Question C:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt Error. Couldnt Startup Windows

kumar89

Dec 12, 2020
Hi,

My PC was working perfectly fine, but yesterday kids switch off the power supply and abruptly switched off the system. From then I keep on getting Automatic repair and diagnosing pc while starting and end up in the blue screen. I have tried all tricks on the internet. Majority of it showing by accessing the command prompt, but my pc didn't showing any administrator accounts to access it. Kindly help plz. Much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Operating system is WINDOWS 10

Attachments

• IMG_20201210_193816.jpg
    IMG_20201210_193816.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 5

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, that seems to reference SRT, which if I'm not mistaken, is Intel's Smart Response Technology, which is their SSD cache / HDD accelerator technology.

Is this an OEM pre-built rig, by any chance? I haven't seen too many custom-built rigs that actually used SRT, most custom rigs just put in a big enough SSD and slap the OS proper on it. OEM rigs tend to still come with HDDs, and some of them have a small SSD, or more likely, a 16GB Optane Memory device installed in an M.2 NVMe slot, to cache the HDD.

This sounds like the boot info on the M.2 NVMe is corrupted.

Edit: I could be way off-base about all of this, it's mostly my semi-informed speculation. I've never actually run across that error before. Perhaps someone else will have more concrete solutions.

Even if my speculation is right regarding the cause, I don't have any easy fixes for your issue, other than re-formatting your PC, involving re-installing Windows.

kumar89

Dec 12, 2020
Hmm, that seems to reference SRT, which if I'm not mistaken, is Intel's Smart Response Technology, which is their SSD cache / HDD accelerator technology.

Is this an OEM pre-built rig, by any chance? I haven't seen too many custom-built rigs that actually used SRT, most custom rigs just put in a big enough SSD and slap the OS proper on it. OEM rigs tend to still come with HDDs, and some of them have a small SSD, or more likely, a 16GB Optane Memory device installed in an M.2 NVMe slot, to cache the HDD.

This sounds like the boot info on the M.2 NVMe is corrupted.

Edit: I could be way off-base about all of this, it's mostly my semi-informed speculation. I've never actually run across that error before. Perhaps someone else will have more concrete solutions.

Even if my speculation is right regarding the cause, I don't have any easy fixes for your issue, other than re-formatting your PC, involving re-installing Windows.
Hi,
This is a customized PC. and I have no idea about SSDs and other technical stuff on it. Is there any way to access the command prompt without an administrator? Because no account is showing on the screen.
Thanks

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You are correct, I believe that accessing the Recovery Console prompt requires an Administrator account... though I've never seen a system without any of them, that doesn't make much sense.

I would consider some form of data-recovery, and a re-format / re-install.

If this is a custom PC, did you build it? And if not, can you contact the builder, and find out what hardware is in your PC? Do you have a detailed invoice, that breaks down the parts installed?

kumar89

Dec 12, 2020
You are correct, I believe that accessing the Recovery Console prompt requires an Administrator account... though I've never seen a system without any of them, that doesn't make much sense.

I would consider some form of data-recovery, and a re-format / re-install.

If this is a custom PC, did you build it? And if not, can you contact the builder, and find out what hardware is in your PC? Do you have a detailed invoice, that breaks down the parts installed?
oh no.... I dont have the invoice or details. Its 4 year old.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
srttrail.txt has nothing to do with Intel anything.

It's the file that gets created as a log of the automatic repair findings. Use the on-screen options, get a command prompt up and get notepad to open that file, there is probably a clue as to what went wrong.

In command prompt:

notepad C:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt

press return, notepad will open and show you the contents of that file. Post the contents here if you need help with it.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

kumar89

Dec 12, 2020
srttrail.txt has nothing to do with Intel anything.

It's the file that gets created as a log of the automatic repair findings. Use the on-screen options, get a command prompt up and get notepad to open that file, there is probably a clue as to what went wrong.

In command prompt:

notepad C:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt

press return, notepad will open and show you the contents of that file. Post the contents here if you need help with it.
I couldn't access the command prompt. That's the problem. it needs administrator access.

Attachments

• IMG_20201212_213937.jpg
    IMG_20201212_213937.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201212_213944.jpg
    IMG_20201212_213944.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 5

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My guess is something bad happened to the security accounts database. If the OP can pull the hard drive and connect it say via USB to another PC, back up any necessary user data, read off srttrail.txt, check the SMART stats, open the system log, run a full chkdsk, then maybe some answers might be had.

Alternatively, boot from Windows setup media, Shift+F10 for command prompt, find and read that file, backup any personal data with robocopy to external media? User permissions are for wimps when one can boot from setup media :)

Alternatively #2, though this probably won't work - try Shift+F10 on the screen such as the srttrail.txt message screen. It would be pretty lame if it did work :)

Reactions: VirtualLarry