C2Q GFX update making sense for the next half year?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 25, 2011
If you are planning to upgrade your CPU early in the lifespan of the GPU, I wouldn't worry about the current CPU bottlenecking it at all.
This.

You bought a high end GPU in, like, 2008, and it lasted you a looong time.

Buy another high end GPU and keep it for a while too. Don't half-measure this - you'll just end up spending more in the long run on just-a-little-bit-more upgrades.

If you upgrade your CPU in six months and are GPU-bottlenecked at 1440p, you're still better off than you were today.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I'd recommend a used 680 or something in that level of performance, save money and go used. Can prolly get that for $180ish CDN.

Video card speed increases are fast paced.. I got 980 recently and now there's a card far faster for a similar price. A year from now 980 ti will have something a good deal faster at the same price.

I wouldn't recommend buying a high end GPU, if you made it this far on an 8800 I think a used card that was high end from 2012 will do the job for a while to come... If you're on 1080p then 680 should be enough for almost everything too.

Also if you aren't overclocking I'd recommend going for it. I got a q9550 that was o/c to 4.25 ghz for about 7 years, until I turned o/c off. It didn't degrade, I just turned it down since I just want that pc to last forever at this point.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=47089 guide there if needed.

Last edited: