CA passes unloaded open carry ban

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The criminals would treat everyone more carefully, because their targets could have CCW and are packing heat.

This doesn't really happen in the real world. Even in places with the least amount of restrictions for law abiding citizens a criminal can (and does) reasonably assume you are unarmed simply due to the law of averages. There just aren't that many people relative to the local population that not only have a permit but are carrying at any given time.

They assume you are unarmed and act accordingly. However, if you are visibly armed they know for a fact that you are armed and they leave you the hell alone. I have witnessed first hand how open carry deters criminals from choosing you as a target. I doubt that it actually deters crime in general as the criminal simply picks another target but it does deter them from picking the visibly armed person.

If you think about it for one moment it makes perfect sense. It is well known that criminals generally prey on easy targets. As I have stated many times in this thread, your average criminal has the same will and desire to continue living as you and I do. They do not want to get shot at and whatever they might gain from you is simply not worth the risk.

For months after Katrina I didn't leave the house without my .40 unconcealed on my hip. I often had to travel into areas of the city that used to be sort of bad but were now almost deserted. Someone could shoot you in the middle of the street and it might be a week before someone other than the criminal and his buddies found your body. In a situation like that it is necessary to have the ability to defend yourself should the need arise but it is vastly superior to give the bad guys incentive to not target you in the first place.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This doesn't really happen in the real world. Even in places with the least amount of restrictions for law abiding citizens a criminal can (and does) reasonably assume you are unarmed simply due to the law of averages. There just aren't that many people relative to the local population that not only have a permit but are carrying at any given time.

They assume you are unarmed and act accordingly. However, if you are visibly armed they know for a fact that you are armed and they leave you the hell alone. I have witnessed first hand how open carry deters criminals from choosing you as a target. I doubt that it actually deters crime in general as the criminal simply picks another target but it does deter them from picking the visibly armed person.

If you think about it for one moment it makes perfect sense. It is well known that criminals generally prey on easy targets. As I have stated many times in this thread, your average criminal has the same will and desire to continue living as you and I do. They do not want to get shot at and whatever they might gain from you is simply not worth the risk.

For months after Katrina I didn't leave the house without my .40 unconcealed on my hip. I often had to travel into areas of the city that used to be sort of bad but were now almost deserted. Someone could shoot you in the middle of the street and it might be a week before someone other than the criminal and his buddies found your body. In a situation like that it is necessary to have the ability to defend yourself should the need arise but it is vastly superior to give the bad guys incentive to not target you in the first place.
Well said.