Question Buying a ram four pack or two 2 packs

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I'm building an all white rgb build and was thinking of getting this ram.

But I notice that two sticks are $140, coming out to $280 total while four sticks in a set is $300. This then appears to make buying two 2 packs the cheaper option. But could the latency and timings be different between two 2 packs in a way that they might be more consistent with a single 4 pack? Or is this nothing to worry about?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Generally, especially with high end ram like this there's an amount of DIMM matching, so they all will overclock more similarly than two random kits of the same ram.

They also adjust the XMP/built in timing profile to work across 4 sticks vs 2, so even if you just flip on the switch there's less of a chance of instability with a matched set of 4.

If I knew I wanted 4 sticks up front, I'd buy the 4 pack.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
A 4-pack is usually guaranteed to work together, but I've never had a problem running 2 2-packs. I see they're returnable until Jan. 31 , 2022. The Vengeance RGB Pro (White) are $200 for a 4x8GB kit at same speed and Vengeance RGB Pro SL is $179 for 2x16GB. The only difference I could see was the Dominator has 12 addressable LEDs while the other 2 have a single 10 LED bar (and the SL are 7mm shorter).

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
One thing to consider, with a 4 pack, is that if 1 dimm is bad you will likely have to return all 4.
This could mean downtime. I generally rather purchase individual dimms or two dual dimm sets because of this.
I doubt they do much matching these days, if any, unless it's some kind of highend pre overclocked kit.

Reactions: Meghan54

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Not sure if I'm missing anything here, but why wouldn't you want to run 2 sticks? Less power and less problems with reaching good timings if you OC. Higher capacity sticks are also very likely to be dual rank, so you're not missing out on that small performance bump because of that either.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm building an all white rgb build and was thinking of getting this ram.

But I notice that two sticks are $140, coming out to $280 total while four sticks in a set is $300. This then appears to make buying two 2 packs the cheaper option. But could the latency and timings be different between two 2 packs in a way that they might be more consistent with a single 4 pack? Or is this nothing to worry about?
The price dropped! Get while the getting's good 😊

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Not sure if I'm missing anything here, but why wouldn't you want to run 2 sticks? Less power and less problems with reaching good timings if you OC. Higher capacity sticks are also very likely to be dual rank, so you're not missing out on that small performance bump because of that either.
but, moar rgb...

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Got the ram 4 pack. It looks super gorgeous but after running it without a hitch for half a day the computer just locked up while watching youtube. I know there are a ton of ram stability test programs out there, but what would you guys suggest? I'd use the Windows check but it takes hours and has a blink or you miss it result screen. Freakin' Microsoft.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Got the ram 4 pack. It looks super gorgeous but after running it without a hitch for half a day the computer just locked up while watching youtube. I know there are a ton of ram stability test programs out there, but what would you guys suggest? I'd use the Windows check but it takes hours and has a blink or you miss it result screen. Freakin' Microsoft.

Memtest86, where you make a bootable USB drive and boot into the test. It's the most thorough, reliable memory test.

Reactions: Sonikku