CA passes unloaded open carry ban

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Sounds prudent to have law enforcement keep tabs on a guy openly carrying a gun. For all I know, he could be a crazy fvck on his way to a shooting spree.

Because they sure as hell can't keep tabs on actual criminals carrying concealed guns in places like Oakland, CA hence the sky rocketing homicide and crime rates in that city.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
With logic like that why ban guns from court rooms or police station then?

They aren't banned from these locations because of the freak out factor. They are banned because no citizen needs to carry at these locations where there is ample security. I don't mind these locations being "gun free zones". No need to bring another gun when there are plenty in arms reach. Walking down the street, or in a grocery store, the same conditions do not apply. The police are only minutes away when seconds count in those locations.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
here's the thing:

how would anyone else know it's unloaded? and once people see a gun, you know they'd freak out (the only case where that wouldn't be is if guns became common place enough).

now, CA is still dumb, but wasn't this ban supposed to make support for CCW easier somehow?

Apparently there was a ruling a while back by a California state judge stating that may-issue CCW was allowable only because California had open carry if it's citizens felt the need to carry defensively. The NRA has repeatably said that if this ban passed they'd be litigating for shall-issue CCW based on that decision, we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Sounds prudent to have law enforcement keep tabs on a guy openly carrying a gun. For all I know, he could be a crazy fvck on his way to a shooting spree.

Lol. Show me one shooting spree where the perpetrator was carrying openly prior to the actual shooting. Ignorant feel-good legislation at its finest.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
LOL Cornholefornia... Next they will ban rubber bands because they can leave a nasty red mark. D:

Actually, I heard they're going after marshmallow pistols first. No telling what damage you could do with something that squishy!! :rolleyes:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Open carry is retarted and only useful in situations where one needs/wants attention at any costs

Im referring specifically to open carry in an urban/populated environment

Id rather not be target#1 during the quickmart robbery thank you

During disaster scenarios a civilian show of force can very well dissuade looters and help keep order. California itself saw this during the Rodney King riots when the Korea-town shop owners defended their property.

Might I also remind you that California is an earthquake state?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
They aren't banned from these locations because of the freak out factor. They are banned because no citizen needs to carry at these locations where there is ample security. I don't mind these locations being "gun free zones". No need to bring another gun when there are plenty in arms reach. Walking down the street, or in a grocery store, the same conditions do not apply. The police are only minutes away when seconds count in those locations.

That's a dangerous belief system to use in when guns should be taken away.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Most crazy fucks on their ways to shooting sprees conceal their weapons (regardless of legality) in order to make it to their destination unhindered so that they may carry out their crazy fucking shooting spree plan.

For all you know the guy living next to you could be concealing a weapon he intends to use in his crazy fucking shooting spree plan, why should the cops not keep tabs on him?

BTW, I do not understand the point of ONLY being able to open carry an unloaded weapon. I would assume that everyone open carrying would be following the law (because they are more likely to be stopped and questioned by LEO) so if I were a criminal it would be reasonable to assume that any person open carrying would be an easy target to relieve of their weapon with my illegally concealed and loaded weapon.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Open carry is retarted and only useful in situations where one needs/wants attention at any costs

Open carry has directly saved my, and many of my neighbors, possessions and potentially our lives. The best part is not a single shot was fired.

Katrina was a bitch but even the criminals value their lives. They had no desire to get into shootouts with visibly armed people when they could walk a few more blocks and fuck with unarmed people. I will grant that if it was reasonable to assume that our weapons were unloaded it probably would have turned out much differently.

I would never be in favor of preventing a person to do so but for the life of me I can't understand the point of carrying an unloaded weapon when the bad guys can reasonably know the weapon is unloaded.

techie81

Feb 11, 2008
The state is in the shiter. Brown is passing unnecessary bills like this while providing free aid to ILLEGAL aliens. What a disaster.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
What reasons did an individual have in 1800s to carry a gun? And how do they no longer apply today?

Hunting. In the 1800's there was no crime and no threat to ones being, and everyone just lived happily shooting buffalo with handguns and eating burgers.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Open carry only serves to panic an edgy herd of sheeple.

I would rather see open carry of handguns banned (and open carry of long rifles in urban areas) and concealed carry for those who can pass a basic firearms safety and accuracy test.

But, banning open-carry is nowhere near my list of priorities.

Senor_Bubbles

Banned
Oct 4, 2011

I think we know who is "retarted".:whiste:

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
You'd call 911 when you see someone walking around with a perfectly legal holstered weapon? What an idiot. Apparently you are not the only such imbecile, you have a lot of company in California.

Good to know you're fine with tossing out your second amendment rights simply because "this isn't the 1800's anymore".

For the record, I'm not a gun nut in any way and don't even own any....

In all of my life I have never seen a single person open carry. So if I saw some random asshat walking around with a pistol at his side, you bet your ass I'll be calling the police.

For the record, I don't own a gun but I plan on purchasing one for home defense soon.

What reasons did an individual have in 1800s to carry a gun? And how do they no longer apply today?

I shouldn't have to tell you why a individual had to carry a gun back then.

Maybe if you live out in bumfuck egypt, open carry is fine. Here in the city, that is WAY out of the norm. If you think there isn't a difference between now and the 1800s, go strap a unloaded pistol to your side and take a stroll through the Universal City Walk on a Friday night. See how things go for you.

Last edited:

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
who gives a shit. I'd like to know who here on this forum the ban effects? I'd be really surprised if it effected even 1 member ... If you are not effected by this, why post about it? Makes no sense...

I guess people just feel they got to bitch and moan about something.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
who gives a shit. I'd like to know who here on this forum the ban effects? I'd be really surprised if it effected even 1 member ... If you are not effected by this, why post about it? Makes no sense...

So. You're bitching and moaning about people bitching and moaning?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Lol. With that logic:

You know, I'm probably never going to need an abortion. Why do I care about abortion laws?

I'm not gay. Why should I give a fuck about gay marriage?

I don't smoke weed, why should I care if it's legal?

I'm not in the military, why should I care if our soldiers are out of shape or women not meeting physical requirements are put on the front lines?

I don't live in the middle east, why should I care about Palestinians and Israelis?

I've never suffered from it. Why should I care about the Patriot Act?

The list goes on.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Ericlp, you do realize this is how the powers that be get most of our ridiculous laws passed.

In many cases the people voting were never and would be never affected. People vote out of fear or the excise control over groups they don't see themselves in. Many vote knowing personally they won't follow the rules anyway.

It's fucked up.

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
I shouldn't have to tell you why a individual had to carry a gun back then.

Maybe if you live out in bumfuck egypt, open carry is fine. Here in the city, that is WAY out of the norm. If you think there isn't a difference between now and the 1800s, go strap a unloaded pistol to your side and take a stroll through the Universal City Walk on a Friday night. See how things go for you.

I would like you to answer the question. The reasons for carrying haven't changed, only people's delusions of security.

An no, I'm not going to strap an unloaded pistol to my side, because I'm located in one of the 42 states that have open carry. Might I also add, we haven't seen any wild west scenarios play out in any states with such a legislation. Your emotional response means nothing to me, the truth is open carry doesn't create more crime

What you fail to understand is there are plenty of occupations where open carry is needed. Process servers, repomen, animal control, bail bondsmen, etc. Does everyone in these occupations carry? No. Should they be able to? Yes.

Just because YOU don't have a reason to carry doesn't mean no one else should be able to.

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
Ericlp, you do realize this is how the powers that be get most of our ridiculous laws passed.

In many cases the people voting were never and would be never affected. People vote out of fear or the excise control over groups they don't see themselves in. Many vote knowing personally they won't follow the rules anyway.

It's fucked up.

:thumbsup:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

I live in a city. Open carry has personally saved my property and potentially my life as well as the property and lives of my neighbors. I know dozens of other people that can say the same thing.

OTOH, I truly support your right to not only not open carry but to not own a firearm at all. Bad guys might not care about their victims lives but the vast majority of them have the same desire to not die as the rest of us. They have no desire to get into a confrontation in which they know that the other side is armed and reasonably believe that person will use it in his defense. This is especially true when there is a plethora of unarmed people for them to target instead.

Still, I would never open carry a weapon that the bad guys know is unloaded. Hell, I would never carry an unloaded weapon period.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
That's a dangerous belief system to use in when guns should be taken away.

Not sure how this is dangerous at all. Honestly, if you think you need your own weapon at a police station or court house, you also need your head examined. I am all for open carry/conceal carry, I carry one way or the other daily. But if you think that you aren't secure enough in a police station or court house, then you are truly paranoid. If someone decides to come in to inflict bodily harm in either location, your one gun is not going to matter one fucking bit when there are literally dozens of other armed, trained individuals. To think otherwise is what is dangerous.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Not sure how this is dangerous at all. Honestly, if you think you need your own weapon at a police station or court house, you also need your head examined. I am all for open carry/conceal carry, I carry one way or the other daily. But if you think that you aren't secure enough in a police station or court house, then you are truly paranoid. If someone decides to come in to inflict bodily harm in either location, your one gun is not going to matter one fucking bit when there are literally dozens of other armed, trained individuals. To think otherwise is what is dangerous.

If everything worked like a fairy tale there would never be coups either. The police should have no fear of me carrying a weapon anymore than I do of them.

It's clear you have a fear though.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
If everything worked like a fairy tale there would never be coups either. The police should have no fear of me carrying a weapon anymore than I do of them.

It's clear you have a fear though.

Fairy tale? I live in the real world man, where a police station is probably one of the safest places from someone with hostile intent. Why do you think that its the police's fear of you carrying your gun that makes these places banned? Its not. Police don't fear law abiding citizens carrying their guns anywhere. The police don't want your weapon ending up in someone else's hands. Your weapon can become someone else's weapon very easily. And in a location that most definitely has felons and criminals in the area, they want to eliminate one more weapon from the equation. It has nothing to do with fear and everything to due with keeping the tactical situation in their favor.

Wise up man. You are the one living in your fairy tale.