Buzzing Speakers.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
My dad bought a pair of Harman/Kardon speakers and subwoofer for the family computer. Now, I'm not listening to especially bassy or loud music, nor do I have the volume very high at all, but for some reason, a lot of CD's and/or tracks and mp3's will just buzz on the speakers. You know the sound I'm talking about, when you listen to something too loud and the speakers rattle and make that buzzing noise while they're playing? These things do it ALL the time-I'm not listening to them very loud at all! What's the deal, anyone have something to offer to this?

CinderElmo

Jun 23, 2000
Do you have any interference going on? Having a phone cord too close to it can also make it buzz.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
this happened to me when i ran my comp through my receiver. i fixed it by turning down the sound comming out of the computer. almost turned it off. then i just used the volume on the receiver to m ake it louder. this totally fixed the problim

i dont kniw if this will help you but it might. also check your connections and if you are using CRAP speaker wire. get better wire and plugs that can also help

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
Both of the above have worked for me in different situations. Making sure the master volume in windows is not full blast and new speaker wires.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Not sure according to your description but you can try reversing each of your AC inputs to each component one at a time. A bad ground loop will cause a loud buzzing or hum but your description is not the clearest.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Probably not the case for you, but just a tip for anyone who's in a dorm; having a mini-fridge on the same circuit as your speakers can result in a small "pop" every time the motor in the mini-fridge kicks on. Time for me to buy a small UPS since surge strips aren't helping.

ZV

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Well, you guys' suggestions all sound valid, however, I'm confused as to whether it could be a technical problem, given that it only buzzes with certain speakers and/or certain tracks.