Bye Bye Electronic Voting.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Sinsear
and you wonder why they won't support voter identification....i voted today and all it took was a signature next to my name. The rest of my family is on vacation in vegas; would have been very easy for me to send someone else in and have them sign on the lines next to my father, brother, etc.

Yep, that's exactly how it works here. Nothing required other than a scrawl next to a name in a book. It's frightening, to be honest.

It's ridiculous. No positive control over who is voting. All you need to know is where they live, their name, and then place a signature next to the name. Very exploitable.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
and you wonder why they won't support voter identification....i voted today and all it took was a signature next to my name. The rest of my family is on vacation in vegas; would have been very easy for me to send someone else in and have them sign on the lines next to my father, brother, etc.

Yep, that's exactly how it works here. Nothing required other than a scrawl next to a name in a book. It's frightening, to be honest.

It's ridiculous. No positive control over who is voting. All you need to know is where they live, their name, and then place a signature next to the name. Very exploitable.

Yep, Blockbuster is more stringent on identifying yourself than our voting system is. That is a larger problem than the voting machines.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
Yep, Blockbuster is more stringent on identifying yourself than our voting system is. That is a larger problem than the voting machines.

I would say they're both big problems. The machines should all work, properly. But we've got to know who is voting and that they are legally allowed to vote.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Queasy

I would say they're both big problems. The machines should all work, properly. But we've got to know who is voting and that they are legally allowed to vote.

QFT :thumbsup:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dyna
Originally posted by: maddogchen
i don't get it, how hard can it be? you check in, they verify your identity, they give you a card to operate the machine. it takes your votes, it should print out two copies, you check the hard copies with what it says you selected. you accept it. you put one of the hard copies into a ballot box where they can do paper checking if necessary. you take home the other hard copy.

Its not difficult. I'm sure the engineer(s) and/or programmer(s) that designed the electronic voting machines are screaming, "idiots!"

Yep, I stated back then that I could easily program something that does what is needed and would be "hack proof" because it would have double verification(on screen plus hard copies).

Sheesh, it's not really that tough and I could do it for 1/3 the cost I bet.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Just voted in local elections last night.

Yup, no ID needed at all. Just a signature.

But our electronic voting machines DO have a paper trail.
I talked to the poll workers/volunteers and checked out the paper print out done for each vote.

Made sure my vote was correctly recorded/printed.

Fern