C7 Archer (version 2) frustration

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I spent last night trying to implement this router as my new central wireless router (the one directly connected to the ISP router - bonded DSL, by the way).

The WAN picks up my DSL router as Dynamic IP and makes the connection. I have the C7 configured to be my internal network DNS, different than the ISP's 192.168.xxx.xxx. Everything looks exactly like the previous router, the ASUS RT-N56U.

But now, I cannot access any web pages. I can ping ip addresses and domain names resolve but the browsers don't work at all.

Any suggestions?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am confused.why are you setting the router as your dns? Pretty sure C7 doesnt function as dns server. are your machines on static ip?

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Sorry, I meant DHCP. I have my internal network connected to the ISP router through this device.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is probably due to your security software on your PC. You need to let it "know" that the new router / MAC address is "safe" or "LAN". Otherwise, it may be blocking your browsing due to firewalling you off.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm guessing the DSL router and the C7 are giving out the same IP ranges in DHCP

Configure C7 as WAP.

Google "router as WAP"

To help confirm, post the output of "ipconfig" while connected to c7

Then connect directly to DSL device and post "ipconfig" output also.

I know you stated they're not, but humor us.

And I would still configuration as a WAP, you dont need that double NAT nonsense.

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
I would say, start with basic troubleshooting. Your DSL connects to WAN port in Router. Hard line to the router and see if that works to get Ping from FQDN. If you get return from ping, try another device like an iphone or something...If you get ping from FQDN, then you are resolving DNS correctly. If you aren't getting pages, I would assume that you are passing the requests properly, but the content is getting blocked somewhere. Maybe shut off the Firewall on the router and see if that fixes it. Maybe refresh the firmware on the router, reload it and do the 30-30-30 install. You could move to DD-WRT or some other firmware. I use the openwrt variant Gargoyle because of it's network monitoring features and nice GUI. Maybe try connecting the computer directly to the DSL modem and see if you get page returns. Also make sure that you are using the default Frame size and not jumboframe or something else. reset router to factory defaults.