Buying Audioengine A5+ and D1 Dac used. What should I look out for?

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
Buying a pair of A5+ speakers and the D1 Dac for a really good price ($300 CAD ~ $266 USD).

I've never purchased used speakers before but for this price I thought I would take the gamble. Anything I should check on them before buying? He said he would let me hear them before I take them.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
Aside from obvious damage I don't know that there's much to look out for. Just look them over (without the grilles on if they're removable so you can check the drivers) and check all the connections on the back to make sure there's no obvious issues there. When you listen make sure and get a range, don't have to crank them all the way up but make sure they have smooth sound throughout.

These would be new enough that there shouldn't be any degradation of any of the components.

Oh and same with the DAC just check for any obvious physical issues and give it a quick listen and make sure it sounds right through the audio range.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Yeah, pretty straightforward on the speakers...check the goods, give them a listen at low and high levels. The DAC, just make sure all inputs/outputs work. Probably wouldn't even bother verifying if the streams are bit-correct.

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
Picked them up and they sound and work great except for one issue, the D1 DAC isn't being detected by my main laptop (HP ENVY 17 J070ca) running windows 8.1 works on my lenovo and macbook. The HP keeps saying he device connected to the usb has malfunctioned. I've tried a few things, (restart, removing it from device manager) but no go. I guess maybe try reformatting it with a fresh copy of windows?

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Do you have access to anything else to plug it into? I haven't had to troubleshoot too many DACs, they've all just worked for me.

Definitely find another source (computer) first...maybe try a different cable, I dunno.

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
Do you have access to anything else to plug it into? I haven't had to troubleshoot too many DACs, they've all just worked for me.

Definitely find another source (computer) first...maybe try a different cable, I dunno.

Yeah its working perfectly on my Lenovo G570 right now running Windows 7. Some weird issue with that HP laptop or with Windows 8.1. I'm going to try a fresh install of windows 8.1 and try it.

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
Hmmm, something strange going on with that HP laptop, tried all of the USB ports and it works on one of them... I'm going to test a lot of other devices on all of the USB ports in the coming days...

evilspoons

Oct 17, 2005
Try it on your HP again, but through a powered USB hub first (like, one with an AC adapter).

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Try it on your HP again, but through a powered USB hub first (like, one with an AC adapter).

I have that DAC, it gets enough power through USB on its own, if the USB ports are working correctly. It sounds like this guy's HP's aren't.

Mr Write

Oct 8, 2013
I also own the D1. In my experience, it's seems picky with USB ports, and possibly finicky with USB extension cables. This might just be my motherboard though.

Otherwise, it seems to work quite well.

Last edited:

evilspoons

Oct 17, 2005
I have that DAC, it gets enough power through USB on its own, if the USB ports are working correctly. It sounds like this guy's HP's aren't.

Yeah, the powered USB hub solves two potential problems: it gives it a different USB interface to talk to, AND provides power (if the HP is being silly and, say, not turning a port on). Then you can move on to other steps.