CABLE BILL HELP

Clocker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I have canceled service with mediacom since they were raising their rates in my area again for the 99th time.

I went to the local office and gave them their equipement and paid off my balance and i have the receipts.

However, i keep getting a bill from mediacom for a 150.00 even though my normal cable bill was not even close to that. Also, now they are telling me that they are gonna report this to the credit reporting agencies. WTF. I have the receipts that says zero balance and the equipment was turned in.

Is their any action i can do? Or do i just pay something i dont owe because of fear of my credit rating?

This really sucks

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Along with the receipts did they give you anything stating that your account is closed?

Either way, if they do report, that is frivilous reporting and is clearly defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

All furnishers of information must report accurately.

Tell them that if they do report it, they will be in violation of the (1) Fair Credit Reporting Act, (2) Fair Debt Billing Act, and (3) defamation of character.

Also, I would draft up an "Intent to Sue" letter. Basically, inform them of their potential violations and ask them if that $150 is worth having their @$$ handed to them in court.

Clocker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
for the persons who said go there well i did. now they are telling me on the computer my balance reflects a different amount instead of zero. companies seem like they can really screw customers when and if they want to

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Clocker
for the persons who said go there well i did. now they are telling me on the computer my balance reflects a different amount instead of zero. companies seem like they can really screw customers when and if they want to

Did you bring proof that you (dropped off/shipped back) the modem?

- M4H

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Clocker

htey can only screw (most times anyway) the lazy, stupid are people that do not care. so wich one are you?

edit: you have been told what to do. take all papers to the cable place. talk to a manager. explain that you have paid it off (make damn well you really have) and that if they put this on your credit then that you can and will sue.

if they say there is nothing to do call the corprate number and wash then repeat.