR recording or should just get any cheap 2T drive for recording.
Question 3, is there a remote that will control the HTPC from startup without the use of keyboard and mouse. My current TV wonder remote seems to have very limated functions on the pc and in media center.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
You should read thru assassins guide, the answer to all your questions are in there..also, pay to get access to this site...you will save yourself much heartache..he has step by step instructions for all the stuff you want.

but..in short

1. G620 can handle 1080p but not 3d
2. Green drives are good but IMO..get cheapest storage you can and set up back up system of some sort.
3.Yes, there are numerous options but you first need a IR support for the PC...your MB might already have it if not you need to get an external IR device..Harmony is well liked and there is a lot of support online if you need it.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Question 1, will the G620 cut it for my needs or do i need to go to a I3
Question 2, is this WD green drive really that good for DVR recording or should just get any cheap 2T drive for recording.
Question 3, is there a remote that will control the HTPC from startup without the use of keyboard and mouse. My current TV wonder remote seems to have very limated functions on the pc and in media center.

1) The G620 is actually overkill in it self. My Celeron G465 (single core with HT @ 1900MHz with HD2000) handles everything I have thrown at it. That includes blu-ray playback. Just make sure you don't multitask or something is running in the background. If you need a little more performance the Celeron G530T is a good bet...
2) Take a look at WDs AV-GP line they are specifically designed for AV streaming...
3) Don't rightly know, I use a logitech K400 keyboard to control my HTPC...

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
1) The G620 is actually overkill in it self. My Celeron G465 (single core with HT @ 1900MHz with HD2000) handles everything I have thrown at it. That includes blu-ray playback. Just make sure you don't multitask or something is running in the background. If you need a little more performance the Celeron G530T is a good bet...
2) Take a look at WDs AV-GP line they are specifically designed for AV streaming...
3) Don't rightly know, I use a logitech K400 keyboard to control my HTPC...

The AV-GP line only matters if you will be streaming 6 or more 1080p rips.