BX100 vs. 850 Evo for laptop?

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
I just bought a Lenovo X240 for photo editing (Lightroom), e-mail/browsing, and Office. It was an outlet model with only an i3 Haswell CPU, but at least the RAM and HDD are replaceable.

I've decided to get an 500GB SSD and narrowed it down to either a Crucial BX100 or Samsung 850 Evo. The Evo on sale is actually cheaper at the moment ($150 vs. ~$178). Looking at Anandtech's reviews, it looks like the BX100 is better at power consumption (especially under torture testing) but the Evo has better performance. OTOH Samsung seems to have some notoriety with their TLC NAND. So the pros I've gleaned for both are:

BX100:
Better power consumption
Possibly more reliable?

850 Evo:
Faster performance
Cheaper at the moment

My question is, in practical use will the power consumption/performance/reliability differences be of any significance? Should I just go with the cheaper Evo? Thanks!

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
You won't notice a difference in performance in real-life. Get the 850 EVO, but if you are not in a rush, prices will continue to sink. 480GB was available at $140 late last year and already the newest 850 EVO is $150.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Any SSD is going to rejuvenate a laptop's performance so I would go with the BX100 for the reasons you cited. You are not likely to notice the performance enhancements of the Evo over it but you will notice those extra minutes of charge or enjoy not having to worry about firmware updates or bugs fubaring your data.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Buy the cheaper model, invest the rest of money to max out the RAM on your unit. DDR3 prices are falling and lots of memory will certainly benefit you a lot when editing photos.(that is, unelss you are already above 8GB)

Alternatively buy the other drive, then buy more RAM :)

Don't upgrade firmware on any SSD, no matter if Samsung, Crucial, Intel, NASA, unless you have backups and firmware has been out for a while.

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
BX100:
Better power consumption
Possibly more reliable?

850 Evo:
Faster performance
Cheaper at the moment

My question is, in practical use will the power consumption/performance/reliability differences be of any significance? Should I just go with the cheaper Evo? Thanks!
Go for the 850 EVO!
Samsung screwed up TLC for not being that consistent as far as read performance is concerned. Samsung sold a crap load of TLC. Samsung's TLC performance consistency and RMA process aside, people never questioned their reliability. 850 evo cheaper than the bx100 it's a no brainer if you ask me.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
Real world performance won't be different enough to get one over the other - just get the cheaper one. I have a couple Samsung SSDs and a couple Crucial SSDs (and Intel, and G.Skill, and Western Digital, etc.) and beyond the initial shock of upgrading from a HDD, SSD to SSD upgrades don't ever feel as special.

NVME probably changes all that, but I haven't experienced it.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
i'm running the Samsung 850 EVO mSATA_256gb right now, and I've never had an mSata this fast. for whatever damn reason, the SATA controller on my thinkpad board really likes the 850 Evo^

Reactions: Jungstar

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Congrats for narrowing it down to the same two choices I did for my new laptop a few months ago.

Performance is so close as to be a non issue.

For me it came down to MLC vs. TLC NAND. I wanted MLC so I went with the BX100.

Jungstar

Dec 13, 2016
i'm running the Samsung 850 EVO mSATA_256gb right now, and I've never had an mSata this fast. for whatever damn reason, the SATA controller on my thinkpad board really likes the 850 Evo^
Can i ask what laptop you have?

Jungstar

Dec 13, 2016
If you read the OP, you will see it in the first sentence (unless you are a spambot.)
I looked around... In his profile and everywhere. I don't see it. Sorry for the newbie question, but what is an "OP"? What is the thinkpad?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I looked around... In his profile and everywhere. I don't see it. Sorry for the newbie question, but what is an "OP"? What is the thinkpad?

Smelling spammy to me as well, corkeyg.

Generally when people go into a post to ask questions, they start with the Original Post and read it.

As far as "What is the thinkpad", www.google.com

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
OK - your response is a good sign. :) OP stands for Original Post or Poster. Go to the very first message that starts the thread, and the very first sentence of the Thread states what specific Lenovo model the query refers to. Have at it! :)

Reactions: Jungstar

Jungstar

Dec 13, 2016
OK - your response is a good sign. :) OP stands for Original Post or Poster. Go to the very first message that starts the thread, and the very first sentence of the Thread states what specific Lenovo model the query refers to. Have at it! :)

Thanks. I see the X240 in the "OP" :) That said, from fire400's post, he is just referring to a Thinkpad and his fast mSATA, it does not say "I have the same machine". Also, he says he has an mSATA connection. Since the X240 has an M.2 (2242) connection (there is no 850 EVO in this size) he must have another Thinkpad. I'm curious what that is.

Smelling spammy to me as well, corkeyg.

Generally when people go into a post to ask questions, they start with the Original Post and read it.

As far as "What is the thinkpad", www.google.com

I'm sure you can do better than this > https://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+the+thinkpad :)