Buzzy engine at redline

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I have a 2003 I4 accord. I've been noticing more lately that the engine is really buzzy to the point where it's like something is loose somewhere in the engine compartment. The thing is, it only happens at the last 500 rpms before redline.

The car still has a bit of warranty left, but i dunno if i should bother taking it back to get looked at. I mean, I'd have to say, yeah the car, when you drive like you're nuts, the engine starts buzzing badly. They might say I'm abusing the car, or they'll hammer it a couple times to see for themselves.

I don't think it's a really serious issue or else the motor would have gernaded by now. It's been happening for a while, i just need to decide if I should get it looked at while there is still warranty. It seemed to start after I switched to mobil 1. Oh yeah, I've driven many 4 bangers my whole life so this is not just some crappy buzzy engine that comes like that. :p

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Pro Racer Jeff Gordon
I have a 2003 I4 accord. I've been noticing more lately that the engine is really buzzy to the point where it's like something is loose somewhere in the engine compartment. The thing is, it only happens at the last 500 rpms before redline.

The car still has a bit of warranty left, but i dunno if i should bother taking it back to get looked at. I mean, I'd have to say, yeah the car, when you drive like you're nuts, the engine starts buzzing badly. They might say I'm abusing the car, or they'll hammer it a couple times to see for themselves.

I don't think it's a really serious issue or else the motor would have gernaded by now. It's been happening for a while, i just need to decide if I should get it looked at while there is still warranty. It seemed to start after I switched to mobil 1. Oh yeah, I've driven many 4 bangers my whole life so this is not just some crappy buzzy engine that comes like that. :p
Stop racing the Honda family sedan... problem solved!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
So if it started when you switched to Mobil 1, then switch away from Mobil 1. I wouldn't be surprised if it fixed this issue, as it seems to me the noise is probably valves "floating" at high revs. And contrary to internet myth, Mobil 1 is not the best engine oil there is. Amsoil and Valvoline FullSyn 10w30 are both superior. I would recommend either, and use the Valvoline in all my cars.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
Originally posted by: Pro Recer Jeff Gordon

lol @ the "fixed" quote

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: OS

Maybe the real question is why are you revving the engine that high? like buying gas?

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
Originally posted by: Pro Recer Jeff Gordon

lol @ the "fixed" quote

roflmao.

i didn't notice it until you mentioned it hahhaha.

anyways, ya just take it in i guess. If it'll give you peace of mind, take it in. I don't know anything about cars, so if anything at all is wrong, or i feel is wrong and i'm still under warranty, i'd take it in.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
So if it started when you switched to Mobil 1, then switch away from Mobil 1. I wouldn't be surprised if it fixed this issue, as it seems to me the noise is probably valves "floating" at high revs. And contrary to internet myth, Mobil 1 is not the best engine oil there is. Amsoil and Valvoline FullSyn 10w30 are both superior. I would recommend either, and use the Valvoline in all my cars.

Best friends dadd owned an auto shop. Oil is oil. brand loyalty is for the weak minded.

Quote from exec at one of worlds largest advertising firms (friend of family):
It's kinda like cat food. It tells more about the owner than anything else as all cat food carries the same nutrients and as long as they eat it, it's palletable.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
man, why is this about my driving. I had this problem for like 20K miles so I must not redline it very often for me to live with it that long. I just need to decide if it's worthwhile to have looked at or not.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: I'm a Poser 2004
Best friends dadd owned an auto shop. Oil is oil. brand loyalty is for the weak minded.
Your best friend's "dadd" is a Poser.. Amsoil pwns all motor oils (with the the appropriate filters of course)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
Originally posted by: Vic

Quote from exec at one of worlds largest advertising firms (friend of family):
It's kinda like cat food. It tells more about the owner than anything else as all cat food carries the same nutrients and as long as they eat it, it's palletable.
Absolutely, positively incorrect.

Oil is not oil. There are very big differences between different oils. The formulation differences between the viscosities, let alone different brands, are vast. Now, whether or not you're going to be able to see those differences is a whole 'nother thread. There are just too many variables. We are talking paper specs here, because those are the only thing we have to go on. Knowing what you are buying is making an informed purchase, and has never hurt anybody.

As for your catfood analogy, again.. absolutely incorrect. So you think dirt-cheap no-name brand catfood has the same quality ingredients that something like Science Diet offers? Nonsense.

As for whether it offers the same nutrition or not, that is debatable. Do packaged or fast foods(tv dinner, mcdonalds) contain the same nutrition as a wholesome, home made meal? Calories, yes. Nutrition, no.

Anyway, Valvoline SynPower 10W-30 isn't quite superior to AMSOil 10W-30, but it is second. It is a very good oil. Havoline Synthetic 10W-30 is also an excellent oil.

Mobil1 is a run of the mill synthetic.

Beware of synthetics like Wal-Mart's SuperTech. You have to debate whether the cost/performance ratio is worth it.

For example, Havoline Petroleum 10W-30(conventional) is better than SuperTech Synthetic 10W-30.

The best price/performance ratio I have been able to find is in the form of Mobil's Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 Conventional oil. It's less than 6$/gallon at Wal-Mart. It has one of the best High Temp/High Shear scores of any oil, 30 or 40 weight; 4.30. It also has a top of the line TBN of 12.0.

Of course, most of you aren't going to want to use 15W-40. Fortunately, you're in luck. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10W-30 is also one of the best petroleum 10W-30's money can buy. It is better than Mobil 1 SuperSyn 10W-30 in every way except cold cranking viscosity.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: OS
man, why is this about my driving. I had this problem for like 20K miles so I must not redline it very often for me to live with it that long. I just need to decide if it's worthwhile to have looked at or not.
There could be a serious issue, so if it still has a warranty on it, get it fixed now before you have to pay for it.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
This car doesn't have true vtec. It has cam phasing, but everyone has that now including mustangs and toyota pickups.

Oct 9, 1999
mobil delvac 15w40 is an awesome oil, so is shell rotella and the stuff i am presently using in my bike Castrol Super RX 15W40.

Trust me mobil1 sucks ass when you got a high revving motorcycle. I am presently using Castrol Super RX, i used to use Castrol GTX for the longest time, but SuperRX kicks ass!

edit: having a 500 rpm from redline vibration is normal... i havent seen a car not have a vibration at that rpms. You shoudlnt be holding that rpm for too long.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I posted on another forum, thanks to vic and eli for giving useful answers.