Buying MP3s... a few years later

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
So call me old fashioned... but I have never up til now looked into the whole buy MP3s from Napster or iTunes thing...

I was always a big proponent of the P2P free music concept... I just believe that sharing music should be legal... that my stance... however.. here I am a few years later.. and I am no longer the broke college student who can't afford the music. So I sign up for iTunes... download my first track... Bombs over Baghdad... cool... that was easy.

Now to transfer it over to my motorola Q... oh wait a sec... this isn't an MP3 this is an M4P... which my Q can't play... ok no problem I'll just convert the file to an MP3 and then I can transfer it over... wait I can't convert "protected files"...

So wait a sec... you're telling me that in order for me to play the music I just bought... I have to play it through an iPOD... I can't burn the MP3s to a CD or send them to my smartphone?

Reading further... the only solution I'm hearing is to burn them to a CD first, then rip them back off the CD into MP3 format??!?!?! WTF?!?!?!

So what exactly am I paying for here?

I can just go to *SITE NAME CENSORED* and download all the music I want in MP3 format, ready to go to wherever I want it...

or

I can feel less guilty and go throug an assanine pain in the rear process AND pay for my trouble?

FCK THAT!!! I'm pissed... I realize this is probably an old debate... but I only now am stumbling upon it...

Someone give me a reason I shouldn't get the music the way I want it.... especially if I'm willing to pay for it...

-Max

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Doboji
So call me old fashioned... but I have never up til now looked into the whole buy MP3s from Napster or iTunes thing...

I was always a big proponent of the P2P free music concept... I just believe that sharing music should be legal... that my stance... however.. here I am a few years later.. and I am no longer the broke college student who can't afford the music. So I sign up for iTunes... download my first track... Bombs over Baghdad... cool... that was easy.

Now to transfer it over to my motorola Q... oh wait a sec... this isn't an MP3 this is an M4P... which my Q can't play... ok no problem I'll just convert the file to an MP3 and then I can transfer it over... wait I can't convert "protected files"...

So wait a sec... you're telling me that in order for me to play the music I just bought... I have to play it through an iPOD... I can't burn the MP3s to a CD or send them to my smartphone?

Reading further... the only solution I'm hearing is to burn them to a CD first, then rip them back off the CD into MP3 format??!?!?! WTF?!?!?!

So what exactly am I paying for here?

I can just go to *SITE NAME CENSORED* and download all the music I want in MP3 format, ready to go to wherever I want it...

or

I can feel less guilty and go throug an assanine pain in the rear process AND pay for my trouble?

FCK THAT!!! I'm pissed... I realize this is probably an old debate... but I only now am stumbling upon it...

Someone give me a reason I shouldn't get the music the way I want it.... especially if I'm willing to pay for it...

-Max

you can't be trusted! you'll go and take that music and share with your friends who didn't pay or put it out there for people to download for free!

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
one more person learing what DRM is all about.

Myself, I have an ipod and use itunes, so I buy my music through the itunes store. I can burn a CD if I want to, or listen to it all I want on my ipod.

I actually prefer to buy my music the legal way.

You know, what I don't understand is people obecting to paying for music. Weve always bought vinyl, 8-tracks, casettes, and CDs, and now that we have the internet, we shouldn't have to pay the artists who make the music? I know 90% of the music cost doesn't get anywhere near the artist, but music on itunes is no more expensive than buying a CD, cheaper in most cases.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
You lose for not reading the bold print. You CAN burn them to CD, and nobody sells MP3s (save for <50 tracks on Yahoo, and eMusic's offering), they either sell DRM protected AACs (M4P) or DRM protected WMAs; live with it.

Apr 17, 2005
while i agree with your sentiment on drm in music...you should have looked into it before buying the music on itunes. At the very least you could have asked a question here and gotten an answer in a few minutes. Just saying :)

I'm going to stick with buying CDs for now then I can use it as I please...legally.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
You lose for not reading the bold print. You CAN burn them to CD, and nobody sells MP3s (save for <50 tracks on Yahoo, and eMusic's offering), they either sell DRM protected AACs (M4P) or DRM protected WMAs; live with it.

Yes I will live with it... I won't go download the music for free the way I want it...

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
while i agree with your sentiment on drm in music...you should have looked into it before buying the music on itunes. At the very least you could have asked a question here and gotten an answer in a few minutes. Just saying :)

I'm going to stick with buying CDs for now.

Really I'm not upset about the .99 cents... I'm upset because I want to BUY music that I can use...

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Doboji
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

Yes I will live with it... I won't go download the music for free the way I want it...

Not sure if it's sarcasm or not, but I just buy CDs.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
I buy nothing but CD's. Hope they continue to make them.
Up to around 800 or so CD's now.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Furthermore isn't iTunes violating some law by making it's music only playable on iPODs...

Any respect I was starting to gain for Apple is all gone... they're just as fcktarded as M$...

-Max

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
DRM is evil in any form.

You can still buy music from www.allofmp3.com.
i'll never understand why people pay to pirate.

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
S'why I still buy CDs from Amazon or through FS/FT. Snag em used and save bundles. Rip em to your computer and toss them someplace safe, burn copies or toss them onto my ipod, and be all happy n stuff.

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
i use emusic. Its much better, and pretty cheap. $9.99 for 30 songs, thats 33 cents per song, less than itunes. and its LEGAL :D

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
heh, welcome to the internet?

all we can hope for are the rumors that the RIAA doesn't want apple controlling the online pricing they way they are. So they might go DRM-less. I realize that is wishful thinking... but.. I can hope.

There was also a recent label.. basically an entity for small independent labels to join and have some power. I believe there is a push for mp3's there. And there's always emusic... but I have trouble finding stuff on there and do not like the subscription-esq model they have.

burn and rip is also degradation of quality. but like most drm, it can be broken. So much money is spent and, I believe, wasted here and passed to us :(

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Easy enough. Create audio CD ISO. Mount with Daemon Tools. Rip ISO.
3 steps to get DRM free MP3s. Don't have to use any media either.

Originally posted by: thecrecarc
i use emusic. Its much better, and pretty cheap. $9.99 for 30 songs, thats 33 cents per song, less than itunes. and its LEGAL :D
Yes but eMusic's selection SUCKS!!

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Fraggable
one more person learing what DRM is all about.

Myself, I have an ipod and use itunes, so I buy my music through the itunes store. I can burn a CD if I want to, or listen to it all I want on my ipod.

I actually prefer to buy my music the legal way.

You know, what I don't understand is people obecting to paying for music. Weve always bought vinyl, 8-tracks, casettes, and CDs, and now that we have the internet, we shouldn't have to pay the artists who make the music? I know 90% of the music cost doesn't get anywhere near the artist, but music on itunes is no more expensive than buying a CD, cheaper in most cases.

Thats good and all until you decide you want a non-apple mp3 player. Your library is tied to apple hardware.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I haven't purchased a CD for at least 7 years
I bought 3 CDs a few weeks ago so I could listen to them in my car on the way to work.
For some reason I opened them all.
Come to find out the CD player in my car doesn't work.

I'm never buying another CD again, EVAR

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Originally posted by: Fraggable
Blasphemer! Worse still, a capitalist! Smite him! ;)

Heck, with the ability to purchase single songs now it makes it really cheap as you can cherry pick just the tunes you want and no longer have to buy the entire album. However, it's kind of sad as the day of 'albums' being considered as a whole is quickly fading away.

I do agree that a good DRM needs to take into account reasonable fair use. If I pay for a song, I should be able to burn it to CD (as you can do with Itunes and most non-subscription DRMs) or convert it to other similar media formats for my own personal use without having to pay for the same thing again just to get it in a different format.

I did find it funny that Microsoft took all that DRM flack when they launched the Zune yet you have millions of people locked into Apple's DRM and that rarely takes anywhere near as much flack.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I just did some looking around online for a solution. I found a program called Noteburner which supposedly automates the process of converting M4P to MP3. You have to pay for the program but there is a free trial.