C2D only 1 core showing in task mgr.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
hey guys, only 1 of my cores is showing in cpuz and task manager. its an overclocked 4300

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: jaredpace
hey guys, only 1 of my cores is showing in cpuz and task manager. its an overclocked 4300

Did you check to see if you could see both cores in task manager while running stock settings?

If not then try the following,

1. Open task manager
2. Click on the performance tab.
3. Click on View
4. Click ?CPU History?
5. Select ?One graph per CPU?

You should now be able to see two performance graphs, one per core.

If you don?t have this option and you can?t see the extra core, then it?s quite possible that the ?multiprocessor kernel? (HAL) hasn?t been loaded. I assume this was a fresh install of windows, or did you just upgrade the proc from a single core socket 775 CPU?

If this is the case, I can give you advice on how to do update the HAL from uniprocessor to multiprocessor. You can simply check this by opening 'Device Manager' and checking under the 'Computer' expansion list to see if it lists the following HAL ?ACPI multiprocessor PC?. Also check under the 'Processors' expansion list to see if you can see two processors being displayed.

Have you also checked to make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed for multi processor support?

P.S Post your hardware specs, this will make things easier instead of just guessing your hardware spec.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
wow, okay this is the most helpful response ever. thank you.

here goes...

If not then try the following,

1. Open task manager
2. Click on the performance tab.
3. Click on View
4. Click ?CPU History?
5. Select ?One graph per CPU?

- with this done, i can see the option, select it, but it still only shows 1 core.

as a fresh install of windows, or did you just upgrade the proc from a single core socket 775 CPU?

well it was not a fresh install, but im about to do it

You can simply check this by opening 'Device Manager' and checking under the 'Computer' expansion list to see if it lists the following kernal ?ACPI multiprocessor PC?. Also check under the 'Processors' expansion list to see if you can see two processors being displayed.

well i did this, i see in device manager under computer.....advanced configuration and power interface, apci

but in the processors section of device manager, i do see two core 2 duo 4300's @ 1.8ghz

ave you also checked to make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed for multi processor support?

yes it is the latest bios for the mb, and the via hyperions for the nb/sb

did i give away the specs yet??!?!?!?!?

well, its a core2duo e4300 allendale 2mb cache from 1.8ghz to 2.7ghz
on a asrock dual-vsta mb with bios 2.4 from 200mhz fsb to 300mhz fsb stable
using cas2 pc2700 ddr ram 333mhz 2x512mb at 181.9mhz in the dimm socket thingy
with an agp8x 9800pro overclocked about 12 % mem/gpu

its smokin fast and cost me like 200 bucks.

ohh and my superpi 1mb is 24 seconds
and speedfan reports my temps as 31/34

and my HDD2 is at 183deg celcius for some reason...according to speedfan LOL!

anyway hope that helps and thanks for the response.

VERY helpful!

jared

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
The easiest thing you can do which will eliminate any potential issues in the future, is to go ahead and carry out a fresh install of windows. This is usually recommended when upgrading to a dual core.