C-SPAN 4:00pm EST 11/06

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: piasabird
In the mean time where is the next budget???
You mean: Congress should do something useful for the country?

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

How can you insinuate that the budget they pass will be useful? They don't follow the freaking things anyway.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

A month late and no where near done.

Thankfully IIRC after November 15, only Appropriations bills will be considered on the floor.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: NaughtyGeek
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

How can you insinuate that the budget they pass will be useful? They don't follow the freaking things anyway.

They follow it, it's just rarely balanced.

It would be nice to have a funded government. Right now the government is running on continuing resolutions.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Nor did the Republican rubber stamp congress from 2000-2006 ever get a budget out on time. What many of us are waiting for is for the democrats to use the power of the Purse
and quit funding GWB delusions and military boondoggles.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Here is my view. The democraps aren't starting more BS wars, on BS "intelligence", or lying to the people. Some are attempting to impeach that snake Cheney.

They are already 10x more trustworthy than the administration, for those facts alone.

Do I like them? No, hell no. But I don't hate them, like I do with the wannabe-despot and his fan-club.

Impeach away, please.

*applause*

*hands manowar a frosty :beer:*

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Wreckem's got it right.

And yea, the Dems have big majority in the House. This was badly badly bungled and it's Pelosi's fault.

Fern

Originally posted by: Wreckem
Its funny, the Dems wanted to table it. Which means while its going the the Judiciary Committee it wont ever see the light of day again.

This should stop all this impeachment stuff. The dems overwhelmingly voted to table it, while the republicans voted overwhelmingly to debate it.

The Democrats called the called for ordering the previous motion which allowed the Dems who voted to debate, change their vote, and vote for ordering the previous motion, which essentially tabled the bill and prevented debate. Thus the voted again to refer it to committee where it will die.

Lets see, the democrats voted to table it. Then when lost, used paralimentary procedure to basically get a revote, where they won. Then they refered it to committee. Do you honestly think the Judiciary Committee is going to take action?

Highly unlikely.

I have to say Speaker Pelosi is doing a lousey job of managing the House. That was an embarassment for the Dems to lose a vote like that then have to use a paralimentary procedure to not have debate. She should have just used her power to refer it Committee without it ever hitting the floor for any type of vote.

1000s of bills go to committee every year. 5% ever make it out in any shape or form.

The Republicans didnt block it, the dems just dont want to do anything in the open. The democrats were going to table the bill. And in fact did after ordering the previous question.

The fact of the matter is, after IIRC November 15, nothing will come to the House floor except appropriation bills. There is very little time to move articles of impeachment.

I mean, Congress is supposed to recess Dec 15, come back Jan 15. They take a week(or is it two) for Easter/Spring break. Then since its an election year they are in Recess Oct, Nov, and Dec of '08, in addition to their month off during August.

This bill is going no where, they dont have time for it.

Not with trying to get fiscal year 2008 appropriation bills done before the end of this year. As well as new a new Farm bill, a new SCHIP bill, and a new Energy Bill in the early part of next year. Then they have to get fiscal year 2009 appropriation bills done by July 31.

And quit saying the republicans are blocking stuff.

When it comes to the House, the Dems can do absolutely anything they want, and the Republicans have very little power to do anything. Infact the only power the minority party in the House has is in committee.

I have to agree with whoever said Pelosi is a piss poor leader in another thread. She hasn't done the best at leading the Dems in the house. The majority party SHOULD NEVER be defeated on a roll call vote. Now not getting a veto override is one thing, but losing a regular majority roll call vote is inexcusable. It just shouldnt happen, and its happened on numerous ocassions during this first year of the 110th Congress.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Deudalus
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Kucinich is gunning for Cheney, however treason is not just a phrase. It has a specific legal meaning AND requirements to make it stick. The Dems had to get rid of it because it was bound to be an embarrassment as written. The Reps knew this and that's why they wanted to force it to a debate, making the Dems look like idiots. You just can't impeachment because you think you know something, or you're mightily pissed. You have to have something with significant legal "meat" to get anywhere. Wisely the Dems didn't bite, and all that was had was a good laugh at Kucinich's expense.

QFT

Its just little man and little candidate syndrome from Kucinich, he's like 5'2 I can't really blame him.

But at least he's seen UFO's.

and he's a leprechaun

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Nor did the Republican rubber stamp congress from 2000-2006 ever get a budget out on time. What many of us are waiting for is for the democrats to use the power of the Purse

Theres a huge difference between not getting all the appropriation bills done and having a couple late, and having all the bills late.

As for using the power of the purse, again not gonna happen.

Both trying to impeach Cheney and using the power of the purse will help the GOP in 2008. Why? Like I said the Democratic majority relies on its moderate members who serve in fairly conservative districts on paper.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Lets see if I can understand the Wreckem position of ---Both trying to impeach Cheney and using the power of the purse will help the GOP in 2008. Why? Like I said the Democratic majority relies on its moderate members who serve in fairly conservative districts on paper.

First you gloat that the democrats can't impeach Cheney and does not have the guts to use the power of the purse to basically stop the Republican war machine.

Then you note that if the democrats do either it will benefit the Republicans in the election of 11/08.

Then you fail to acknowledge that Pelosi and Reid are therefore taking the wiser course that will benefit the democrats and doom the Republicans come 11/08 because they won't try to prematurely try to impeach Cheney.

Sound like to me Wreckem, by your reasoning, the GOP is doomed as they scorched earth policy retreat right into the scrap bin of history while bungling foreign and domestic policy every step of the way.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004

Theres a huge difference between not getting all the appropriation bills done and having a couple late, and having all the bills late.

As for using the power of the purse, again not gonna happen.

Both trying to impeach Cheney and using the power of the purse will help the GOP in 2008. Why? Like I said the Democratic majority relies on its moderate members who serve in fairly conservative districts on paper.

So what do you propose they do? Just keep rubber stamping and letting more and more innocent people die at the hands of a few psychopaths running the country? I don't care if it fucking hurts them in 08-- they were elected to stick it to Bush and his cronies and they've so far let us down.

And NEWS FLASH-- every government since the history of government itself tends to stall when there are two (radically) different ideologies in the two branches responsible for policy. Any time anything passes Congress it ends up getting vetoed by the idiot and nothing gets done. So don't blame this Congress when it's time to debate next year's budget-- Bush is going to ask for another blank check for his war of lies, the dems aren't going to give him one, so he's going to veto everything that comes across his desk until he gets what he wants.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
There have been over 1000 roll call votes in the House and only 64 pieces of legislation passed. 45 of them were naming of Post Offices...

Yeah its all Bush's fault...

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Lets see if I can understand the Wreckem position of ---Both trying to impeach Cheney and using the power of the purse will help the GOP in 2008. Why? Like I said the Democratic majority relies on its moderate members who serve in fairly conservative districts on paper.

First you gloat that the democrats can't impeach Cheney and does not have the guts to use the power of the purse to basically stop the Republican war machine.

Then you note that if the democrats do either it will benefit the Republicans in the election of 11/08.

Then you fail to acknowledge that Pelosi and Reid are therefore taking the wiser course that will benefit the democrats and doom the Republicans come 11/08 because they won't try to prematurely try to impeach Cheney.

Sound like to me Wreckem, by your reasoning, the GOP is doomed as they scorched earth policy retreat right into the scrap bin of history while bungling foreign and domestic policy every step of the way.

Im on record on this very forum stating that the GOP will lose 2-3 Senate Seats and 15 House Seats.

That is unless the Dems shoot themselves in the foot, which has been known to happen.

Yes Pelosi is trying to do the smart thing politically at the expense of support from there far left. She and every sane person realizes the democratic majority is pieced together with a large number of moderate democrats that cannot go home and say the voted forcertain things the far left wants with out suffering the consequences.

Pelosi has shown her ineptness at being Speaker. The majority party should NEVER lose this many floor votes. In fact they should never lose a vote. Her managing of legislation is piss poor at best. And apparently she is also a control freak dicatating to Commitee Chairmen on how they should handle certain bills.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Republicans wanted to force an open debate on the impeachment to embarrass Democrats and voted overwhelmingly not to table the resolution. It seems everyone now has their panties in a wadd as to whether there will be a one hour debate on the resolution prior to it being referred to the Judiciary Committee.

I don't understand why being responsible for initiating a congressional debate about whether or not to impeach the worst President in American history or his Vice-Presidential lackey for that matter would be embarrassing for the Democrats. It's not as though the presidential approval ratings are at record highs.