C2D 7300+ Gigabyte UD3P wont overclock ?!

SuperflyDK

Jan 16, 2009
First post, so hello all and thanks for reading,

Just bought a new system consisting of the following.

CPU: Intel C2D 7300+ 2.66GHz 3MB L3
Board: Gigabyte Ultra Durable UD3P (P45, should be a nice board and seems like it)
RAM: Mushkin 2x2GB Xp2-PC8500 (996599) rated at 2.1V and 5-5-5-15
PSU: Seasonic S12II 430W
Cooling: Well vented case with Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7
HD: Seagate 320 GB + Seagate 200 GB + Seagate FreeAgent 500 GB USB

Installed Programs:
Gigabyte EasyTune 6
OCCT
SuperPI
CPU-Z

Previous overclocking experiences:
Both AMD:
Thunderbird 1000@1333 on ASUS Via KT133A board.
Athlon643200+ and ASUS A8N-SLI (board bought the minute it hit the market unfortunately = not a lot of overclocking success, but nice system anyway)

Experiences:
I only tried one time to use EasyTune to overclock in Win, it locked up. Now I can just change the settings sometimes but to no difference.

Now overclocking through the BIOS, I can change the FSB, so the BIOS says for instance 3,33GHz (should be possible). Then I save to BIOS and exits, the systems c o m p l e t e l y powers off and restarts (motherboard overclocking protection?). It is registered in the BIOS, but nothing has changed when looking in Windows. Still at 2.66 GHz.
I tried clocking the RAM all the way down and I tried boosting the RAM from the motherboard defaulting 1,8V to 2,0V. The system is unaffected by these chages. Allthough the system is slower when the RAM is clocked way down, and it also shows in EasyTune and CPU-Z.

What can I be doing wrong, and what can I do to change this?

Cool regards,
Jes from Denmark
PS: You are welcome to bid in with what kind of overclock I should theoretically have a chance of seeing. : )

conlan

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Welcome to AT Forums.

Please read this...overclocking guide, even us old-time overclockers reference it.

I wouldn't jump from 2.66 straight on up to 3.33, take it slow, try small increases, and use CPU-ID to verify results.

SuperflyDK

Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for your reply Conlan.

I had a good look at that tremendous guide yesterday. Lots of good writing, but in simpler terms, I really already know the basics.
I have tried to go up from 2.66GHz in 10 MHz increments (found that in another internet OCguide). But really, even the first + 10MHz is not happening. I even tried clocking down, and that is not happening either.

Does it have something to do with overclocking protection on the motherboard (where it resets the settings if you clock too high). It seems like that is what is happening when I save to BIOS and exits, the PC restarts (powers all the way down before it starts up again, my prior ASUS boards did not do this when overclocking or changing settings in the BIOS).
The result is strange though-> The BIOS show the changed CPU MHz and FSB, but in Windows (CPU-ID, OCCT and also Gigabyte EasyTune show that I am still running standard values. I am running standard speeds, because nothing seems faster even at supposedly (in BIOS) running at 3.33 GHz)

Something else must be happening.

Cool regards,
Jes

RaptureMe

Jan 18, 2007
I know why you cant overclock it has to do with power saving features so you need to turn off Eist and all the other power saving features via bios.
Then bump up your cpu voltage to 1.3v and set FSB to 333.
Then go to your Memory deviders and set it to option 2.
Next go to fan options and turn off fan control so the heatsink stays nice and cool.
Now just click save and exit bios.
Should work great as those were my settings when I had that setup.
Check back to let me know how it works for ok..

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Don't just randomly bump your cpu voltage, it may be perfectly stable with stock volts at the speed you want.

First, make sure you have the latest BIOS available for your motherboard.
Unplug the system & reset the BIOS (either with jumper or pull battery).
On first boot, go into BIOS and select "Load optimized settings" from the last menu.
Save & reboot.
Next try a mild OC - maybe 280fsb. Make sure your memory doesn't go out-of-spec with this OC (adjust multiplier if you need to keep it below its rated speed).

EvilBob

Jun 25, 2008
if i recall, when you save bios changes to that gigabyte board, it does seem to do a power cycle reboot, not a quick reboot, so i think that part of your post is normal.

To pick up on a point that RaptureMe made - if the powersaving features on that gigabyte board are on, CPU-Z will not report your OC speed unless your processor is engaged. In other words, run something that gets your processor cooking (orthos, pi, etc) - the power saving software will disable, and your processor will shift up to it's set speed.

i have an e8600 on a ep45-ud3r with a modest oc (fsb 400, 4 ghz). without the processor working, the powersaving software routinely drops the mulitplier to 6, so CPU-Z reports 400x6=2.4 ghz. when i startup orthos, i see it pop back up to 4 ghz. note that even with the powersaving software engaged, i still see the 400 fsb - the processor downshifts via multiplier reduction - if you're not seeing your BIOS fsb changes in windows (regardless of multiplier) i'm wondering if you have some other software running when you boot windows that alters the settings (like easytune - i didn't install that, i did my changes in the bios - does that override bios settings?).

(as an aside, i will say that i love the powersaving software - with my fans mobo controlled, i only ever hear them when the processor is really cooking and temps are approaching 50C (rare, even in games). the rest of the time (surfing, etc), the system downshifts, runs cool, and is not audible over the other ambient noise in the room.)